ADVERTISEMENT

Lisa Byington pxp for BTN/NU game vs BG

mickbula

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2011
Alma Ata, Kazakhstan
I couldn't find anything on other threads about this/maybe I missed it. But did anybody take note that Lisa Byington, a mid-90's Northwestern graduate will be calling the pxp for the BG/NU game on BTN this Saturday? This will be a first for the network and quite a big deal. I have enjoyed listening to another woman on espn (I think her name is Beth Mowins or something like that) do the play by play for that network. But as far as I know, Lisa will be the first for BTN. There was a nice article about Lisa in the Chicago Tribune this week near the back of the sports section. From what I understand, she has been fully prepped in just about everything to do with each team and most likely will do a great job. She was a scholarship basketball player at NU and walked on to the women's soccer team too. A lot of people will be rooting for her in addition to the NU players. Was anybody on WR friends with her while they were students at NU? She came a few years after I graduated.

Reactions: rmndcat and Noah121
I couldn't find anything on other threads about this/maybe I missed it. But did anybody take note that Lisa Byington, a mid-90's Northwestern graduate will be calling the pxp for the BG/NU game on BTN this Saturday? This will be a first for the network and quite a big deal. I have enjoyed listening to another woman on espn (I think her name is Beth Mowins or something like that) do the play by play for that network. But as far as I know, Lisa will be the first for BTN. There was a nice article about Lisa in the Chicago Tribune this week near the back of the sports section. From what I understand, she has been fully prepped in just about everything to do with each team and most likely will do a great job. She was a scholarship basketball player at NU and walked on to the women's soccer team too. A lot of people will be rooting for her in addition to the NU players. Was anybody on WR friends with her while they were students at NU? She came a few years after I graduated.
If you are a fan of Beth Mowins, you should be pleased that she is calling NFL games now. I used to hate her voice but it grew on me over time since she seemed to do a lot of Cats games.

Byington doing PxP has gotten some attention. I believe Fitz even made a point of mentioning it at his Presser this week, and mentioned that they were at NU together.

I was always looking for a pickup bball game and played with her and the women's team at Patton a number of times. Incredibly nice person and good player. Although she never blocked my shot like Dwayne Bates did....

Great to see her doing so well and taking on the role at BTN. She's doing a great job!

I thought she sounded great tonight - certainly didn't feel like someone doing play by play for the first time.

Fitz just gave her an extended congrats and shout out on the WGN post game interview. Very cool.

Reactions: Noah121
Lisa did an awesome job on the play-by-play!
At the end of the broadcast they showed some pictures of her in uniform - one was an action shot and she joked it must have been during warmups as she was the backup PG. She did well calling her first game and partnered nicely with Long, she should get to call many more.

Reactions: Noah121 and rmndcat
I actually wish we had Long every game, I find him to be quite insightful not only at the QB position (naturally) but with other position groups as well, as well as coaching and playcalling.

I actually wish we had Long every game, I find him to be quite insightful not only at the QB position (naturally) but with other position groups as well, as well as coaching and playcalling.

I agree. Plus he's kind of funny. He's not Chris Rock or anything, but he has a good self-deprecating humor that feels natural. I'd take Long/Byington again in a heartbeat.

I thought she was excellent. When I listen to Beth Mowins call a game (I watched the Memphis State game earlier), I always think I am listening to a woman trying too hard to sound like a man. However, Lisa came across natural and professional. I never thought about the fact that a woman was calling the game.

I agree that she had an outstanding debut. I think she will be very successful and I wouldn't be surprised to see her doing some of the big games

I agree that she had an outstanding debut. I think she will be very successful and I wouldn't be surprised to see her doing some of the big games

I'm sorry, but if you are not listening to Dave Eanet and Ted Albrecht you're not listening to Northwestern Football.

If you have a DVR and a computer (or smart phone) it's very easy to sync the wgnam.com feed to the TV. I've written about how to do it numerous times and it amazes me how few seem to do it.

And it doesn't really matter how good or bad Lisa or anyone is as a pxp. The difference between any of the BTN or ESPN announcers and Dave is night and day..

So you may be listening to BTN football, but you're not listening to true Northwestern Football.

GO CATS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT