ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward to next year

I thought that they were allowed to play in a certain number of games before they lost the opportunity to RS. Did Nicholson exceed that?
That only applies to season-ending injuries. For example, Gaines and Crawford both got an injury redshirt year because they played in less than 30% of NU's games the year they were injured.

Gee, I wonder if that's why Nicholson wasn't playing in the Big Ten season. Duh

I think that initially it made no sense to use him. CC wanted the 5 out offense and we won 3 games. But after losing 10 in a row I don’t know how it was justified to not give him minutes. We even changed to a starting lineup including Young. Lasted 2 games. We were playing terribly for a stretch there. I know I did not call much for Nicholson minutes. I surely called for Berry at the point.

But ultimately the Nicholson minutes only made more sense with Young starting. And that didn’t happen. And I don’t know about PurpleWB, but I’m talking about 5 minutes. Up to 10 if the kid produced. Not exactly overwhelming minutes.

As it stands I’m with you. We don’t even know what the kid can do. And I could be way off. I don’t know, you don’t know, he didn’t play

They have these things called “practice”. They occur pretty much every day. The coaches watch “practice” and get an understanding of what, you know, the kids can do. Kids that perform well in “practice” earn minutes in the actual games.

Reactions: willycat
They have these things called “practice”. They occur pretty much every day. The coaches watch “practice” and get an understanding of what, you know, the kids can do. Kids that perform well in “practice” earn minutes in the actual games.
Thanks for the condescending tone CSC! Always makes ones point so much more poignant.

While what you said is, in general, true, you can’t assume yourself that Nicholson sucked in practice. You were not there.

Applying that logic to every situation means Beran must have been Tim Duncan in practice.

See where I’m going with this? Not a huge stretch to question the decisions of our coach.

Thanks for the condescending tone CSC! Always makes ones point so much more poignant.

While what you said is, in general, true, you can’t assume yourself that Nicholson sucked in practice. You were not there.

Applying that logic to every situation means Beran must have been Tim Duncan in practice.

See where I’m going with this? Not a huge stretch to question the decisions of our coach.

I have 100% confidence in the guy coaching our bigs. 100%.

I hate to break this to you Collins loyalists, but it is a fact that NU outscored its opponents when Young and Nance were on the court together, based on the last 13 games of the season.

There are too many of you who just assume Collins knows what he is doing. The statistical evidence says he does not.

I hate to break this to you Collins loyalists, but it is a fact that NU outscored its opponents when Young and Nance were on the court together, based on the last 13 games of the season.

There are too many of you who just assume Collins knows what he is doing. The statistical evidence says he does not.
Oh yes he does! What college, H.S. or Biddy ball team are you coaching? Oh, thought so!

Oh yes he does! What college, H.S. or Biddy ball team are you coaching? Oh, thought so!

Chris Collins has never been successful as a head basketball coach anywhere. Same is true of me. Of course, I've never tried. Thats why I rely on things like observations and statistics to formulate my opinions. Which of the three 10 game losing streaks do you think are an indication that he is a competent coach? 2021? 2019? 2020?

The stats on his misuse of his roster are undeniable.

Chris Collins has never been successful as a head basketball coach anywhere. Same is true of me. Of course, I've never tried. Thats why I rely on things like observations and statistics to formulate my opinions. Which of the three 10 game losing streaks do you think are an indication that he is a competent coach? 2021? 2019? 2020?

The stats on his misuse of his roster are undeniable.
How about the year he led the Wildcats to their only NCAA Tournament appearance?

How about the year he led the Wildcats to their only NCAA Tournament appearance?

How do you know Collins actually helped that team?
He recruited Law, Lindsey, McIntosh and Skelly in his first true class.
Thats great. The optimism was palpable.

2013-14, the top 6 players are Olah, Crawford, Lumpkin, Cobb, Demps and Sobolewski, all Carmody guys. Not a bad group. We go 14-19, 6-12. Drew Crawford never smiled the entire season.
2014-15 Demps, Olah, Cobb and Lumpkin are joined by McIntosh, Lindsey and Law. Pretty good group of players. We go 15-17, 6-12.
2015-16 Demps, Olah, Lumpkin, McIntosh, Lindsey and frosh Pardon and Falzon. Law out. Good group of players. 20-12, 8-10. oddly, no NIT.
2016-17 Lumpkin, McIntosh, Lindsey, Law, Skelly and Pardon. frosh Brown and Benson. Falzon injured. An experienced, talented team built on Collins first recruiting class. 24-12, 10-8 NCAA.
2017-18 Everybody is back except Taphorn and Lumpkin. Frosh Gaines plays 18 mpg. 15-17, 6-12.
(Collins lost me during this season as the team was worse than anyone imagined possible)
2018-19 Pardon, Gaines and Law, two transfers and frosh Kopp and Nance. 13-19, 4-16.
2019-20 Kopp, Nance and Gaines, two transfers joined by Buie, Young, Beran. 8-23, 3-17.
2020-21 Kopp, Nance, Young, Gaines, Buie, Beran all back. Audige transfer in. Berry. 9-15, 6-13.
A team of talented players that never got it together.

Meanwhile, Isiah Brown saw his minutes chopped during that horrible 2017-18 season and left NU for the Grand Canyon Antelopes (the school, not the animal).
Rapolas Ivanauskas also got frustrated and left in 2018, becoming Patriot League MVP during NU's disastrous 2018-19 season.
Barret Benson got frustrated and left for SIU in 2019 where he played 27 minutes per game. To his credit he earned his degree from NU in 3 seasons, then left.
Following his 3 years of agony, Miller Kopp bailed out after the 2020-21 season.

If this is what success looks like, you can have it. One winning record in his 8 Big Ten seasons.
Yay Coach Collins!

1 winning B1G season in 50 years, you must have loved his predecessors.
Well, like many others, I suffered thru some difficult Carmody seasons where he just didn't have the players. Because our facilities were at the bottom of the Big Ten and our academics were at the top, recruiting was quite difficult. His personal style and approach to the game were also negatives for the vast majority of 18 year old prospects, I'd assume. The transfer portal didn't exist. Its an advantage now.

But Carmody was rarely outcoached.

Collins doesn't have most of these excuses.

Before Carmody, the results were worse overall, sometimes a lot worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT