ADVERTISEMENT

Media Days: Collins will lean heavily on experienced backcourt in 2022-23

"While Collins noted that the win total has gone up in each of the last three seasons, he said that they were disappointed with their final mark a year ago because 11 of the losses came by five points or fewer. If they had won half of those game, it could have drastically changed where the Wildcats wound up in the standings.

“Fifteen [wins] becomes 20 or 21, and you’re playing in the tournament,” he said."

Saw Lou's tweet quoting Chase Audige. He claimed Matt Nicholson worked hard over the summer and is the most improved player. Paging PWB. The moment you've waited your whole life for (ok... maybe not your whooole life) may be arriving!!

The Wildcats lost leading scorer and rebounder Pete Nance (North Carolina) and key sixth man Ryan Young (Duke) to the transfer portal.

“No one replaces [Nance and Young],” said Collins.

this quote kills me. Collins replaced Nance and Young with each other all season.

"While Collins noted that the win total has gone up in each of the last three seasons, he said that they were disappointed with their final mark a year ago because 11 of the losses came by five points or fewer. If they had won half of those game, it could have drastically changed where the Wildcats wound up in the standings.

“Fifteen [wins] becomes 20 or 21, and you’re playing in the tournament,” he said."
This is practically Collins arguing that

a) the talent last year was tournament quality
b) he should be fired.

I' m sure he doesn't see the irony, as I'm equally sure that he blames the players, not himself, for all of those close losses.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I am rooting for Collins' success this year. I'd really like to see him get over this hump.

And it's a mighty big hump, if he's relying on those two, given their performance up to now.

Maybe this is the breakout year for all three. Hoping. And doubting.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Coaches can prepare you, but ultimately the players have to perform,

NU needs to be tougher. The lose most of the 50/50 balls, miss too many free throws/layups and don't get stops when needed. Players need to look in the mirror
I agree to a point.
Ryan Young, a player I like, did miss some big free throws. Audige took crazy shots late in games. Beran disappeared late in games. But even that (guys not getting it done) reflects somewhat on the coach, who is supposed to help them perform under pressure...

My big gripe with Collins is that he did not give his team its best chance to win and made a lot of strange personnel moves in close games.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
I agree to a point.
Ryan Young, a player I like, did miss some big free throws. Audige took crazy shots late in games. Beran disappeared late in games. But even that (guys not getting it done) reflects somewhat on the coach, who is supposed to help them perform under pressure...

My big gripe with Collins is that he did not give his team its best chance to win and made a lot of strange personnel moves in close games.
I’d like to hear about a coach who is not that successful overall but is well known for winning lots of close games.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Audience does need to mature and understand what good shots are. Beran needs to stop disappearing in games and become a leader. Boo needs to play at the all league player he is capable of.

That leadership should help the team get a few more wins.

Bigs need to show up and own the paint (except for Purdue, that's a big dude)

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Saw Lou's tweet quoting Chase Audige. He claimed Matt Nicholson worked hard over the summer and is the most improved player. Paging PWB. The moment you've waited your whole life for (ok... maybe not your whooole life) may be arriving!!
Here it is...

Reactions: EagerFan and TheC
Thank you for posting that. I looked around and couldn't find your tweet.
I hope Audige is right about Nicholson. The purple-hearted optimist in me wants to believe that Hunger is going to step in and be ready from day one and that Matt finally gets his chance and exceeds people's expectations.

Thank you for posting that. I looked around and couldn't find your tweet.
I hope Audige is right about Nicholson. The purple-hearted optimist in me wants to believe that Hunger is going to step in and be ready from day one and that Matt finally gets his chance and exceeds people's expectations.

That would be amazing if both came to fruition. Imagine Big Matt leading NU to the Dance and saving CCC’s job? Do you think your head would explode???

While Collins noted that the win total has gone up in each of the last three seasons, he said that they were disappointed with their final mark a year ago because 11 of the losses came by five points or fewer. If they had won half of those game, it could have drastically changed where the Wildcats wound up in the standings.
I think he is saying, "if we had won more games we would have had a better record".

Also remember they have two new coaches, Brian McIntosh and Chris Lowry.

Hopefully they will help change the culture and expectations of the players

Reactions: Inovacat
What do you think Mac will be doing this year that he hasn't been the last few years in terms of coaching? I mean, I know he got the job officially recently, but will that impact what he's actually been doing?

He should be more I volleyball with the day to day and instruction.

He was the video person before (or something like that ) so not much say with the players instruction

"involved"?

I guess I assume that Collins has been grooming him since the initial hire to be the guard coach or something similar and has had him as involved as allowed. But I've obviously no evidence, just assumptions.

Too bad they don't have an open practice for the fans. Then people can actually see what is happening.

Practice? You talking practice? Who wants to watch this team practice when nobody wants to see the real games?

Reactions: NJCat
Last year they had an intrasquad scrimmage and invited the season ticket holders. Is this not happening this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT