ADVERTISEMENT

Lawsuits and Directly Salaried Players

AdamOnFirst

Nov 29, 2021
  • Love
Reactions: CatManTrue
"It ... offers no real ruling on Title IX’s application in such a compensation model."

This is a very sticky point, buried within the article. Can't have separate rules for the men and women.

"It ... offers no real ruling on Title IX’s application in such a compensation model."

This is a very sticky point, buried within the article. Can't have separate rules for the men and women.
Honestly maybe you can I have no idea how that would go under title IX, which never remotely considered a world where athletes are just paid rather than offered scholarship opportunities

Honestly maybe you can I have no idea how that would go under title IX, which never remotely considered a world where athletes are just paid rather than offered scholarship opportunities
If they are paid directly by the universities, I don't see how paying female athletes less could possibly survive a Title IX court challenge.

Since athletes right now are being paid by third parties not subject to Title IX restrictions, they have a way of getting around it, but I think this wild west arrangement is unsustainable for other reasons.

The system is working quite nicely.

Did anyone notice that Caitlin Clark and the other women’s basketball players made boatloads of money last season, and maybe even more than star quarterbacks did? The top paid athletes were the superstars, as they should be fairly compensated.

Can we just let the free market work its wonders yet again to fix collegiate sports?

What am I missing here?

I'm still leery that the boosters of the factory schools aren't driving their NIL programs with a wink from the school - in other words CHEATING! Yeah, the boosters are at a supposed arms length from the institution, but are they really? There used to be rules that limited boosters from paying players. This is no longer the case. A supporter of the program can now pay a player if he has no connection to the school other than being a supporter of the football program. All the player needs to do is support a product that the booster owns, sells, or supports. Any room for cheating here? Just very suspect in how this is being administrated at various places. Do you think Alabama and Texas NIL programs are run the same way NU has chosen to run theirs?

If you let "the free market work its wonders" without any oversight by a college sports governing body, I think you'll eventually end up with players being employees. They will receive compensation from the school, AND, if they are stars, NIL. Again, if you let the free market work its wonders, where do you think a school like NU will end up when they stick to principles like, "You have a scholarship for up to 5 years, no matter if you're injured, or if you don't perform".

If you are OK with the players getting direct compensation from the school, {which is NOT the current situation using (cough) NIL}, then you can't fault the school for cutting loose non performers after two years in the program. Which is exactly what is happening right now at other places. You may think the current situation is just fine. I don't. Too much room for gaming the system, and NOBODY has come up with a good, and fair, solution.

I'm still leery that the boosters of the factory schools aren't driving their NIL programs with a wink from the school - in other words CHEATING! Yeah, the boosters are at a supposed arms length from the institution, but are they really? There used to be rules that limited boosters from paying players. This is no longer the case. A supporter of the program can now pay a player if he has no connection to the school other than being a supporter of the football program. All the player needs to do is support a product that the booster owns, sells, or supports. Any room for cheating here? Just very suspect in how this is being administrated at various places. Do you think Alabama and Texas NIL programs are run the same way NU has chosen to run theirs?

If you let "the free market work its wonders" without any oversight by a college sports governing body, I think you'll eventually end up with players being employees. They will receive compensation from the school, AND, if they are stars, NIL. Again, if you let the free market work its wonders, where do you think a school like NU will end up when they stick to principles like, "You have a scholarship for up to 5 years, no matter if you're injured, or if you don't perform".

If you are OK with the players getting direct compensation from the school, {which is NOT the current situation using (cough) NIL}, then you can't fault the school for cutting loose non performers after two years in the program. Which is exactly what is happening right now at other places. You may think the current situation is just fine. I don't. Too much room for gaming the system, and NOBODY has come up with a good, and fair, solution.
UTEP had a wide receiver (Tyrin Smith, who actually has a thread on this Northwestern board because we talked about him: https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-utep-top-wr-transferring-to-atm.64751/) take NIL money to transfer to Texas A&M, then before playing a down for A&M, transferred back to UTEP and took NIL money. Then after exactly 4 games, he "sat himself" for the rest of the season due to "injury" to take a medical redshirt, which inspired an epidemic of other players on the team sitting themselves due to injury. And now he has transferred to Cincinnati to take more NIL money.

When players aren't direct employees of the teams they play for, then they can game the system like this. After all, they're only being paid for their name, image, and likeness, not for their performance on the field. What recourse do the fools paying these players under the pretense of NIL have if the players choose not to stick around after taking the money?

The system is working quite nicely.

Did anyone notice that Caitlin Clark and the other women’s basketball players made boatloads of money last season, and maybe even more than star quarterbacks did? The top paid athletes were the superstars, as they should be fairly compensated.

Can we just let the free market work its wonders yet again to fix collegiate sports?

What am I missing here?
What is "fairly compensated" anyway? They can go pro in other ways than the NFL and NBA. How much would they make in those other leagues? More than the value of their education and development at college programs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT