ADVERTISEMENT

Likelihood of no CFB in 2020

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
I don’t see how kids can play sports when they aren’t allowed on campus.

At this point I see a 75 percent chance the season is cancelled

I'm hoping for conference play only in the fall. I assume a few conferences (Pac 12) won't play in the fall. I don't see spring working out at all. Its fall or nothing. I think the SEC and ACC will definitly play, and hopefully the Big Ten.

I'm hoping for conference play only in the fall. I assume a few conferences (Pac 12) won't play in the fall. I don't see spring working out at all. Its fall or nothing. I think the SEC and ACC will definitely play, and hopefully the Big Ten.

BIG 12 will play too...

I'm hoping for conference play only in the fall. I assume a few conferences (Pac 12) won't play in the fall. I don't see spring working out at all. Its fall or nothing. I think the SEC and ACC will definitly play, and hopefully the Big Ten.
If students aren’t on campus, no football. I seriously doubt students will be on campus. Ergo....

Reactions: willycat
I don’t see how kids can play sports when they aren’t allowed on campus.

At this point I see a 75 percent chance the season is cancelled
Probably closer to 90%. Can't have football without student athletes!

I think it’s a 50/50 proposition right now. There will be no football if students aren’t allowed back on campus but I am still hopeful they will be. Lot’s of discussion going on right now on how to best accomplish this.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Probably closer to 90%. Can't have football without student athletes!
I agree with Willy, but even higher. It's not the presence of students on campus (who can be safely distanced by seat placement and orderly exits and entrances from rooms) but the safe mix of combatants on the field who are exchanging multiple bodily fluids each play in the face of a second wave of virus cases expected in the fall. No school will place their prize students in harms way for the sake of a game. This follows the standard " 4 years for 40" that these athletes will be sacrificing. We will have to be satisfied with reruns and a quiet fall season this year with the hopes of a viable vaccine and /or treatment coming in 2021.

I wouldn't rule out playing football games without students on campus, though I'm not saying it's likely.

It's a lot easier to test, track and protect 200 people than 2,000 people.

But that would be an implicit acknowledgement that the players are not truly student athletes. They are money makers for a system they don’t fairly benefit from. I am not supportive of that mindset and approach.

But that would be an implicit acknowledgment that the players are not truly student-athletes. They are money makers for a system they don’t fairly benefit from. I am not supportive of that mindset and approach.

For better or worse, universities are more than undergraduate students. Teaching hospitals and researchers may be allowed to stay open. Also, not playing games may harm the ability of some student-athletes to earn a living after college (i.e. some do benefit from playing). There doesn't have to be a one-size-fits-all approach.

But that would be an implicit acknowledgement that the players are not truly student athletes. They are money makers for a system they don’t fairly benefit from. I am not supportive of that mindset and approach.
Why? I would think they would still be taking classes remotely, thereby passing the “student athletes” scam that the NCAA promotes. Money is the universal language and any justification at all of playing will be sought after.

I look forward to collegiate bowling this fall

I doubt we will see bowling. The balls would have to be disinfected after each roll. The disinfectant will alter the lane surfaces resulting in a one or two diamond adjustment during delivery.The left handed advantage will be insurmountable due to more disinfectant being applied to the right side

You really have to understand the "principle of unintended consequences" before allowing such unfair competition

Why? I would think they would still be taking classes remotely, thereby passing the “student athletes” scam that the NCAA promotes. Money is the universal language and any justification at all of playing will be sought after.

You answered your own question. Because the only reason we would subject the football players to undue health risks by playing when we are not willing to let other students back on campus because of that same risk is money. At that point the players would be justified in saying they are not really student athletes but rather captive employees of the NCAA who should be paid.

For better or worse, universities are more than undergraduate students. Teaching hospitals and researchers may be allowed to stay open. Also, not playing games may harm the ability of some student-athletes to earn a living after college (i.e. some do benefit from playing). There doesn't have to be a one-size-fits-all approach.

Those people who work in hospitals and do research are paid professionals, not students. There is a big difference.

Those people who work in hospitals and do research are paid professionals, not students. There is a big difference.
Not true. I have graduate students who do research. Some are still active now doing essential research and the rest are going back to work next week. Now, we have moved all classes online.

Sadly I could also see a scenario where some schools play and some don't. Even within the B1G NU is close to Chicago and Rutgers is in NJ, so I could see NU and Rutgers not playing while other schools do play. Maybe Illinois will play but it will depend on how downstate IL does. Right now Chicago/Cook county aren't showing many signs of significant improvement

Not true. I have graduate students who do research. Some are still active now doing essential research and the rest are going back to work next week. Now, we have moved all classes online.

That’s a small minority. Besides, Doing research in a lab with a few other people is much different than having thousands of kids back on campus interacting In confined spaces. If it can’t be done safely for the entire student population, we shouldn’t do it for football players just because the schools make money off of it and the fans want to watch the games.

The issues with in-person university education begin with the living situation. Social distancing is impossible, even in a dorm like Foster-Walker. Think about roommates, the apartments we used to live in, even in suite setups like 1835 Hinman. Hard to minimize spread of germs if that's a primary objective. That plus a higher incidence of international students than when I was there in the late 80s.

Bringing it back to football, all it takes is a state to make a blanket restriction and a conference schedule becomes hard to pull off. In the case of the Mountain West, they have three FBS universities in the Cal State system with virtual classes only.

It's possible for all schools with in-person attendance rejiggering their schedules to play one another. But managing common open dates and traveling to different (less familiar) non-conference matchups are not easy to pull off in a matter of months.

Sadly I could also see a scenario where some schools play and some don't. Even within the B1G NU is close to Chicago and Rutgers is in NJ, so I could see NU and Rutgers not playing while other schools do play. Maybe Illinois will play but it will depend on how downstate IL does. Right now Chicago/Cook county aren't showing many signs of significant improvement
Maybe we can turn WR into an infirmary for the overflow that can’t be housed in McCormick Place?

I think it would be a sad conference that would allow some schools to play while others didn't have the opportunity, but I wouldn't put anything past college sports these days.

I think it would be a sad conference that would allow some schools to play while others didn't have the opportunity, but I wouldn't put anything past college sports these days.
Same with the MLB billionaire owners. Wanting to pay less then was previously agreed upon, while the players take all the risks. I know I wouldn't want my kid to play college of pro football at this time.

On the other hand one could see leniency being given to students in such schools being allowed to transfer and play immediately.

I suspect that states will force schools' hands and that will be that, but I also would not be surprised for individual schools to just make the choice themselves to cancel their seasons. It won't be easy to do so, but there be schools that will do it before others, and then the dominoes will fall. I would not be surprised if Northwestern is one of the first schools to do this, because it just seems like the thing they would do.

On the other hand one could see leniency being given to students in such schools being allowed to transfer and play immediately.

I suspect that states will force schools' hands and that will be that, but I also would not be surprised for individual schools to just make the choice themselves to cancel their seasons. It won't be easy to do so, but there be schools that will do it before others, and then the dominoes will fall. I would not be surprised if Northwestern is one of the first schools to do this, because it just seems like the thing they would do.

In this scenario, I could see Northwestern losing some of their four star players to schools that will be playing this season.

In this scenario, I could see Northwestern losing some of their four star players to schools that will be playing this season.
I just don’t see NU not playing unless the State prohibits or the conference shuts it down. Shutting down unilaterally would be odd in that everyone would have the same medical information. This has to be all play or no one plays when it comes to a conference.

I just don’t see NU not playing unless the State prohibits or the conference shuts it down. Shutting down unilaterally would be odd in that everyone would have the same medical information. This has to be all play or no one plays when it comes to a conference.

As you can see plainly in the current public discourse, having access to the same “facts” doesn’t lead people to reach the same conclusions. Logical thinking is not a universally common skill set.

well the governor of Illinois has declared that there would not be an activity with more that ten people. Think Michigan has declared the same. Ohio? New Jersey?

Could NU play all their games as away games? And then figure something out for the IL game.

Could NU play all their games as away games? And then figure something out for the IL game.

Yes

Jim Phillips is already making arrangements to get a charter to Anchorage where the NU players will meet up here with the bused here Illini. To save on transportation costs the Dimond High Lynx will lend their Wildcat look-a-like mascot and an Arctic Fox fur trimmed fedora will be substituted for "The Hat."

Here is a capture of the appointed committee working out the rest of the details along with a view of the Dimond High field on which the game will be played on a by then snow plowed field.

DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0390-2.jpg

Last edited:
Same with the MLB billionaire owners. Wanting to pay less then was previously agreed upon, while the players take all the risks. I know I wouldn't want my kid to play college of pro football at this time.

I didn't think it was possible people would defend worthless garbage like Snell and Bauer who wont play a 3 month season for $2 million+ each, but here we are.

Compared to grocery store workers, food plant workers, hospital staff, playing baseball in an isolated environment is laughable to be called a risk.

The owners proposed a 50/50 revenue split. NFL players just accepted a 47/53 split. But baseball players get more and are pouting instead of negotiating? What a joke. The most out of touch humans in the world are baseball millionaires and the people who white knight them

Reactions: corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT