ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Alviti appreciation thread

Sucks that Thorson was so badly injured, but given that it happened, a fine game for Matt and a nice reward for all his work over the years.

We still trailed when Matt took the field.

Reactions: rmndcat
I’m glad we had Matt for this unfortunate situation.

But...he was 4 for 11 for 50 yards. Hardly a threat in the passing game. Take away the 28-yard toss to Fessler, and that’s 3 for 10 for 22 yards. Made some plays with his feet, but it’s clear that Clayton gives the Cats a two-dimensional offense and Matt doesn’t.

Zero points from the offense in the second half says it all.

I've been rooting for him since the day he signed. It's clear that Thor is better, but he is truly a program player.

Oh he can kinda run the ball

Reactions: rmndcat

But...he was 4 for 11 for 50 yards. Hardly a threat in the passing game. Take away the 28-yard toss to Fessler, and that’s 3 for 10 for 22 yards. Made some plays with his feet, but it’s clear that Clayton gives the Cats a two-dimensional offense and Matt doesn’t.

Stupid post. Why take away his 28 yard toss to Fessler? Take away a few missed throws and he's 100%.

We won the game. And one can’t fairly take away any plays to make a point. Let’s give some appreciation to a guy who stuck with the program even though not playing as much as he wanted, including not getting many game reps this year. He played well enough given all these circumstances for us to win. Thank you Matt - congrats to you and the team!

We won the game. And one can’t fairly take away any plays to make a point. Let’s give some appreciation to a guy who stuck with the program even though not playing as much as he wanted, including not getting many game reps this year. He played well enough given all these circumstances for us to win. Thank you Matt - congrats to you and the team!

Agree, I’m very glad we had Matt to come in under tough circumstances, rather than an untested underclassman. NU was lucky to have such a capable backup.

Stupid post. Why take away his 28 yard toss to Fessler? Take away a few missed throws and he's 100%.

He was just making point we didn’t win because of Matt. We won despite Matt. Passing offense was nonexistent. Atleast he didn’t throw pick. Brought some emotion though.

He was just making point we didn’t win because of Matt. We won despite Matt. Passing offense was nonexistent. Atleast he didn’t throw pick. Brought some emotion though.
Not true. We moved the ball and that was the difference in winning the game. Penalties in the 2nd half cost us points.

He was NOT a liability. The Cats did NOT win despite him. He did what the coaches asked him to do.

He obviously did not excel in the passing game, but given his lack of playing time this season, including the amount of passes he's been allowed to throw, it's not hard to guess what the coaches wanted him to do: lean on the running game, lead the offense, throw enough to keep them a bit more honest, keep the team moving, and don't give the ball away.

Mission accomplished.

One of the quarterbacks on the field threw two picks tonight, one of them for a pick six. Guess which one it wasn't.

Very fitting last game for Matt Alvitiiiiiii!
I know right... I was like this is going to be a home run or a strike out... After the first couple of plays I felt like Matt was prepared and ready to play. I personally think that he should get all the credit he deserves for be ready to step in.
Nice Job Matt... Way To Step Up!!!

Let;s put it this way-- If KY;s QB did not return to the game after the Gaz hit, they lose by 20, since their backup was, well, not Alviti.

Just a phenomenal, phenomenal job of managing the game by Alviti. I absolutely thought we were toast when CT went down, glad Alviti proved me wrong in spades.

As an aside, I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that there are no Wrassler posts ITT.

We need a “dislike” option for posts like this. 90% of college level back-ups coming into a game suddenly having had no reps with the first team offense during practices would have made critical mistakes. We won BECAUSE we had Matt Alviti available as our back-up when CT went out.

Another stupid post. So let me get this straight - Matt stepped in when the starter went down, finished off the TD drive, did not turn the ball over, and was kneeling in the victory formation. It sure sounds like we won more because of him than despite of him.

Another stupid post. So let me get this straight - Matt stepped in when the starter went down, finished off the TD drive, did not turn the ball over, and was kneeling in the victory formation. It sure sounds like we won more because of him than despite of him.
Yea - No doubt... Matt was prepared well... stepped in and did the job... how do we know. CATS WON !!! End of story

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I've been rooting for him since the day he signed. It's clear that Thor is better, but he is truly a program player.

Oh he can kinda run the ball
Thor has a lot more game experience and play with first team.

Matt did not turn the ball over, and made some good plays with his feet. It could've been a disaster when Clayton went out but Matt played well and got the W for us.

Agreed.

The 3 times the 'Cats marched down the field and came up with ZERO points were hardly on Matt.

Alviti played w/ poise, made some big plays w/ his legs and most importantly, didn't turn the ball over.

Agreed.

The 3 times the 'Cats marched down the field and came up with ZERO points were hardly on Matt.

Alviti played w/ poise, made some big plays w/ his legs and most importantly, didn't turn the ball over.

And in addition those marches down the field gave our defense important rest that allowed them to play effectively.

We were absolutely fortunate to have Matt to step in and QB the team to a bowl win. Let’s get the points argument out of the way. Sure it would’ve been good to get more points but that’s not on Alviti - it’s on the coaches plus whoever had the holding call that negated JJTBC run down to the 6 yard line. Both drives ended up with no points. Also the missed FG drive.

As others pointed out he did not turn the ball over, which should not go under recognized as in fact it was the key to the game. We had zero turnovers from Alviti and their QB threw the pick six that basically won us the game. In addition Alviti got some key first downs with his running.

That is what we get when we have a 5th year former 4 star backup and not someone that is unready like we’ve had in the past.

We were absolutely fortunate to have Matt to step in and QB the team to a bowl win. Let’s get the points argument out of the way. Sure it would’ve been good to get more points but that’s not on Alviti - it’s on the coaches plus whoever had the holding call that negated JJTBC run down to the 6 yard line. Both drives ended up with no points. Also the missed FG drive.

As others pointed out he did not turn the ball over, which should not go under recognized as in fact it was the key to the game. We had zero turnovers from Alviti and their QB threw the pick six that basically won us the game. In addition Alviti got some key first downs with his running.

That is what we get when we have a 5th year former 4 star backup and not someone that is unready like we’ve had in the past.

Amen. Case closed!

If you're Matt Alviti, this is about the best way possible to cap off your NU college career. He was ready to take over the reins when Thorson went down, in front of a national audience in the last game of his college career and got the W.
I wonder what the results of the game would have been if Snell and Fisher hadn't been ejected and CT hadn't gotten hurt? I guess you just have to deal with the cards you are dealt by the game dynamics? And yes, I thought MAl did pretty darn well given the hand he was dealt for his entire NU football career. Very glad to see him go out a winner!!

I wonder what the results of the game would have been if Snell and Fisher hadn't been ejected and CT hadn't gotten hurt? I guess you just have to deal with the cards you are dealt by the game dynamics? And yes, I thought MAl did pretty darn well given the hand he was dealt for his entire NU football career. Very glad to see him go out a winner!!

It looked like we were well on our way to another huge 2nd quarter and a rout when Larkin hit CT. We had their offense completely figured out at that point.

It looked like we were well on our way to another huge 2nd quarter and a rout when Larkin hit CT. We had their offense completely figured out at that point.
I was feeling pretty good at that point. But anything could have happened. In our reality, we won.

Don't discount Ben S's loss

Don't discount Ben S's loss

Respectfully, I will discount it, just like coach Stoops did (he acknowledged in the postgame presser, that they were not going to run the ball much anyway, Snell or not, so the Snell ejection did not make a huge difference).

We stoned running backs much better than Snell all year. Our Rush D was 10th in the country coming in , and Snell was not running well up to that point (hence, his frustration that led to the ejection). Do you truly think he was going to do what Barkley and Taylor could not?

Now if KY has lost Johnson for the game, that would have been quite a different story. Tough as nails, not afraid to go right after Hartage with success, and a decent dual threat. Almost won the game for KY.

Respectfully, I will discount it, just like coach Stoops did (he acknowledged in the postgame presser, that they were not going to run the ball much anyway, Snell or not, so the Snell ejection did not make a huge difference).

We stoned running backs much better than Snell all year. Our Rush D was 10th in the country coming in , and Snell was not running well up to that point (hence, his frustration that led to the ejection). Do you truly think he was going to do what Barkley and Taylor could not?

Now if KY has lost Johnson for the game, that would have been quite a different story. Tough as nails, not afraid to go right after Hartage with success, and a decent dual threat. Almost won the game for KY.

This. Barkley had more yardage in one run against Washington than he had the whole game against NU. And Washington was supposedly a premier run defense.

Reactions: mickbula
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT