ADVERTISEMENT

McCall called out by TG

1830sherman

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My concern is that this sort of public clamor tends to make Fitz dig in his heels even more.Then what?

5 takeaways from the loss
1. The Northwestern offense needs an overhaul.
Thirty points a game is the modern-day benchmark for offensive competency. Roughly half the FBS teams average it. Northwestern is at 12.5 per game — and just 9.5 in Big Ten play.

Only once in the last six years has Northwestern finished better than 83rd in points per game. It’s obvious that coordinator Mick McCall needs to be let go. If Pat Fitzgerald isn’t willing to part with him after the season, someone at the school with authority needs to force his hand. Period.

Reactions: IGNORE and mikero3
My concern is that this sort of public clamor tends to make Fitz dig in his heels even more.Then what?

Thirty points a game is the modern-day benchmark for offensive competency. Roughly half the FBS teams average it. Northwestern is at 12.5 per game — and just 9.5 in Big Ten play.

Only once in the last six years has Northwestern finished better than 83rd in points per game. It’s obvious that coordinator Mick McCall needs to be let go. If Pat Fitzgerald isn’t willing to part with him after the season, someone at the school with authority needs to force his hand. Period.

It’s beyond obvious a change is needed. If Fitz doesn’t make one then frankly he doesn’t have the best interests of the kids in mind.

Seems like at this point McCall would resign instead of stealing money

This is the first loss that an inept O didn't just hand the game to the opponent.

As bad as McCall has looked and continues to look, he's gotta be following orders from Fitz. So when we bash McCall from here onward, let's always remember to include Fitz too.

I wish somehow, some way a wake up call could be sent to Fitz, but he's not listening. Brace yourselves for the future with Fitz. And McCall.

Remember when NU games were fun?

This is the first loss that an inept O didn't just hand the game to the opponent.

As bad as McCall has looked and continues to look, he's gotta be following orders from Fitz. So when we bash McCall from here onward, let's always remember to include Fitz too.

I wish somehow, some way a wake up call could be sent to Fitz, but he's not listening. Brace yourselves for the future with Fitz. And McCall.

Remember when NU games were fun?
Honestly it’s like the more we lose the more stubborn Fitz gets. He’s snippy with the media and not forthcoming. Just call it what it is and be honest. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to do that and it’s really starting to upset me.

Also this from TG

"Aidan Smith carries himself like what he is, the starting quarterback. Hunter Johnson has been beaten out, at least for now."

Not sure if this is opinion or he has some inside info, but wow. To me, this means that we've somehow turned Hunter from a guy who, had Trevor Lawrence matriculated elsewhere, might be starting for Clemson, into a guy that isn't good enough to be 2nd string (w/o TJ injury) on the worst offense in the country.

Meanwhile, a guy with a new coach in a new system with basically the same pedigree (Fields) is going to be invited to New York, and deservedly so

Reactions: mikero3 and drewjin
It’s beyond obvious a change is needed. If Fitz doesn’t make one then frankly he doesn’t have the best interests of the kids in mind.

Seems like at this point McCall would resign instead of stealing money
Obviously, he has $$ interest first.
As Turk said a bit ago, Smith was our last best commitment on offense as a 5.7 three star.
In simplest terms, no offensive studs want to play in a pop warner (Turk's words) offense. It is possible that we lose some of our verbals as well with such ridiculousness. In fact, it is the exact sorta things I would expect.

Rewind 15 years ago...we had one of the most explosive offenses in the country, and a defense that ranked dead-last.

Then Fitz comes in and ironically, we've done a total 180.

In a program like ours, is it that we don't have enough talent, coaching and on the field, to be competitive on both sides of the ball at the same time?

I'm asking because I don't have any other answers or theories.

Rewind 15 years ago...we had one of the most explosive offenses in the country, and a defense that ranked dead-last.

In a program like ours, is it that we don't have enough talent, coaching and on the field, to be competitive on both sides of the ball at the same time?

Ryan is wasting hundreds of millions of dollars. We are worse off today, after the hundreds of millions.

Yes, McCall sucks. But only a former player would come here and coach under Fitz' paranoid and controlling style.
He ruined mccall but ZERO other OCs would agree to kill their career with a guy who dictates a flawed offensive system.

Ryan is wasting hundreds of millions of dollars. We are worse off today, after the hundreds of millions.

Yes, McCall sucks. But only a former player would come here and coach under Fitz' paranoid and controlling style.
He ruined mccall but ZERO other OCs would agree to kill their career with a guy who dictates a flawed offensive system.

I fully admit that I know I don't know what's malfunctioning behind the scenes. Some fans here will say it's McCall himself. Others will say it's McCall doing Fitz's bidding. I have no idea; the only people who DO know certainly won't say.

From Fitz's perspective, I think he would refute any argument about a poor offense with the fact that we've put more QBs in the NFL in the past 10 years and any other Big Ten team, and Justin Jackson has been great in LA. I also think he would very smugly tell you he didn't mind our offense doing its part to get us to the West Division title last year, three bowl games, 10 win seasons, etc. At no point would be acknowledge that we hit these accoloades in spite of the offensive struggles, and he won't wonder if he could have made it to the Rose Bowl last year with a better offense.

Colby to Hank
Wilson to Dunbar to McGee to Mick

There’s basically always the same level of NFL talent. And, if everything we hear all spring and summer is to be believed, there’s more talent top to bottom than ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkAge Survivor
or it may be that McCall is running the exact type of offense that Fitz wants. Never understand why its always the coordinator to blame when the damn head coach is in charge

Somehow I doubt that Fitz wants an offense that ranks dead last in Division I.

Ball control, complementary, call it whatever your want. But, there is no denying it’s just downright hideously awful.

Also this from TG

"Aidan Smith carries himself like what he is, the starting quarterback. Hunter Johnson has been beaten out, at least for now."

Not sure if this is opinion or he has some inside info, but wow. To me, this means that we've somehow turned Hunter from a guy who, had Trevor Lawrence matriculated elsewhere, might be starting for Clemson, into a guy that isn't good enough to be 2nd string (w/o TJ injury) on the worst offense in the country.

Meanwhile, a guy with a new coach in a new system with basically the same pedigree (Fields) is going to be invited to New York, and deservedly so
Hunter could not have been worse than Aidan yesterday. 6 of 20 for a total of 42 yards and an interception, 2.1 yards per pass.

Aidan does not have the arm, the tools that Hunter has. Aidan is not the quarterback of the future. Hunter at least has the potential to be, so he should be getting reps.

Unless Hunter really is still injured, but if that's the case, why won't Fitz just say so?

What the hell are you talking about?

McCall was flawed before he came to NU. Look up how well his offense did in his last game as OC of Bowling Green before he came to Evanston.

Reactions: boonman1
From Fitz's perspective, I think he would refute any argument about a poor offense with the fact that we've put more QBs in the NFL in the past 10 years and any other Big Ten team, and Justin Jackson has been great in LA. I also think he would very smugly tell you he didn't mind our offense doing its part to get us to the West Division title last year, three bowl games, 10 win seasons, etc. At no point would be acknowledge that we hit these accoloades in spite of the offensive struggles, and he won't wonder if he could have made it to the Rose Bowl last year with a better offense.

The fact that our offensive players DO BETTER when they leave McCall says something. Watching JJTBC on the Chargers makes me think McCall at least partially squandered his talent...Think about it...If your offense requires the magic of JJTBC to make 3 defenders miss on every play to gain positive yards... Maybe your offensive scheme ain't so great.

Reactions: IGNORE
The fact that our offensive players DO BETTER when they leave McCall says something. Watching JJTBC on the Chargers makes me think McCall at least partially squandered his talent...Think about it...If your offense requires the magic of JJTBC to make 3 defenders miss on every play to gain positive yards... Maybe your offensive scheme ain't so great.

Or maybe it says he is running behind an OL that can actually make some blocks?

Also this from TG

Aiden looked decent to me!

Reactions: stpaulcat
Honestly it’s like the more we lose the more stubborn Fitz gets. He’s snippy with the media and not forthcoming. Just call it what it is and be honest. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to do that and it’s really starting to upset me.

The plane flight home conversion was if Fitz job safe, The traveling OSU media could not understand why - somebody was not on the hot seat if Fitz is going stay.

It then just hit me - sometimes you have to look at the results and just make a decision. So many dynamic offenses today, and this is not working. Make the decision to change. I sure it is a tough call to make -but it is about wins and losses. Bottom line business

Reactions: IGNORE and lunker35

More punts then first downs, and more punting yardage then total offense.

Fitz has said the OL is not the problem.

Then Fitz must be blind. The o-line may not be our biggest issue on offense, but it is an issue. Fitz seems to realize it based on our current recruiting class.

The current offensive scheme isn’t good, but we need some dynamic WRs badly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT