ADVERTISEMENT

Love NU, win or lose

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
I posted this note on the B-ball board a moment ago in response to a post bemoaning the cost of tickets to see losing teams. Perhaps the sentiments would be of interest here as well:
My wife and I do not see our purchase of football or basketball tickets as anything other than support for the school we love, which offers an additional benefit of seeing the school's team play in person. We also happily donate in addition to buying the tickets. Every one of our tailgate friends, the people who sit around us, and alums with whom we keep in touch feels the same way. We do not see NU as a department store, like Marshall Fields, at which we transact business and hope to receive value. It is more like a charity in which we fervently believe and want to do our part to support. Admittedly, $ is not now a concern for us in any context, especially this one. But, even when we were a young married couple struggling to make ends meet, we bought season tickets and donated. I guess, for us, it is like our church. Winning and losing really does not influence the amount of our generosity. Some people on this board and the football board just do not seem to "get" that.

I posted this note on the B-ball board a moment ago in response to a post bemoaning the cost of tickets to see losing teams. Perhaps the sentiments would be of interest here as well:
My wife and I do not see our purchase of football or basketball tickets as anything other than support for the school we love, which offers an additional benefit of seeing the school's team play in person. We also happily donate in addition to buying the tickets. Every one of our tailgate friends, the people who sit around us, and alums with whom we keep in touch feels the same way. We do not see NU as a department store, like Marshall Fields, at which we transact business and hope to receive value. It is more like a charity in which we fervently believe and want to do our part to support. Admittedly, $ is not now a concern for us in any context, especially this one. But, even when we were a young married couple struggling to make ends meet, we bought season tickets and donated. I guess, for us, it is like our church. Winning and losing really does not influence the amount of our generosity. Some people on this board and the football board just do not seem to "get" that.
Amen. Preach on.

I want to sit by you.

Right on! I wish that after growing up in Chicago, I would have gone to NU, but divine sovereignty played things differently. Living on a pastor's salary does not allow for one to contribute to the school where one has a degree of loyalty. I'm thankful for people like you who are loyal and who are giving back. This year's killing me, but I'll always believe that next year will be a LOT better. If I was Bill Gates wealthy my contribution would be to give big $ to start a D1 hockey program and renovate that glorified h.s. football field!

Reactions: drewjin
The reason why it's easy to be a NU fan, in spite of many frustrating things, is the quality of people who make up the program, starting with head ball coach Fitzgerald. Everyone has their faults, but I truly would not have anyone else run the football program than Fitz. And it's reflected in the players whom he recruits. They're high character, highly motivated student-athletes who are winners (except this year on the field). Watch Rashawn Slater's interview this week -- very impressive and makes you want to root for him and his teammates. Many Dimbulb fans just have no clue how hard these kids work and how badly they want to win. Same with Fitz.

Having said all that, Fitz needs to take a hard look at what he needs to do to improve the team and give his players the best chance to win.

A
Agreed! I love my beloved wildcats win or lose! Bot no way jose am I watching that fiasco called NU hoops or football. Just lame! No hunger out there

I will always love and support NU. I will only support NU MBB and FB when they deserve it. Just like I won’t support every other NU organization that seeks donations. I doubt you send money to each and every Greek organization on campus. You pick and choose who gets your financial support while the entirety will always get your love.

Best Post EVER....some seasons challenge us more than others to really be FANS of NU

Reactions: techtim72
I will always love NU and be proud to have gone to Grad School at the Great University of the Northwest Territories!! However, I hate this season with a passion!!

I generally agree with most of this. I am not a huge donor to NU but do it every year, without fail. Most of the time it is NOT athletics, because they have huge inflows of cash and the coach makes millions. Hardly a charity. It's a business

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT