ADVERTISEMENT

Law

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
After saying that I was disappointed that Law wasn't more aggressive in the first two games, I think his play against Creighton outweighs the negatives in the loss. He was pretty spectacular when you consider that he was guarding their best player. I know he's not going to shoot from 3 like that very often, but if he can score in a variety of ways like he did in that game, we are going to be tough to stop because I (of course) expect Lindsey to play much better throughout the season. We are a really good team when both of them are scoring 15 plus points. I think our defense will improve as the season goes on. Communication will improve and the younger guys will get better. Our bench needs to relax. I know Collins has a quick hook and that's probably not helping but they are really tight out there. I hope if a few shots start falling, they will just play basketball and start to make meaningful contributions.

After saying that I was disappointed that Law wasn't more aggressive in the first two games, I think his play against Creighton outweighs the negatives in the loss. He was pretty spectacular when you consider that he was guarding their best player. I know he's not going to shoot from 3 like that very often, but if he can score in a variety of ways like he did in that game, we are going to be tough to stop because I (of course) expect Lindsey to play much better throughout the season. We are a really good team when both of them are scoring 15 plus points. I think our defense will improve as the season goes on. Communication will improve and the younger guys will get better. Our bench needs to relax. I know Collins has a quick hook and that's probably not helping but they are really tight out there. I hope if a few shots start falling, they will just play basketball and start to make meaningful contributions.
Also when Falzon gets healthy it will take away minutes from NU's weakest defender, Skelly. Don't get me wrong he a definite plus on the offensive end but the opposite on defense.

Also when Falzon gets healthy it will take away minutes from NU's weakest defender, Skelly. Don't get me wrong he a definite plus on the offensive end but the opposite on defense.
Falzon is not an upgrade to Skelly on defense. Both are weak links. And Aaron will be still recovering from his injuries.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Statistically speaking, Law is currently the best career three point shooter on the team. He's also the best defender. It's not easy to exert that level of effort on defense and then shoot with accuracy from distance which takes strength, technique and discipline. Also, Law is defended well on a good number of threes....but he elevates above defender. He's a special player.

Falzon is not an upgrade to Skelly on defense. Both are weak links. And Aaron will be still recovering from his injuries.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. You do not think that Skelly is not a very good defender? One thing Falzon did his freshman year was hustle and fight for rebounds. Skelly, not so much. Oh and Falzon will likely score at least 5 point more per game.

I think they are apples and oranges. Skelly has filled out and is on the weightier end of the stretch 4 and part time 5. Falzon is a wing up to the smaller end of the stretch 4. Falzon has quicker feet than Skelly and moves well, but not the bulk to contend with the bigger players. They are both pretty feisty.

I absolutely loved Law's post-game interview. BMac too, but his comments about having seen some star players in the Big Ten come and go, and how this is a blue collar group, was great. This team will be just fine with leaders like that.

Reactions: NJCat
I think they are apples and oranges. Skelly has filled out and is on the weightier end of the stretch 4 and part time 5. Falzon is a wing up to the smaller end of the stretch 4. Falzon has quicker feet than Skelly and moves well, but not the bulk to contend with the bigger players. They are both pretty feisty.
I must confess that I don't recall thinking that Falzon had quick feet or moved well. He has the potential to be a great shooter who gets his shot off quickly, but I thought he was pretty one dimensional his freshman year. Skelly has his fouling issues but I thought he was more athletic than Falzon. Hope I am wrong.

Reactions: NJCat

What bigger players at the 4 will they really have to face? There really aren't a lot of big teams out there these days. Even Mich St, watching them against Duke, are not that big. Purdue is at the 5, but not at the 4. I'm not as worried about guarding traditional (old school) power forwards as I am about athletic, quick 4s that are basially Wings now in the modern small ball offenses focused on pushing the ball in transition and shooting 3s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT