ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland's SG Dion Wiley (4-star out of HS) STILL available as grad transfer

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
On PAPER Maryland's 6-4 210 SG Dion Wiley is (one of) the most intriguing of the STILL available grad transfers (to play in the upcoming 2018-19 season).
He was a consensus 4-star player, ranked about #50 nationally overall (about #10 at his position).
Obviously he is transferring because things didn't go as expected. Apparently injuries kept him from becoming the kind of player many expected him to become. Still, this past season he did OK, averaging almost 6pts ppg in 22 min, and shooting 42% (37% 3P)
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3131633/dion-wiley
Out of HS he may have been a decent student, since he got offers from decent-sounding academic school (Georgetown and UVa come to mind). Beyond that, I don't know more about his academic profile.
I don't believe he has been linked to NU in any way. Weeks ago several schools were mentioned, including Georgia, VA Tech and Miami (FL?). His position is not the one of greatest need at NU. Then again, who the heck knows who will be lost to injuries or whatever for much or all the season...a former top-50 player should definitely beat an empty roster spot, if it comes to that.

P.S. To transfer within the B1G he probably needs some kind of "complete release" from the school, which he probably would get.

Last edited:
On PAPER Maryland's 6-4 210 SG Dion Wiley is (one of) the most intriguing of the STILL available grad transfers (to play in the upcoming 2018-19 season).
He was a consensus 4-star player, ranked about #50 nationally overall (about #10 at his position).
Obviously he is transferring because things didn't go as expected. Apparently injuries kept him from becoming the kind of player many expected him to become. Still, this past season he did OK, averaging almost 6pts ppg in 22 min, and shooting 42% (37% 3P)
Out of HS he may have been a decent student, since he got offers from decent-sounding academic school (Georgetown and UVa come to mind). Beyond that, I don't know more about his academic profile.
I don't believe he has been linked to NU in any way. Weeks ago several schools were mentioned, including Georgia, VA Tech and Miami (FL?). His position is not the one of greatest need at NU. Then again, who the heck knows who will be lost to injuries or whatever for much or all the season...a former top-50 player should definitely beat an empty roster spot, if it comes to that.

P.S. To transfer within the B1G he probably needs some kind of "complete release" from the school, which he probably would get.
Is that still true?

If he is a grad transfer, I think his "release" is complete. I don't think MD can put any restrictions on him.

If he is a grad transfer, I think his "release" is complete. I don't think MD can put any restrictions on him.
To my knowledge, aside from their eligibility to play immediately, grad transfers are treated same as other transfers for eligibility purpose, including intra-conference transfer issues.

He has no restrictions as a grad transfer

What is your source?
Apparently Pitt was unaware of that this past season, when they forbid their grad transfers from picking ACC schools or ANY school on their schedule.
That said they eventually did relent and allowed Cam Johnson to grad transfer into UNC...but initially they did not approve, and he had to wait until eventually Pitt changed its mind.

DAXuPzcV0AAncTk.jpg

Last edited:
What is your source?
Apparently Pitt was unaware of that this past season, when they forbid their grad transfers from picking ACC schools or ANY school in their schedule.

More specific to the B1G, this text is about two recent grad transfers from UMich:
Albrecht [grad transferring from Micigan into Purdue] can play immediately next season if he receives a waiver of the Big Ten Conference's rule requiring intraconference transfers to sit out one year of competition. His former Michigan teammate, Max Biefeldt, went through the same process when transferring to Indiana last season. A committee of faculty and administrators from member schools ultimately rules on those appeals.

https://eu.jconline.com/story/sport...ad-transfer-albrecht-commits-purdue/83865482/

Clear, right?

i have not heard us in the mix for any other grad transfers at this point.
I haven't heard anything specific either...I do hope the staff keep trying to fill the remaining spot...they still have a few months to try and there are players (grad transfers) who seemingly could help the team...Even a player at a seemingly well-covered position (like SG) could become a major contributor if injuries hit hard that position... or he may be able to help sporadically at another position that he may be able to play OK...Even a 'practice player' can help the team better than a non-player (especially in case of major injuries)...and if he is a grad transfer, his scholarship would still be available for the 19-20 season (as it is now)...Of course even better to get someone who can compete for minutes at a position of need like some PG's mentioned (if they can qualify academically at NU).

I haven't heard anything specific either...I do hope the staff keep trying to fill the remaining spot...they still have a few months to try and there are players (grad transfers) who seemingly could help the team...Even a player at a seemingly well-covered position (like SG) could become a major contributor if injuries hit hard that position... or he may be able to help sporadically at another position that he may be able to play OK...Even a 'practice player' can help the team better than a non-player (especially in case of major injuries)...and if he is a grad transfer, his scholarship would still be available for the 19-20 season (as it is now)...Of course even better to get someone who can compete for minutes at a position of need like some PG's mentioned (if they can qualify academically at NU).

Meh, we are too good with 13 schollie players on the roster. CCC wants to level the playing field and probably feels playing a man down should even it out...

ADVERTISEMENT