ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Big Ten season may be on, but...

No. As of this morning 188,224 are dead. None are college football players and 80% are over 65. No college football players have even been hospitalized. Can't wait for kickoff and neither can the BIG parents and players
Me too,but I ain't no scientist and have no idea what is really going on! Just wondering how BYU and Navy can play and my beloved wildcats can't? Please answer that question!

You wished a deadly virus on him. Same difference.
Wtf are you talking about. Show me where I did that. I think you have me mixed up with someone else. Carry on, and continue calling people “jerks” while you insist on keeping the thread alive with your daily tweet showing how smart you are and how dumb everyone else is.

There’s a reason people don’t participate on the Rant Board. The A-hole gene comes out in full force. It’s a license to rip people and shout from the mountain tops how right you are and how stupid everyone is that has a differing opinion. You might want to stay over there, start a few more threads and battle the few people that troll your ilk.

Wtf are you talking about. Show me where I did that. I think you have me mixed up with someone else. Carry on, and continue calling people “jerks” while you insist on keeping the thread alive with your daily tweet showing how smart you are and how dumb everyone else is.

There’s a reason people don’t participate on the Rant Board. The A-hole gene comes out in full force. It’s a license to rip people and shout from the mountain tops how right you are and how stupid everyone is that has a differing opinion. You might want to stay over there, start a few more threads and battle the few people that troll your ilk.

You are correct, I misread your post. When you said “Bout time you got it.” I thought you were referring to the virus. My apologies.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but the a-hole gene has been alive and well on all sports boards since the beginning of time.

Reactions: Gladeskat
As of a month ago they reported 21 athletes have tested positive. I haven't seen any reports since then. However, this is a serious outbreak, as evidenced by the actions they're taking:

"Starting 5 p.m. Monday through 5 p.m. Sept. 21, all in-person social events are canceled, student gyms and recreation facilities are closed, dining halls are carry-out only, visitors are not allowed in residence halls, events for student organizations are online only and all student meetings except for classes must also be held online instead of in person."

Kudos to UW...sounds like they are taking the necessary precautions.

You are correct, I misread your post. When you said “Bout time you got it.” I thought you were referring to the virus. My apologies.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but the a-hole gene has been alive and well on all sports boards since the beginning of time.
Yes, I get excited when I get attributed to someone else’s post.

The A-hole Gene is alive and well and mine can also raise its ugly head. I stay off the Rant board because I find the discussion often less than civil and often downright nasty.

Yes, I get excited when I get attributed to someone else’s post.

The A-hole Gene is alive and well and mine can also raise its ugly head. I stay off the Rant board because I find the discussion often less than civil and often downright nasty.

Keep Gene’s name out your mouth, seems like a decent guy to me.

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
Reactions: NUCat320
Nah just two lifelong friends intelligent enough to realize we’re still in a freaking global pandemic killing 1,000 Americans a day. Time for sports!
This seems to be happening all over the conferences. Next up the SAC., ACC and the Big 12. Big Ten and a couple of others have made the correct decision.

20 year old Senior At Cal U dies of COVID:

Ok but, SHOW ME A FBS player, they will say, moving the goalposts yet again.
Look anyone that losses a life is awful, especially at such a young age. We have school teachers, policemen, butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers getting the virus. Not one group based on occupation, location, race, gender, religion, or anything else is immune. So, if your claim is anyone including football players at any level of participation can get the virus and can die from it, I would agree. No different that any other group. This has impacted young people that play football and one’s that play the Tuba.

Has it been established that this young man caught the virus or somehow had accelerated symptoms caused by football related activities? Please expand because I couldn’t tell.

so knock yourself out with your goal post moving claims, but I can’t recall many, if any posters claiming, there will be no cases or even deaths for young people. You can equate that to being a football player if you like.

Reactions: No Chores
Look anyone that losses a life is awful, especially at such a young age. We have school teachers, policemen, butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers getting the virus. Not one group based on occupation, location, race, gender, religion, or anything else is immune. So, if your claim is anyone including football players at any level of participation can get the virus and can die from it, I would agree. No different that any other group. This has impacted young people that play football and one’s that play the Tuba.

Has it been established that this young man caught the virus or somehow had accelerated symptoms caused by football related activities? Please expand because I couldn’t tell.

so knock yourself out with your goal post moving claims, but I can’t recall many, if any posters claiming, there will be no cases or even deaths for young people. You can equate that to being a football player if you like.

It's not about whether he is a football player or not. We haven't controlled the virus. Therefore, we should not be conducting activities that increase the risk of spread. It's impossible to socially distance while playing football. You can't stay at home and still go to practice. Students shouldn't even be on campus.

So far, Illinois with their rapid saliva-based testing is potentially finding a way out. But most aren't doing that.

Reactions: gocatsgo2003

There have been posts that pointed out, up till now, that no football players have died from COVID19. That is now no longer true. It doesn't matter how he caught it, he's a football player who died from it. We know other football players have caught COVID19 from football activities, now we have at least one who has died from it, which dispels the myth that young people cannot die from COVID19.

There have been posts that pointed out, up till now, that no football players have died from COVID19. That is now no longer true. It doesn't matter how he caught it, he's a football player who died from it. We know other football players have caught COVID19 from football activities, now we have at least one who has died from it, which dispels the myth that young people cannot die from COVID19.

He plays D-2 and their season was cancelled months ago. I don’t think his death has anything to do with football, except that he played football last year.

Louisiana Tech/Baylor postponed after 38(!!) players test positive.

Great news! This is a good sign that the plans and protocols are working correctly, and administrators / coaches are being careful. Won't be the last game postponed (others were too last weekend) - this was to be expected. Totally reasonable - try to play, but you pause when there are outbreaks / positive tests. We will see how it goes. Hopefully they take a week or two off to get everyone clean and then can resume the schedule (and possibly reschedule missed games later). If not, and too many games get postponed, that's fine, they tried but backed off when things repeatedly became unsafe / problematic.

In my view, that is how this is supposed to work. We were never going to have a perfect or normal CFB season. But the idea is to try to give the student-athletes some chance to play and compete in a modified season, but take a pause whenever (or if) the virus rears up its ugly head.

I think that might be the disconnect here - the "don't play CFB" folks seem to think that the "play CFB" crowd wants to blindly play on no matter what. That's certainly not what I am suggesting and I don't think that's what the Big 12, SEC etc are planning on doing. Everyone expects there to be hiccups and pauses along the way, and we will hopefully get used to managing our way through those pauses to play some football while trying to keep folks healthy where possible.

You can't stay at home and still go to practice. Students shouldn't even be on campus.

It's really this simple. I would be making the same arguments about kids being in class on campus generally, let alone just football.

There is no myth about young people can’t die from COVID. They have and it proven they can. That is a fact, what also is a fact is they are statistically far less likely to die than other compromised individuals. This two things are indisputable in my mind.

My beef has always been the most of these Universities talk through both sides of their mouth. We feel comfortable having students return, but no fall sports is contradictory. Kicking students with the virus out and putting them back in gen pop also grinds my gears!

so the decision to me was always to either shut it completely down or take the risk, This half ass approach these universities and our country has taken is providing the expected results. Wear masks, social distance, sure that will work with young people!

we have had this virus when there were no sports and we have it when there are sports. Some posters try to paint you as the Devil incarnate if you point out the Hypocrisy of this. Young people have and continue to catch this virus in many fashions and yet some people turn a blind eye to these realities and focus on sports while ignoring or being less critical of other aspects of the beloved schools we support.

shut everything down and put a full body condom on all young people or play on.

Great news! This is a good sign that the plans and protocols are working correctly, and administrators / coaches are being careful. Won't be the last game postponed (others were too last weekend) - this was to be expected. Totally reasonable - try to play, but you pause when there are outbreaks / positive tests. We will see how it goes. Hopefully they take a week or two off to get everyone clean and then can resume the schedule (and possibly reschedule missed games later). If not, and too many games get postponed, that's fine, they tried but backed off when things repeatedly became unsafe / problematic.

In my view, that is how this is supposed to work. We were never going to have a perfect or normal CFB season. But the idea is to try to give the student-athletes some chance to play and compete in a modified season, but take a pause whenever (or if) the virus rears up its ugly head.

I think that might be the disconnect here - the "don't play CFB" folks seem to think that the "play CFB" crowd wants to blindly play on no matter what. That's certainly not what I am suggesting and I don't think that's what the Big 12, SEC etc are planning on doing. Everyone expects there to be hiccups and pauses along the way, and we will hopefully get used to managing our way through those pauses to play some football while trying to keep folks healthy where possible.

I find your position at least somewhat reasonable, but I still do not think this is worth the risk as a society. We know it's a deadly disease, we know that having students back on campus increases the spread, nobody has really been successful at containing it, and if we could just take it seriously for like, a few weeks, and I mean REALLY seriously, with better lockdowns and rapid testing and contact tracing, this would have been over by now. By plodding along and just "trying to get it to work" we're stretching out the pain for everyone.

It's not about whether he is a football player or not. We haven't controlled the virus. Therefore, we should not be conducting activities that increase the risk of spread. It's impossible to socially distance while playing football. You can't stay at home and still go to practice. Students shouldn't even be on campus.

So far, Illinois with their rapid saliva-based testing is potentially finding a way out. But most aren't doing that.
See that we actually agree on something.

The "don't play CFB" folks think that playing right now poses a whole lot more risks than not playing, especially given how little we know about the long-term health impacts.

While it is undoubtedly the right move to cancel or reschedule games as outbreaks occur, there are still lots of young men put at risk along the way that could have been avoided.

Tired of this crapola, where schools gleefully welcome students back to campus ( wonder why), then come off as morally superior because “we decided to postpone sports”. Hypocrisy at its finest. The reality is players are way more likely to catch the virus from day to day interaction than playing sports where they are monitored better than any other students.

Then people paint the folks who bring up this hypocrisy as some type of meathead pining for “their” ****ing college football. Like they don’t care about people as anything other than football players. That’s what I can’t believe.
You’re right. Schools shouldn’t have welcomed back any students.

Reactions: willycat and Fitz51
My beef has always been the most of these Universities talk through both sides of their mouth. We feel comfortable having students return, but no fall sports is contradictory. Kicking students with the virus out and putting them back in gen pop also grinds my gears!
Can we just blame Betsy DeVos and call it a thread? (I just caught up. Wow!)

Take it to the rant board, @No Chores.

He plays D-2 and their season was cancelled months ago. I don’t think his death has anything to do with football, except that he played football last year.
Your line of reasoning is not relevant.

He played D2 football. He's still a football player.
Their season was cancelled. He's still a football player.
He died. He was a football player. RIP.

The point is, it is possible for a football player to die from COVID19. Did he catch it from playing football? Probably not, but not relevant.

After saying all that, I'm not saying that playing football means it's going to cause deaths. But football players are vulnerable, too, even though the odds are in their favor. There were some who were saying that there were no deaths to football players from COVID19, and that statement is no longer true. That's all.

What is this post doing here? It is much too reasoned to fit our ongoing narrative.

Well, human beings crave certainty in an unpredictable world. The need to find certainty in often random events can lead us to all sorts of cognitive bias and poor decisions. And the inability to accept some uncertainty can make some people rather obstreperous, to put it mildly.

I have always said we are going to have to live with COVID. Others seem to think that we MUST find a way to not die from COVID. Those are vastly different ideas.

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
I find your position at least somewhat reasonable, but I still do not think this is worth the risk as a society. We know it's a deadly disease, we know that having students back on campus increases the spread, nobody has really been successful at containing it, and if we could just take it seriously for like, a few weeks, and I mean REALLY seriously, with better lockdowns and rapid testing and contact tracing, this would have been over by now. By plodding along and just "trying to get it to work" we're stretching out the pain for everyone.
Nice, common ground is good. I think we are at a point where we can agree to disagree.

Btw if I believed that by "taking it really seriously" for a few weeks we would get rid of the virus then I would be on board. But I don't believe that will happen. Maybe in authoritarian states in Asia where you can fully lock people down for 2-3 full months, but I don't think that's going to happen in America. Too widespread, too disparate in terms of cities / rural / different types of people, etc. We already tried it for 5-6 weeks once, in March-April, and we stemmed the spread but then it came surging back. Partial herd immunity might be a little bit better now, but not enough to make a difference I don't think.

Nice, common ground is good. I think we are at a point where we can agree to disagree.

Btw if I believed that by "taking it really seriously" for a few weeks we would get rid of the virus then I would be on board. But I don't believe that will happen. Maybe in authoritarian states in Asia where you can fully lock people down for 2-3 full months, but I don't think that's going to happen in America. Too widespread, too disparate in terms of cities / rural / different types of people, etc. We already tried it for 5-6 weeks once, in March-April, and we stemmed the spread but then it came surging back. Partial herd immunity might be a little bit better now, but not enough to make a difference I don't think.

The one place we took it extremely seriously, and were even more cautious, I believe is the one where you live. And now it's pretty much under control in New York. Even gyms and restaurants are re-opening. Everywhere else was too quick and loose and the results are showing that.

It's never too late to try and get this under control.

ADVERTISEMENT