ADVERTISEMENT

McCall’s game plan for Utah

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Due to the general underperformance of the Cats’ offense the last few years, Mick McCall has gotten a fair amount of abuse on this board. To me, it is hard to parse out the problems the Cats have had scoring: poor play on the O-line, poor decisions by Thorson, receivers who cannot get separation: these and more have been cited as problems.

Independent of the general inefficiencies of the offense, this year I have been really impressed by the quality of the offensive gameplans. When Thorson couldn’t move, he used quick hitters against Purdue. When there was no running back to establish a ground game against MSU, he had Thorson throw the ball all over the field. When the weather was terrible against Iowa and Minnesota, he used Bowser to control the games.

The Utah game posts a real challenge for Mick. Utah is a really good defensive team. Their front four is big and very strong in the middle and quick on the ends. They can deploy a 4-3 and a 4-2-5 configuration. My guess is that initially, the will favor the 4-2-5, using the extra safety to try to stop crossing routes, and rely on their tackles to limit Bowser with a 6 person front. Their right tackle leads the in sacks, is very quick, and will give Hance nightmares to the outside. Their corners have good quickness, and will probably jam the wide receivers at the line.

My guess is, since the Cats running backs don’t have the speed to challenge the edge, and since initially the Utes’ d-line will bunch the middle to stop the Bowser bread and butter, Mick will bring back the bubble screen early, hoping to trap their quick ends too deep to contest the throw and have the untargeted receiver engage the pressing CB to allow the slot receiver a point of leverage, along with an effort for Bowser to try some runs up the middle to see if the interior Cat o-line can find enough creases between the tackles to sustain a drive against a 6 man front. If one of these two works, he will continue to press that advantage until the Utes switch to a 4-3 or have their cornerbacks give some cushion. If neither works, the Cats had best hope their defense is equally effective to allow them to stay in the game.

To, me, this will be an interesting game. Both coaching staffs are really smart, adjust to opposition, and use the talent they have well. I am looking forward to Monday!

Last edited:
Due to the general underperformance of the Cats’ offense the last few years, Mick McCall has gotten a fair amount of abuse on this board. To me, it is hard to parse out the problems the Cats have had scoring: poor play on the O-line, poor decisions by Thorson, receivers who cannot get separation: these and more have been cited as problems.

Independent of the general inefficiencies of the offense, this year I have been really impressed by the quality of the offensive gameplans. When Thorson couldn’t move, he used quick hitters against Purdue. When there was no running back to establish a ground game against MSU, he had Thorson throw the ball all over the field. When the weather was terrible against Iowa and Minnesota, he used Bowser to control the games.

The Utah game posts a real challenge for Mick. Utah is a really good defensive team. Their front four is big and very strong in the middle and quick on the ends. They can deploy a 4-3 and a 4-2-5 configuration. My guess is that initially, the will favor the 4-2-5, using the extra safety to try to stop crossing routes, and rely on their tackles to limit Bowser with a 6 person front. Their right tackle leads the in sacks, is very quick, and will give Hance nightmares to the outside. Their corners have good quickness, and will probably jam the wide receivers at the line.

My guess is, since the Cats running backs don’t have the speed to challenge the edge, and since initially the Utes’ d-line will bunch the middle to stop the Bowser bread and butter, Mick will bring back the bubble screen early, hoping to trap their quick ends too deep to contest the throw and have the untargeted receiver engage the pressing CB to allow the slot receiver a point of leverage, along with an effort for Bowser to try some runs up the middle to see if the interior Cat o-line can find enough creases between the tackles to sustain a drive against a 6 man front. If one of these two works, he will continue to press that advantage until the Utes switch to a 4-3 or have their cornerbacks give some cushion. If neither works, the Cats had best hope their defense is equally effective to allow them to stay in the game.

To, me, this will be an interesting game. Both coaching staffs are really smart, adjust to opposition, and use the talent they have well. I am looking forward to Monday!
This is a game of preparation as neither team is loaded with 4 and 5 star athletes who can last if they don't do their homework.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
Run Bowser on first down. And then do it again on your next first down. And then on the next one, too.

(Great post, as always, @eastbaycat99.)

What I dont think we will see is the throw back pass to Clayton Thorson.....but then again Fitz has that stubborn streak........but seriousely dont think we will see CT with many called runs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT