ADVERTISEMENT

Local Football

No Chores

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2006
Here in Erie Pa., all local high school teams are practicing and scrimmaging. Gannon University, a local college has students and athletes on campus and
practicing about 3 blocks from my office. No significant problems. Willy, maybe you should move to Erie Pa. My wife and I just had dinner at an excellent Italian restaurant nearby to celebrate our 49th Anniversary. Eastern Europe for the big one next year!

Here in Erie Pa., all local high school teams are practicing and scrimmaging. Gannon University, a local college has students and athletes on campus and
practicing about 3 blocks from my office. No significant problems. Willy, maybe you should move to Erie Pa. My wife and I just had dinner at an excellent Italian restaurant nearby to celebrate our 49th Anniversary. Eastern Europe for the big one next year!
Willy is too busy bitching about anything and everything to even visit Erie, PA.

Happy #49! Hope you have many, many more!

Just curious... what kind of gift did you get her for the 49th? And are you planning something splashy for the big 5-0?

Just curious... what kind of gift did you get her for the 49th? And are you planning something splashy for the big 5-0?
A couple of little goodies from my favorite local jeweler not real expensive. We're headed for Budapest, Vienna, and Prague next year for our 50th where I'm sure we'll unearth some old European gold. My spouse has survived 4 bouts of cancer but is now doing very well and is back up to her regular playing weight of 105. She's well known to many on the Board, including such luminaries as FloridAlum, willy, and GOUNUII to name a few.

A couple of little goodies from my favorite local jeweler not real expensive. We're headed for Budapest, Vienna, and Prague next year for our 50th where I'm sure we'll unearth some old European gold. My spouse has survived 4 bouts of cancer but is now doing very well and is back up to her regular playing weight of 105. She's well known to many on the Board, including such luminaries as FloridAlum, willy, and GOUNUII to name a few.

A smoking hot 105 I might add. Congrats to both of you No Chores. Looking forward to seeing both of you again soon.

GOUNUII

Reactions: No Chores
A smoking hot 105 I might add. Congrats to both of you No Chores. Looking forward to seeing both of you again soon.

GOUNUII
I will pass this on to her asap. There's a reason she has always been very fond of you and your much better half!

Congratulations. Sounds like a fairy tale marriage. The trip for your 50th sounds fantastic. Celebrating my 30th next summer and am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Europe. Hopefully this pandemic will be in our rear view mirror by then.

Congratulations. Sounds like a fairy tale marriage. The trip for your 50th sounds fantastic. Celebrating my 30th next summer and am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Europe. Hopefully this pandemic will be in our rear view mirror by then.
Thanks corbi. My wife and I started to travel out of the U.S. when I was finally able to cut back my litigation caseload significantly. We've been to a whole bunch of places since then, including Paris, London, Madrid, Seville, Rome, Florence, and Venice in Europe. Other personal favorites included South Africa, New Zealand,and Australia. Obviously, I'm a lot older than you are, so you've got plenty of time. Be in touch anytime about planning your Europe trip and I'be happy to give you some tips and insights.

Great to hear that the better half is doing so well. I've been to Prague a few times , have relatives there and loved it. It's one of the few cities that didn't suffer any damage in the WWII.

Great to hear that the better half is doing so well. I've been to Prague a few times , have relatives there and loved it. It's one of the few cities that didn't suffer any damage in the WWII.
Thanks willy. Remember the great photo of all of us outside the Purple Party at Duke? You and my wife were featured. Good to know about Prague - we're really looking forward to it.

Thanks willy. Remember the great photo of all of us outside the Purple Party at Duke? You and my wife were featured. Good to know about Prague - we're really looking forward to it.

I believe I have that photo somewhere, probably on the photo bucket, but I’m not sure if I can find it

.....My spouse has survived 4 bouts of cancer but is now doing very well and is back up to her regular playing weight of 105. She's well known to many on the Board, including such luminaries as FloridAlum, willy, and GOUNUII to name a few.

That is really great to hear. Happy for you both and the best for the anniversary plans.

DSC_0101.jpg

I believe I have that photo somewhere, probably on the photo bucket, but I’m not sure if I can find it
That was the second Purple Party my wife and I attended - the first was at Miami of Ohio. You might recall that the first one at Duke was iffy because of the hurricane. We drove and got out of the bad wind and rain about 20 miles outside of Durham. The photo was taken outside of the party location about 4 times by four different people, so we were all in it at various times, but someone was always missing. My wife was the only woman in the photo, and I remember uber and others commenting that she was truly a rose among many thorns. Great memories!

That is really great to hear. Happy for you both and the best for the anniversary plans.

DSC_0101.jpg
Wow Alaska, it's amazing how fast you can produce these things! Your photos are terrific. Do you recall what year that was?

Wow Alaska, it's amazing how fast you can produce these things! Your photos are terrific. Do you recall what year that was?

I believe it was on the occasion of the Vanderbilt game held there on September 4, 2010.

It would have been our opening game of the season and Northwestern pulled out a close win at 23-21.

Two things stand out for me apart from the game. First was just by chance running into the both of you as I toured the campus and second was getting pulled over by a policeman after the game for not having my lights turned on though he didn't give me a ticket despite Northwestern winning. (I guess he sympathized with my explanation that the car I was used to driving had an automatic light turning on feature.)

Last edited:
I believe it was on the occasion of the Vanderbilt game held there on September 4, 2010.

It would have been our opening game of the season and Northwestern pulled out a close win at 23-21.

Two things stand out for me apart from the game. First was just by chance running into the both of you as I toured the campus and second was getting pulled over by a policeman after the game for not having my lights turned on though he didn't give me a ticket despite Northwestern winning. (I guess he sympathized with my explanation that the car I was used to driving had an automatic light turning on feature.)
Yet another anniversary photo! I remember well bumping into you when we were touring the campus, but I had no idea you had committed a flagrant moving violation later. Fun game too. We found GOUNUII and his lovely wife before the game, did the Purple Party with them and the watched some other games on T.V. before our night game. After our game we had a nightcap at a brewpub with The Waterboy.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
That was the second Purple Party my wife and I attended - the first was at Miami of Ohio. You might recall that the first one at Duke was iffy because of the hurricane. We drove and got out of the bad wind and rain about 20 miles outside of Durham. The photo was taken outside of the party location about 4 times by four different people, so we were all in it at various times, but someone was always missing. My wife was the only woman in the photo, and I remember uber and others commenting that she was truly a rose among many thorns. Great memories!

OK, let’s see if I can jog your memory a little. The first Purple Party at Duke was in 2008.(We have been there two other times since then)It was a Buffet lunch at a sports bar in the Historic. American Tobacco District, a converted former tobacco factory. You must admit that I have found some interesting places for parties. The hurricane was approaching and I had everyone’s game tickets, for a ticket block of about 65, so I had to get there or else. The hurricane was projected to be between Florida and North Carolina On Friday morning, and Glades and I were afraid we would not be able to get out of South Florida for our scheduled flight Friday morning, so almost at the last minute we flew in a day earlier, resulting in being dismantled by the TSA people, but that’s another story.
Now, the reason that people were missing in that photo -as we were leaving the restaurant, there was sort of an artificial stream in front of the restaurant with some very neat looking large rocks on it. I thought that would be a great place for a picture, a couple of people managed to have cameras, but about half of the people had already left. There were only about 20 of us left and pretty much everyone climbed on the rocks to take a picture. I forgot who actually photographed it. Again, I think I have the photo on photo bucket if I can still find it.Sound at all familiar?

PS you might not realize what it is like trying to plan events when you cannot actually see the venue for yourself and you have actually never even visited the city, but that has been a little bit of the fun and challenge of it all. This is one occasion when I had really no idea what the place looked like, and I was very pleasantly surprised

OK, let’s see if I can jog your memory a little. The first Purple Party at Duke was in 2008.(We have been there two other times since then)It was a Buffet lunch at a sports bar in the Historic. American Tobacco District, a converted former tobacco factory. You must admit that I have found some interesting places for parties. The hurricane was approaching and I had everyone’s game tickets, for a ticket block of about 65, so I had to get there or else. The hurricane was projected to be between Florida and North Carolina On Friday morning, and Glades and I were afraid we would not be able to get out of South Florida for our scheduled flight Friday morning, so almost at the last minute we flew in a day earlier, resulting in being dismantled by the TSA people, but that’s another story.
Now, the reason that people were missing in that photo -as we were leaving the restaurant, there was sort of an artificial stream in front of the restaurant with some very neat looking large rocks on it. I thought that would be a great place for a picture, a couple of people managed to have cameras, but about half of the people had already left. There were only about 20 of us left and pretty much everyone climbed on the rocks to take a picture. I forgot who actually photographed it. Again, I think I have the photo on photo bucket if I can still find it.Sound at all familiar?

PS you might not realize what it is like trying to plan events when you cannot actually see the venue for yourself and you have actually never even visited the city, but that has been a little bit of the fun and challenge of it all. This is one occasion when I had really no idea what the place looked like, and I was very pleasantly surprised
very familiar and yes it turned out to be a great place. After the game some of us and some of the players parents stumbled upon a pretty neat bar right on campus.

Yep, that was it, so my memory was pretty good! My wife and I drove from Erie Pa. and made about a 5 day trip out of it. We drove into Durham on the fringes of the hurricane directly to the Purple Party, worried that the game would be postponed. The photo or photos which you describe were taken on the rock pile. Great time was had by all!

Just went to my grandsons first game in Jacksonville. He is a 9th grader and is determined to play football. They are playing down here in Florida . I will get a chance top see one more game before heading to Maine.

Just went to my grandsons first game in Jacksonville. He is a 9th grader and is determined to play football. They are playing down here in Florida . I will get a chance top see one more game before heading to Maine.
Hey Ko, are you coming through Erie on your way to Maine? If so, please stop and we'll have a couple of Straubs.

The only negative I can remember for some was that they needed to walk a couple of blocks to have a smoke. Really and in the tobacco district.

The only negative I can remember for some was that they needed to walk a couple of blocks to have a smoke. Really and in the tobacco district.

But you are correct. The entire property was non-smoking. I would describe it as walking one long block, and it was enforced. There was a security guard near the restaurant who made sure a couple of us walked to the end of the property.Also, I would not describe it as very negative, but I was forced to have a buffet in order to get that private room. I was OK with that because I had a lot of choice as to what to have on the buffet, and I thought the food was pretty good.

Hey Ko, are you coming through Erie on your way to Maine? If so, please stop and we'll have a couple of Straubs.
Not this time but we will back up that way in late spring or early summer. We just bought a vaction home and we will be visiting it for the first time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT