ADVERTISEMENT

Logging in again, just to say...

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
I will not watch another Northwestern football game this season in which Hunter Johnson is not the starting QB when listed as healthy on the injury report.

Aidan Smith is obviously not the answer. 6 of 20 for 42 yards. I mean, come on. He could not make any contested throws and certainly couldn't get close to connecting on deep passes. He's a nice Big Ten backup who can step in and extend drives with his general reckless disregard for his body when running. But that's about it.

I don't know what the thought process is behind the QB situation. I can only hope that Hunter was 60-70% healthy against Nebraska and they opted not to risk it heading into the bye week, figuring Aidan could get the win (oops). And they'll never admit it, but I want to think that playing Aidan against OSU was effectively conceding the game before it began, under the guise of just going with the previous starter. I can't square putting in Aidan for the 4th quarter of MSU but not Hunter for the 4th quarter of OSU otherwise ("Marty is from Ohio" is laughable).

Does Fitz have something against Hunter? Only time will tell. But I can't remember another player Fitz has subtly (and not-so-subtly) questioned publicly before. He NEVER talked about Clayton Thorson or any other player the way he quips about Hunter (from the Daily Northwestern: Fitzgerald said sometimes it looks like NU’s quarterback is taking his time in the pocket and “whistling the national anthem.”) Wtf?

Simply put: Bowser is back. The offensive line is gelling at run blocking. Put your real QB back under center and let's start a win streak in the back half of the season. I'll be off this board again until Iowa, when #15 had better be back in his starting role.

Trubisky is under contract for 1.5 more seasons, but it's time to move on. His inaccuracy on deep routes is fatal. It certainly kills me to watch it.

Look, Trubisky is showing he's not a good QB. I'm with you there. But can someone point me to any proof that Matt Nagy is actually good as an Offensive Coordinator? He seems to be getting a free pass, which he has not earned.

In KC, he handled play calling duties for a little over a month (the last five weeks of the regular season and one game in the playoffs- which by the way was not called well) at the end of 2017. Besides that, it was Andy Reid calling plays while he was OC. People seem to think he's a good OC just based on the fact that he has a huge playbook with a lot of different formations. Sorry, but that doesn't mean you are a good Offensive Coordinator. It just means you have a huge playbook with a lot of different formations.

Look, Trubisky is showing he's not a good QB. I'm with you there. But can someone point me to any proof that Matt Nagy is actually good as an Offensive Coordinator? He seems to be getting a free pass, which he has not earned.

In KC, he handled play calling duties for a little over a month (the last five weeks of the regular season and one game in the playoffs- which by the way was not called well) at the end of 2017. Besides that, it was Andy Reid calling plays while he was OC. People seem to think he's a good OC just based on the fact that he has a huge playbook with a lot of different formations. Sorry, but that doesn't mean you are a good Offensive Coordinator. It just means you have a huge playbook with a lot of different formations.
I thought the Saints put on a clinic for play calling, especially when they worked Taysum Hill into the package. It also made me wonder if Chuck Pagano had watched any tape on the Saints. Of course, when your QB has all day to throw, any offense tends to look good.

I thought the Saints put on a clinic for play calling, especially when they worked Taysum Hill into the package. It also made me wonder if Chuck Pagano had watched any tape on the Saints. Of course, when your QB has all day to throw, any offense tends to look good.

Sean Payton and the Saints staff coached circles around Nagy and his staff today. The Saints were better on the field too, but to see the Saints do what they did on both sides of the ball with how many guys they are missing...very impressive.

I will not watch another Northwestern football game this season in which Hunter Johnson is not the starting QB when listed as healthy on the injury report.

Aidan Smith is obviously not the answer. 6 of 20 for 42 yards. I mean, come on. He could not make any contested throws and certainly couldn't get close to connecting on deep passes. He's a nice Big Ten backup who can step in and extend drives with his general reckless disregard for his body when running. But that's about it.

I don't know what the thought process is behind the QB situation. I can only hope that Hunter was 60-70% healthy against Nebraska and they opted not to risk it heading into the bye week, figuring Aidan could get the win (oops). And they'll never admit it, but I want to think that playing Aidan against OSU was effectively conceding the game before it began, under the guise of just going with the previous starter. I can't square putting in Aidan for the 4th quarter of MSU but not Hunter for the 4th quarter of OSU otherwise ("Marty is from Ohio" is laughable).

Does Fitz have something against Hunter? Only time will tell. But I can't remember another player Fitz has subtly (and not-so-subtly) questioned publicly before. He NEVER talked about Clayton Thorson or any other player the way he quips about Hunter (from the Daily Northwestern: Fitzgerald said sometimes it looks like NU’s quarterback is taking his time in the pocket and “whistling the national anthem.”) Wtf?

Simply put: Bowser is back. The offensive line is gelling at run blocking. Put your real QB back under center and let's start a win streak in the back half of the season. I'll be off this board again until Iowa, when #15 had better be back in his starting role.
Agreed! Hunter and Bowser time!

That double pitch to Hill was beautiful.

Your point about Fitz calling out Johnson by name is a good point , and basically unprecedented. Perhaps he resents hat dance kids, even if they didn’t hat dance.

I expect HJ to be the QB on Saturday. I think (hope) the decision to start Smith was a concession, and I think (hope) that Johnson will take every snap in which NU does not have a 20-point lead the rest of the season.

Trubisky is under contract for 1.5 more seasons, but it's time to move on. His inaccuracy on deep routes is fatal. It certainly kills me to watch it.
A wasted draft pick and also lost a future pick. Pace should pay for that with his job.

#freehunter is an OR designation this week.

Time to set the DVR for the game and watch if we win afterwards.

Reactions: NJCat and NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT