ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day

Thank you to the Veterans on this board for your service. As we remember those who gave their life to this country, is it also important to me to give respect to those still with us.

God Bless America.

Well said.

Saving Private Ryan should be required watching for all Americans. The imagery of the hell and sacrifice at Omaha Beach is something we should all experience as Americans.

An extremely sobering depiction of battle; I remember being rattled the first time I saw it. I would never, ever want to be in combat, and I am grateful for all the men and women who have put their lives and sanity on the line.

Band of Brothers. Only thing I’ve ever binge watched in my lifetime.
Many films about WWII, as you mention, and some about Vietnam depicted combat as well as is possible in a virtual way, except there was no music playing at Iwo Jima, or at Khe Sanh. They are important for us to be able to remember, but for younger generations, how do they separate the reality of these films with the fantasy of so much other violent media today (probably produced by air heads, thinking it's cool). Pain and suffering doesn't exist until it does.

An extremely sobering depiction of battle; I remember being rattled the first time I saw it. I would never, ever want to be in combat, and I am grateful for all the men and women who have put their lives and sanity on the line.
And many didn't have a choice in the matter.

Many films about WWII, as you mention, and some about Vietnam depicted combat as well as is possible in a virtual way, except there was no music playing at Iwo Jima, or at Khe Sanh. They are important for us to be able to remember, but for younger generations, how do they separate the reality of these films with the fantasy of so much other violent media today (probably produced by air heads, thinking it's cool). Pain and suffering doesn't exist until it does.

By including footage of the actual subject soldiers, which is my favorite part of the entire series.

I concur, gcg. Watched all of the episodes shown today on an HBO channel. Was left sobbing -- not for the first time -- by the last Band of Brothers episode.

My father was in Okinawa at the time Europe's WWII ended, and of course the carnage on that island was unmatched in the Pacific. There are two types of veterans of that conflict: those who prized the memories, attended reunions and the like -- and those who could not bring themselves to speak of it. My dad was among the latter. It wasn't until after his death when I opened his safe deposit box at the bank that I saw, neatly packaged, all his WWII insignia, medals and commendations. As the saying goes, he didn't need to talk about it. He did it.

ADVERTISEMENT