ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward to next year

You guys are really over rating the minutes he even could have gotten. If his growth spurts happened as quickly as they did then that might also be reason to redshirt. We have pretty good history under Collins of bigs who at least attempted a redshirt. It seems to be he and James philosophy to redshirt their freshman big men. Especially when you have two guys slotted ahead of them. Van Zegeren and Olah for Pardon. Pardon and Benson for Young. Nance (idc if you don't think he's a 5 that's not the argument I'm making) and Young last year. Do you really want to take away Young's or Nance's min for Nicholson? If he lights it up next year that still doesn't prove that he shouldn't have redshirted. A year of just focusing on getting your body ready to bang in B1G is massive. He didn't have to worry about being game fresh just working out and getting stronger.

Reactions: julescat
I think the main point he made, which I totally agree with, is there is no evidence that anyone has that Nicholson could have contributed meaningful minutes.
That is true. We don’t know. It wasn’t like there was even 1 attempt. A single one.

But also consider there is more than “meaningful minutes”. There are “developmental minutes”. There are “I believe in you minutes”. And there were several games we were out of the game half way into the 2nd half. And not a single experiment with Nicholson. Or Berry.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I keep thinking the problem wasnt coaching this year or effort but the make up of the team....when they played that 5 out early on I think they took some people by surprise but then they realized they did not need to play NU so tight because other than Buie there was not anyone who could beat their man off the ball....Gaines occasionally but he is not that skilled at fininshing, Berry as he puts on weight might develop....Greer is a little too slow....even Buie gets knocked off his line a lot... Knopp, Nance and Berran , to some extent are the same guy... Nance is developing some....but overall this team is a 1/2 step slower and that kills you offensively and defensively...I guess what I am saying is that the overall guard room needs to be developed.....watching the NCAA this is now a guard game.....as for Nicholson who looks like he will develop into a good player...just guessing he was not yet ready in terms of knowing the defense and offense.... last point this is a non-senior team, young, and an incomplete roster right? 10 guys with 3 walk ons? which also effects practices.......I think they will be better next year, due to experience, Buie and Berry in the weight room....and maybe ROper is ready to contribute...

other than Buie there was not anyone who could beat their man off the ball....Gaines occasionally but he is not that skilled at fininshing, Berry as he puts on weight might develop....Greer is a little too slow....even Buie gets knocked off his line a lot... Knopp, Nance and Berran , to some extent are the same guy... Nance is developing some....but overall this team is a 1/2 step slower and that kills you offensively and defensively...I guess what I am saying is that the overall guard room needs to be developed....
Uh, I think you forgot Chase Audige. But your point is valid, NU doesn't drive to the bucket so their spot-up shooters are easier to guard.....

Uh, I think you forgot Chase Audige. But your point is valid, NU doesn't drive to the bucket so their spot-up shooters are easier to guard.....
The point is very valid. And, yet we try to create motion to penetrate 90% of the time. We should be getting the ball down low so much more. And this is not saying we should get the ball to Young. Seen several instances of teams in this tournament getting the ball inside to guards.

I was out of town with my family, so I wasn't checking the board. I am closely aligned with Gato on the Nicholson issue. He should have been playing 5-10 minutes a game, with Nance and Young playing together at least half of the game. We lost 13 games in a row. There was nothing to do except try to improve players. Somehow, astonishingly, in my opinion, Collins refused to give real playing time to a freshman who has the physical size to be a force in the post. Remember, Collins signed the kid when he was 6'8", 215. Now he is 7'+, 250.

Collins preferred to play the "one big guy and hope somebody makes a 3 pointer" offense.
It failed miserably, because nobody made their shots and we struggled to get open looks.

On the other hand, the Nance/Young combination was much more effective The box scores show this clearly. Collins was unable to adjust, perhaps unable to realize what was working and what wasn't. He just kept doing the same things over and over, hoping for better results.

Reactions: IGNORE2
That is true. We don’t know. It wasn’t like there was even 1 attempt. A single one.
There was an attempt at Purdue and it didn't go well. This was a redshirt year for him, using covid rules, and I expect we will see more of him next season.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I was out of town with my family, so I wasn't checking the board. I am closely aligned with Gato on the Nicholson issue. He should have been playing 5-10 minutes a game, with Nance and Young playing together at least half of the game. We lost 13 games in a row. There was nothing to do except try to improve players. Somehow, astonishingly, in my opinion, Collins refused to give real playing time to a freshman who has the physical size to be a force in the post. Remember, Collins signed the kid when he was 6'8", 215. Now he is 7'+, 250.

Collins preferred to play the "one big guy and hope somebody makes a 3 pointer" offense.
It failed miserably, because nobody made their shots and we struggled to get open looks.

On the other hand, the Nance/Young combination was much more effective The box scores show this clearly. Collins was unable to adjust, perhaps unable to realize what was working and what wasn't. He just kept doing the same things over and over, hoping for better results.
Well I would think that the coaches saw what he was capable of everyday in practice. Thus he was used very little. Maybe he will improve next season or maybe not.

Well I would think that the coaches saw what he was capable of everyday in practice. Thus he was used very little. Maybe he will improve next season or maybe not.

I think that is a badly flawed assumption.
At what level has Chris Collins had consistent success as a head coach?

I think it is more likely than not that Nicholson held back somewhat in practice, not wanting to injure Nance or Young. You have to evaluate a guy like that against a real opponent.

Seriously, for all we know, Nicholson and Young played to a draw and Collins drew the erroneous conclusion that Young wasn't any good. SOMETHING told Collins that Young didn't deserve to be starting. It sure wasn't the results against actual opposition.

I think it is more likely than not that Nicholson held back somewhat in practice, not wanting to injure Nance or Young. You have to evaluate a guy like that against a real opponent.

Seriously, for all we know, Nicholson and Young played to a draw and Collins drew the erroneous conclusion that Young wasn't any good. SOMETHING told Collins that Young didn't deserve to be starting. It sure wasn't the results against actual opposition.
Look, we get it. You like Young a lot and you think Nicholson should have gotten playing time. Really, we do. The SOMETHING that told Collins that Young didn't deserve to start was a hope that Northwestern's offense would be more productive than last year when Young did start and the fact that we started the conference season strong. In a 4 game stretch in the middle of the season against Rutgers, IU, Purdue and Rutgers again Young played 29, 28, 40 and 30 minutes. Those are starter's minutes. We still lost all 4 games. If Nicholson is a good player next year, track me down and I will acknowledge you were right

Your Nicholson love is only rivaled by Wrassler’s Jordan Ash love.

Don't think you could be more wrong, even if you tried.

Look, we get it. You like Young a lot and you think Nicholson should have gotten playing time. Really, we do. The SOMETHING that told Collins that Young didn't deserve to start was a hope that Northwestern's offense would be more productive than last year when Young did start and the fact that we started the conference season strong. In a 4 game stretch in the middle of the season against Rutgers, IU, Purdue and Rutgers again Young played 29, 28, 40 and 30 minutes. Those are starter's minutes. We still lost all 4 games. If Nicholson is a good player next year, track me down and I will acknowledge you were right
Don't feed the troll, guys. Please.

This?

I think it is more likely than not that Nicholson held back somewhat in practice, not wanting to injure Nance or Young. You have to evaluate a guy like that against a real opponent.​

This is trolling, he is a troll. Just ignore.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Don't feed the troll, guys. Please.

This?

I think it is more likely than not that Nicholson held back somewhat in practice, not wanting to injure Nance or Young. You have to evaluate a guy like that against a real opponent.​

This is trolling, he is a troll. Just ignore.

You need to look up the definition of "trolling."
You have mis-used it twice in regard to me.

I think next year will be a bit schedule dependent

We return everybody

We played NE, MN, IND and PSU 5 times. Would love to see us play 8 games against them next year.

Also Iowa loses Garza and Bohannon next year. Would love to play them twice.

Illinois probably loses Ayo and Kofi. Still have talent but it will be much closer.

That would be 12 games that we would be competitive against.

We should be competitive against Maryland as well.

Wisconsin may lose Reuvers, Ford, Potter and Trice. Uncertain if they return due to covid. If they leave those games are competitive.

We were competitive against MSU this year as well

2021 could look very interesting
Everybody? What about Miller Kopp?

Remains to be seen. Maybe he leaves, maybe he comes back similar to what Malik Washington chose.
I'd be shocked if he came back. One assumes this is not a decision made without careful consideration. To come back it seems that would be driven by something changing
-Coaching staff is definitely going to stay in place
-There are no other players who went into portal and came back, making it more attractive for Kopp to be the same
-He will definitely have plenty of interest from interesting schools out there

I'd be shocked if he came back. One assumes this is not a decision made without careful consideration. To come back it seems that would be driven by something changing
-Coaching staff is definitely going to stay in place
-There are no other players who went into portal and came back, making it more attractive for Kopp to be the same
-He will definitely have plenty of interest from interesting schools out there

I think he's gone. He's a Texas kid and he can't help but notice what Baylor and Houston are doing this year. Kopp got an offer from Houston coming out of HS! I wonder if there is a twinge of regret watching them in the Final Four and while NU struggled to stay out of last place.

I think he is gone as well, but I thought the same with Washington.

Is there any way to spin Kopp's departure in a positive light for the NU basketball program? He was supposed to be the cornerstone of our re-build.

Has Collins commented yet or is he going to pretend nothing happened?

Based on what I was watching, Kopp really lost interest when the season began to unravel and his performance declined sharply thereafter. Yet Collins continued to play him heavy minutes, as if he didn't notice and hadn't talked to the guy. In other words, Kopp gave up and decided he wanted out midway thru the season. Collins had no idea and continued to play a guy who was leaving the program?

Is there any way to spin Kopp's departure in a positive light for the NU basketball program? He was supposed to be the cornerstone of our re-build.

Has Collins commented yet or is he going to pretend nothing happened?

Based on what I was watching, Kopp really lost interest when the season began to unravel and his performance declined sharply thereafter. Yet Collins continued to play him heavy minutes, as if he didn't notice and hadn't talked to the guy. In other words, Kopp gave up and decided he wanted out midway thru the season. Collins had no idea and continued to play a guy who was leaving the program?
Dude, give the speculation a rest. Unless you have connections in the program, and I am pretty sure you don't, you have no idea what Kopp was thinking or that he "gave up". He missed a bunch of shots. Players go through slumps. It doesn't mean he gave up. That's a shitty thing to say when you have no idea what you are talking about. And Fitzgerald didn't comment on the players that went into the portal either. If Collins is interviewed and asked the question, I assume he will answer it. I don't think that means he's is pretending it didn't happen. You are now on Ignore (only the 2nd person for me).

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Dude, give the speculation a rest. Unless you have connections in the program, and I am pretty sure you don't, you have no idea what Kopp was thinking or that he "gave up". He missed a bunch of shots. Players go through slumps. It doesn't mean he gave up. That's a shitty thing to say when you have no idea what you are talking about. And Fitzgerald didn't comment on the players that went into the portal either. If Collins is interviewed and asked the question, I assume he will answer it. I don't think that means he's is pretending it didn't happen. You are now on Ignore (only the 2nd person for me).

Wonder who is the other - so many good option, yours truly included...

What is "ignore?" Seems like a silly way to avoid opinions you don't like.
I find it hard to believe somebody is so sensitive that they object to speculation.
In the world I know, there are things that have happened (facts), things that may have happened (speculation) and things that may happen in the future (mostly speculation).

In my opinion, Kopp appeared to be going thru the motions (for the most part) in the second half of the season, having decided to leave the team, but not wanting to quit.

What is "ignore?" Seems like a silly way to avoid opinions you don't like.

I am Ignore and I am often your friend. When your posting becomes ridiculous, I appear and cause your brain to ache. When folks pick on you needlessly or too personally or too much, I arrive to harass the heck out them.

But sometimes I simply share my thoughts and opinions (often unpopular or annoying), little stories about my past or my experiences - either as an NU athlete or just another Joe in the world.

But overall - I am a fun guy to get to know and read. If you start to think you need more Ignore, there is usually plenty to go around on the Rant board. Just don't threaten to physically attack me or I will let loose my killer chickens upon you!

I am Ignore and I am often your friend. When your posting becomes ridiculous, I appear and cause your brain to ache. When folks pick on you needlessly or too personally or too much, I arrive to harass the heck out them.

But sometimes I simply share my thoughts and opinions (often unpopular or annoying), little stories about my past or my experiences - either as an NU athlete or just another Joe in the world.

But overall - I am a fun guy to get to know and read. If you start to think you need more Ignore, there is usually plenty to go around on the Rant board. Just don't threaten to physically attack me or I will let loose my killer chickens upon you!

Excellent. I value any opinion that has something behind it other than "I get mad when you critique Chris Collins."

Reactions: No Chores
Excellent. I value any opinion that has something behind it other than "I get mad when you critique Chris Collins."
Critique? I haven’t seen many if any “mad” or minding critique. What I see is a guy who jumped on the board while the team was in a painful tailspin and gets on the same Nicholson kick over and over and over. People challenge that because we have no evidence of Nicholson being ready. You speculate he was, but you have no real information or insight to support that other than he is big. You want stats to support a view and you provide Hunter Dickinson as a comp. That’s absurd. Then you say Kopp was not interested and your “something behind it” is how he looks to you on the court? You basically, called him a quitter. Is there anything more insulting than that to a player?

We know exactly how you feel about CCC. I don’t see people flocking to the board to claim he did a good job, yet you find a way to blame him for everything except COVID.

I thought it was your attorneys when people threaten you? You have gotten soft if it’s only killer chickens.

Did somebody say something?

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Critique? I haven’t seen many if any “mad” or minding critique. What I see is a guy who jumped on the board while the team was in a painful tailspin and gets on the same Nicholson kick over and over and over. People challenge that because we have no evidence of Nicholson being ready. You speculate he was, but you have no real information or insight to support that other than he is big. You want stats to support a view and you provide Hunter Dickinson as a comp. That’s absurd. Then you say Kopp was not interested and your “something behind it” is how he looks to you on the court? You basically, called him a quitter. Is there anything more insulting than that to a player?

We know exactly how you feel about CCC. I don’t see people flocking to the board to claim he did a good job, yet you find a way to blame him for everything except COVID.

Well they say covid is like Nile flu...so...

I thought it was your attorneys when people threaten you? You have gotten soft if it’s only killer chickens.

Never had attorneys - just killer chickens... bunnies... underwater critters...a pacifistic dog...and now a psychotic gf that I wouldn’t mess with. Screw the lawyers, fear her!

Young red shirted. Because there was Pardon and Benson ahead of him. And there was no indication Nance would be a victim of an attempt of being unicornized into a 5.

Nicholson did not red shirt. And saw Young being relegated to the bench alongside the above mention of unicorns.

But I hope you are right and that he turns into 1/2 the player Young is.
I thought that they were allowed to play in a certain number of games before they lost the opportunity to RS. Did Nicholson exceed that?

I think the main point he made, which I totally agree with, is there is no evidence that anyone has that Nicholson could have contributed meaningful minutes. His limited in-game action didn't really show even a glimmer to my recollection. It's backup quarterback syndrome. We don't know anything about how he can play, so we'll just assume that he must be good because we want to believe that. Collins has shown he will play freshmen if they can offer a spark. Do we really think Nicholson is lighting it up in practice, but Collins is holding him down?
A lot hast to do with who is ahead of him. Do you take minutes from Young or Nance to give them to him?

ADVERTISEMENT