ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Big Ten season may be on, but...

It actually doesn’t matter what either of you or people all over the country believe because neither of you are medical experts and neither are they. But villox sides with the experts. By all means, though, let these young men play. They probably won’t die!
No. There are experts on both sides of this issue., but this is the sort of nonsense that I've come to expect from you. Cheer up, wear your mask, socially distance and stay safe.

No. There are experts on both sides of this issue., but this is the sort of nonsense that I've come to expect from you. Cheer up, wear your mask, socially distance and stay safe.

Please do share an example of a public health expert or epidemiologist saying it’s safe to have football. I have an open mind.

Com
It actually doesn’t matter what either of you or people all over the country believe because neither of you are medical experts and neither are they. But villox sides with the experts. By all means, though, let these young men play. They probably won’t die!
So the B1G and Pac12 are smarter than EVERYONE else in the country?!? College and Pro? Ok, Got it! No wonder people across the country think so highly of NU people! Lol. The arrogance on these forums is getting unbearable. “I’m right and you’re wrong....and if you disagree with me you’re an idiot!”

wait a minute...he was hospitalized in August? Why is the party line that no CFB players have been hospitalized then? Willful ignorance?

Brady Feeney contracted the virus at home in Missouri. He was hospitalized, recovered and is back with the team.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Brady Feeney contracted the virus at home in Missouri. He was hospitalized, recovered and is back with the team.

My son was negative when he got tested at the beginning of volunteer workouts. Within three weeks he and multiple others tested positive.”

Is this the part when I get to remind you that you constantly scold me for supposedly being unwilling to admit when I’m wrong?

Com
So the B1G and Pac12 are smarter than EVERYONE else in the country?!? College and Pro? Ok, Got it! No wonder people across the country think so highly of NU people! Lol. The arrogance on these forums is getting unbearable. “I’m right and you’re wrong....and if you disagree with me you’re an idiot!”

Well... yeah.

Is that not also exactly what you’re doing?

Then why did you say “No college football players have even been hospitalized.”
Because he was back with the team when I made the statement and he wasn't hospitalized. My mistake, which I admit, was saying no college players have even been hospitalized. Feeney is a freshman who got Covid at home, in St. Louis was hospitalized, recovered, and went back to the team. Please recall that the subject of this discussion is whether college kids should be playing football in the age of COVID. Feeney has never played college football and he got it at home. (Also, please see TejasCats post above about the 11,000 college kids who tested positive for COVID, none of whom were hospitalized.)

Reactions: nugnrfan82
Because he was back with the team when I made the statement and he wasn't hospitalized. My mistake, which I admit, was saying no college players have even been hospitalized. Feeney is a freshman who got Covid at home, in St. Louis was hospitalized, recovered, and went back to the team. Please recall that the subject of this discussion is whether college kids should be playing football in the age of COVID. Feeney has never played college football and he got it at home. (Also, please see TejasCats post above about the 11,000 college kids who tested positive for COVID, none of whom were hospitalized.)

Reading is fundamental.

My son was negative when he got tested at the beginning of volunteer workouts. Within three weeks he and multiple others tested positive.”

Reactions: NUCat320

Is this the part when I get to remind you that you constantly scold me for supposedly being unwilling to admit when I’m wrong?
See my post to villox above.

Reading is fundamental.
Couldn't agree more. Please read the whole article where Feeney's mother was very critical of the people in Missouri for not wearing masks and social distancing. A very informative article in this regard appeared in the St.Louis newspaper. In any event, I'm very glad that the young man has recovered and will continue his college football career.

• Love
I don’t call anyone out. I’ve said numerous times everyone can have their opinions. I state what I think. You’re allowed to disagree. Or should I just reply “No” ?

“So the B1G and Pac12 are smarter than EVERYONE else in the country?!? College and Pro? Ok, Got it!”

See my post to villox above.

Perfect.

“The freshman’s condition first came to light last week when his mother, Debbie Rucker, posted a Facebook message on a page devoted to parents of college athletes. Feeney tested negative for the coronavirus when he reported to Indiana for voluntary workouts in June, Rucker posted, but was among several players who tested positive within three weeks.”

Couldn't agree more. Please read the whole article where Feeney's mother was very critical of the people in Missouri for not wearing masks and social distancing. A very informative article in this regard appeared in the St.Louis newspaper. In any event, I'm very glad that the young man has recovered and will continue his college football career.

Keep on digging.

PS — I was under the impression that you thought “Feeney has never played college football.” How would he then “continue his college football career” if it never started?

Perfect.

“The freshman’s condition first came to light last week when his mother, Debbie Rucker, posted a Facebook message on a page devoted to parents of college athletes. Feeney tested negative for the coronavirus when he reported to Indiana for voluntary workouts in June, Rucker posted, but was among several players who tested positive within three weeks.”

I'm having trouble with the timing, but I might very well have been wrong. The question remaining in my mind is whether he got this when he returned to St. Louis or after he returned to IU. It sounds like it might have been when he returned to to IU, in which case I WAS WRONG. I wonder then why Mom was so critical of the folks in Missouri? I also wonder whether he has returned to practice? Fair?

Keep on digging.

PS — I was under the impression that you thought “Feeney has never played college football.” How would he then “continue his college football career” if it never started?
He's practiced apparently but never played in a game. Hopefully, though, he will eventually, unless he's sustained some significant damage.

I'm having trouble with the timing, but I might very well have been wrong. The question remaining in my mind is whether he got this when he returned to St. Louis or after he returned to IU. It sounds like it might have been when he returned to to IU, in which case I WAS WRONG. I wonder then why Mom was so critical of the folks in Missouri? I also wonder whether he has returned to practice? Fair?

Because she was using the real-life example of her son getting his ass kicked by COVID in Indiana as an example for the people who live near her in Missouri.

And yes, he has apparently returned to practice but still might have long-term lung and/or heart issues to deal with.

He's practiced apparently but never played in a game. Hopefully, though, he will eventually, unless he's sustained some significant damage.

So now we have reached the "it's perfectly fine that this otherwise healthy college football player had to be taken to the ER with difficulty breathing then suffered symptoms for 14 days and may yet still have long-term health complications as a result of his bout with COVID, but it's fine because he was never put on a ventilator" phase of this roundabout argument in which you continually move the goal posts?

Would hope that a former lawyer would choose his words a little more carefully and actually stick to a position.

Reactions: NUCat320
Com

“Nearly every major university that has resumed in-person learning in recent weeks has reported coronavirus clusters among students and staff members. Some large universities, including James Madison University and North Carolina State, have pivoted to online classes after outbreaks emerged.”

As soon as you show me a University with sustained safe in-person learning, I’ll believe it’s safe to play football.

Reactions: willycat
Hey, laugh at this, jerks:

Talk about overreaction. Let them play! These young men have worked their whole lives (well, less than half, and really only a handful of years) to be star athletes (or the third string offensive lineman). They know what they’re signing up for! Let them play!!!

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Talk about overreaction. Let them play! These young men have worked their whole lives (well, less than half, and really only a handful of years) to be star athletes (or the third string offensive lineman). They know what they’re signing up for! Let them play!!!
WHY???

How many football players tested positive?

As of a month ago they reported 21 athletes have tested positive. I haven't seen any reports since then. However, this is a serious outbreak, as evidenced by the actions they're taking:

"Starting 5 p.m. Monday through 5 p.m. Sept. 21, all in-person social events are canceled, student gyms and recreation facilities are closed, dining halls are carry-out only, visitors are not allowed in residence halls, events for student organizations are online only and all student meetings except for classes must also be held online instead of in person."

Reactions: hoosboot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT