ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I picked up a Lindy's preseason magazine yesterday, and wanted to see where NU was ranked. I flipped to the "26-130" page, or whatever, and scanned the first column (which probably went to like 75 or 80), expecting to be outraged at how poorly rated NU was. Nothing in the first column. I looked again. Not there.

Now I was REALLY outraged. We're ranked over 80? Who would do such a thing? We have Thorson and JJTBC coming back! Clearly the idiots at Lindy's don't know anything. They probably got mixed up with all the Justin Jacksons and thought Clayton Thorson was pitching for the Dodgers or something.

Nothing in the second column either. Now this was weird. Where were they? I scanned both columns again. I couldn't figure it out.

I glanced at the opposite page, where the bottom of the top 25 were listed, with much bigger blurbs, and there we were - #21.

I'm so conditioned to finding us between about 30 and 55 every preseason that it hardly even crossed my mind to look in the top 25.

So yeah, it's only Lindy's and all that, but cool. We're #21!

Last edited:
Sounds about right for preseason. After winning the B1G, should be top 5 by end of the season.

Sounds about right for preseason. After winning the B1G, should be top 5 by end of the season.
Being in the top five at the end of the season would be awesome but I would not think it was a failed season if we ended 21st.

Minor quibble.....AC was very good, but not the best WR in NU history.....D'Wayne Bates is far and away the best.

I'd also say Curtis Duncan, Steve Tasker, Jeremy Ebert, and Richard Buchanan could arguably be put above Carr.

Carr did know how to get open though. But, the athleticism was not quite the level of some of these other guys who also knew how to get separation and catch.

I'd also say Curtis Duncan, Steve Tasker, Jeremy Ebert, and Richard Buchanan could arguably be put above Carr.

Carr did know how to get open though. But, the athleticism was not quite the level of some of these other guys who also knew how to get separation and catch.
How many did Carr drop last season?

Without looking, I'd say Carr had more catches in one year than Duncan/Tasker combined careers. Yes it was a different offense, but Carr had a special year.

It was a long time ago and my memory of Duncan and Tasker are clouded by age and alcohol(at the time),, but I think of them more as return guys. Tasker was "edge of the seat " when he got a punt

Huh? Pretty sure Tasker didn't do much as a WR at NU, but was an excellent special teams player.

Could we win the first game, first? and then quibble...
There was another thread which spoke about the importance of this year's conference opener. I agree that we will know A LOT about this season after the Wisconsin game. We will be done with non-conference and the team-to-beat in the West. Early season is going to be a ride this year.

Huh? Pretty sure Tasker didn't do much as a WR at NU, but was an excellent special teams player.

I agree, Tasker didn't even start as a receiver but was outstanding returning punts.

A slap in the face to Carr. Why you do dat, E? Carr was plenty athletic, caught everything thrown his way, had amazing sideline awareness, was as clutch as they come, and gained huge chunks of yards at a time.

Before last season began and this board was discussing who would be the leading receiver, the one thing that stood out to me about Carr was that even though he didn't have a lot receptions the previous season, his ypc average was pretty impressive and he had showed glimpses of being able to get open.

Carr's best years as a receiver may still be ahead of him. Then E can add him to his list of backward-looking grievances of why an NFL player didn't get more playing time at NU. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gladeskat
Without looking, I'd say Carr had more catches in one year than Duncan/Tasker combined careers. Yes it was a different offense, but Carr had a special year.

It was a long time ago and my memory of Duncan and Tasker are clouded by age and alcohol(at the time),, but I think of them more as return guys. Tasker was "edge of the seat " when he got a punt

Fair. Carr was great for us for sure. Not down on him, just giving propers to a few other Cat greats and being a devil's advocate. I used the word "arguably."

This is like the Anderson vs. Autry discussion. Anderson had 2000 yards, but how come people pick Autry over DA2? It's not just about stats.

This said, I only saw Duncan in the League and same as Tasker - I put them in for the sake of argument. Ebert and Buchanan I did see, and it's hard for me to say that Carr is definitively a cut above them. Buchanan could go up and win jump balls with the best defenders in the League. Ebert was ridiculously fast. We'll see if Carr catches on in the league.

Of all places I was surprised to come across a copy of Lindy's preseason magazine on the shelves of a bookstore in Yokohama the week before last. Yes, it was the English language section, but the selection of available magazines published in English was less than two dozen.

Shouldn't Lee Gissendaner enter the conversation somehow?
How many of the others were official B1G MVP's (<--) (while still playing in the semi-dark ages, to boot (i.e., pre-RB GB years))?
Yes, he won mostly for his exploits as a P-returner, but still managed to lead the conference with 68 receptions for 846 yards and six touchdowns...that should count for something.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I picked up a Lindy's preseason magazine yesterday, and wanted to see where NU was ranked. I flipped to the "26-130" page, or whatever, and scanned the first column (which probably went to like 75 or 80), expecting to be outraged at how poorly rated NU was. Nothing in the first column. I looked again. Not there.

Now I was REALLY outraged. We're ranked over 80? Who would do such a thing? We have Thorson and JJTBC coming back! Clearly the idiots at Lindy's don't know anything. They probably got mixed up with all the Justin Jacksons and thought Clayton Thorson was pitching for the Dodgers or something.

Nothing in the second column either. Now this was weird. Where were they? I scanned both columns again. I couldn't figure it out.

I glanced at the opposite page, where the bottom of the top 25 were listed, with much bigger blurbs, and there we were - #21.

I'm so conditioned to finding us between about 30 and 55 every preseason that it hardly even crossed my mind to look in the top 25.

It's all about C Thorson. His improvement last year was very interesting. Credit McCall.

A pasttime growing up was my father would always purchase Street & Smith's summer magazine. I'd spend hours indulging and studying. They got bought out 10-12 years ago.

I got a text from my father yesterday that apparently they're back. No big deal, but this thread reminded me of it.

Reactions: DaCat
Shouldn't Lee Gissendaner enter the conversation somehow?
How many of the others were official B1G MVP's (<--) (while still playing in the semi-dark ages, to boot (i.e., pre-RB GB years))?
Yes, he won mostly for his exploits as a P-returner, but still managed to lead the conference with 68 receptions for 846 yards and six touchdowns...that should count for something.
Paul FLat

I would add Paul Flatley.

A pasttime growing up was my father would always purchase Street & Smith's summer magazine. I'd spend hours indulging and studying. They got bought out 10-12 years ago.

I got a text from my father yesterday that apparently they're back. No big deal, but this thread reminded me of it.

I used to love reading Street and Smith's. Did not realize they were back. Will have to look for it on the shelves.

Me too. I'm 72 and during the 1950's, I would literally memorize every issue------same with basketball.

Me too. I'm 72 and during the 1950's, I would literally memorize every issue------same with basketball.
I've got you by 2 years and would do essentially the same thing with the Street and Smiths football and basketball issues. Glad they're back.

I've got you by 2 years and would do essentially the same thing with the Street and Smiths football and basketball issues. Glad they're back.

I read them both religiously for years and years. For a long time it was the only publication I knew about.

Me too. I especially loved their baseball coverage.

It appears that Lindy's was fairy accurate...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT