ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan football going to Europe in back to back years?

Harbaugh strikes me as a guy who would go to Paris and want to eat at McDonalds.
When I went to Paris in 1976, that was the first place I went. US fast food is one of the first places I find in any new city. I read an article once where there is a value to fast food restaurants emotionally. When you are in a new place and everything around you is new and different, then you can go to a McDonalds and there is a similarity to any McDonalds anywhere. I need that sometimes.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
When I went to Paris in 1976, that was the first place I went. US fast food is one of the first places I find in any new city. I read an article once where there is a value to fast food restaurants emotionally. When you are in a new place and everything around you is new and different, then you can go to a McDonalds and there is a similarity to any McDonalds anywhere. I need that sometimes.
When I lived in Budapest I'd hit McDonals twice a week or so. Also Burger King (Voppa Sajtal! = Whopper with cheese) and Pizza Hut. I was poor and getting way too skinny, so that was my solution.

When I lived in Budapest I'd hit McDonals twice a week or so. Also Burger King (Voppa Sajtal! = Whopper with cheese) and Pizza Hut. I was poor and getting way too skinny, so that was my solution.
That is the nice thing about Pizza Hut. We do not have one here (which sucks) but Europeans do nasty things with pizza. If you order pepperoni, you will get green peppers. The closest approximation to our pepperoni is salami which is pretty close but they still tend to add the darn peppers. They add crap like corn to the toppings.

At every Pizza Hut I have been to around the world, you can usually order a pepperoni and get a real US-style pepperoni.

That is the nice thing about Pizza Hut. We do not have one here (which sucks) but Europeans do nasty things with pizza. If you order pepperoni, you will get green peppers. The closest approximation to our pepperoni is salami which is pretty close but they still tend to add the darn peppers. They add crap like corn to the toppings.

At every Pizza Hut I have been to around the world, you can usually order a pepperoni and get a real US-style pepperoni.
Hungarian pizza was hilarious back in those days (early 90s). Their pizzas had peas, carrots, and broccoli if you weren't careful.

Your question implies confusing what Michigan did on its trip this past spring with other sports that tour internationally to compete in exhibition games.

While Michigan held three practices (as part of its NCAA limited number of on field practices and within the calendar of time allotted to do so), they did not play any exhibition games against Italian teams.

The other difference is that a womens basketball team that goes to Greece or Brazil in the offseason, has to do it while the school/university is in a vacation period. Michigan's trip was while school was still in session, therefore they were able to allow interested students to tie academic/internship opportunities to the trip.

Is it a field that some might consider a "loophole?" Perhaps, but the difference here is going to be one where "learning" is stressed over the athletic benefit ( which can be argued as zero).

Don't forget the inch of grease that PH provides on every pizza

Don't forget the inch of grease that PH provides on every pizza
ESPECIALLY the inch of grease!!!!!!

But the Pizza Huts I have found over here do not include the deep dish meat lovers which was the only pizza I have ever had that is too greasy for me. And that was only the middle part.

You are talking to a man who is on a diet where lunch was an orange, three lettuce leaves, and some grapes. I would drink a glass of grease right now.

That's because pepperoni is an American invention that is derived from salami. Pepperoni is the Italian word for peppers.

I am all for an occasional taste of home when I am overseas for a long stretch, but there is no way I am spending much time at McD's or Pizza Hut over the local cuisine. I have a hard time imagining any pizza that is worse than Pizza Hut. If you think that is good pizza, then we have pretty different tastes in food.

That's because pepperoni is an American invention that is derived from salami. Pepperoni is the Italian word for peppers.

I am all for an occasional taste of home when I am overseas for a long stretch, but there is no way I am spending much time at McD's or Pizza Hut over the local cuisine. I have a hard time imagining any pizza that is worse than Pizza Hut. If you think that is good pizza, then we have pretty different tastes in food.
Pizza Hut thin crust pepperoni is the best.

In terms of worse pizza...

Little Cesar's for sure.

I personally dislike Dominoes as well.

I don't know why so many people give a crap about Harbaugh. He has been overrated as a coach- especially in the Big Ten. With all that talent on UM, he hasn't done much with it. I think it's great that he's eccentric or at least idiosyncratic/but definitely offensive- especially to snubbed and unwanted recruits/commits. But how many BIG titles (or even BIG east titles) does he have? Zero. He still hasn't beaten the Buckeyes. Hoke did at least once. And in that game against OSU last year that went to double OT or something, he made worse decisions than most of the loser Illini coaches would have made had they been there. If Harbaugh wants to bring his players to Europe, then I honestly couldn't care less. Bring them there and have lots of fun. Jim, your act is getting old in my opinion.

Pizza Hut thin crust pepperoni is the best.

In terms of worse pizza...

Little Cesar's for sure.

I personally dislike Dominoes as well.

I put all of those mega chain pizza restaurants in the same category of bad pizza. Might as well eat a frozen pizza.

I don't know why so many people give a crap about Harbaugh. He has been overrated as a coach- especially in the Big Ten. With all that talent on UM, he hasn't done much with it. I think it's great that he's eccentric or at least idiosyncratic/but definitely offensive- especially to snubbed and unwanted recruits/commits. But how many BIG titles (or even BIG east titles) does he have? Zero. He still hasn't beaten the Buckeyes. Hoke did at least once. And in that game against OSU last year that went to double OT or something, he made worse decisions than most of the loser Illini coaches would have made had they been there. If Harbaugh wants to bring his players to Europe, then I honestly couldn't care less. Bring them there and have lots of fun. Jim, your act is getting old in my opinion.

How can you simultaneously not care less, but also think his act is getting old?

Reactions: mickbula
I'm quite sure that he's using those trips as a recruiting tool. Seems like unfair and excessive advantage. Then again maybe Fitz can take the Wildcats to Bermuda or Rio. Road trip! Purple Party!

IMHO, the best frozen pizza is called "Urban Pie." They sell it in the Chicagoland area at places like Mariano's and Mieyer grocery stores. Try it. It costs just as much as Dijourno pizzas but tastes a lot better and goes down the gullet a lot crisper/cleaner.

Reactions: klemman

This posting deserves a few photos.

Below, the McDonalds in Kochi, Japan from earlier this summer, though I ended up snacking at "Mr. Donut" across from it instead. (Like most expatriates there I developed an affinity for "Melon Cream Soda" so that dictated the choice.)

All of the subsequent pizza postings from above prompted me to warm up for breakfast my leftover brick oven baked ""Double Sausage" from Alaska's "Glacier Brewhouse."

IMG_3005_zpszf1iqfgb.jpg
IMG_4972_zpsga76b5wx.jpg
IMG_3020_zpss0pwxazt.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding going to "American Restaurants" in a foreign country-- unless you're they're for business- as in not for pleasure, or live there and want a momentary taste of home, there's no reason to get a burger and fries. If you can't be away from American Culture for a week or two, then don't go anywhere outside of our border. There's plenty of nice vacation spots in the good ol US of A, where you can eat exactly the same diet as back home.

Regarding football, I doubt if you'll find many top players who make their decision to attend UM because of a trip to Europe. Harbaugh is a quality coach but like many eccentrics, he's starting to buy his own hype. He is making decisions like he can't make a wrong decision. He's using up Spring Practices on these jaunts and taking away reps from players who need those reps to develop.I hope they take a trip every year.

Regarding going to "American Restaurants" in a foreign country-- unless you're they're for business- as in not for pleasure, or live there and want a momentary taste of home, there's no reason to get a burger and fries. If you can't be away from American Culture for a week or two, then don't go anywhere outside of our border. There's plenty of nice vacation spots in the good ol US of A, where you can eat exactly the same diet as back home.
Disagree. There are good reasons people would go to McDonalds on a foreign vacation.

When I would travel with my small children, it was very nice to have a meal that did not include endless debate about trying something new or what is that, etc. We would eat most of our meals in local restaurants with these debates but every so often my wife and I just wanted a restaurant where the kids knew the menu and there was no game of 101 questions associated with the appetizer.

Another is that with driving vacations sometimes we wanted to eat quickly, use the bathroom, and get back on the road. Fast food is the best way to do that regardless of country.

Lastly it is kind of fun seeing the differences between a US McDonalds and a foreign McDonalds. In the Middle East, they have the McArabie sandwich which is their version of that awful pressed barbecued fake ribs that they sell in the US except with fake lamb meat. It is just as awful... but interesting.

Disagree. There are good reasons people would go to McDonalds on a foreign vacation.

Lastly it is kind of fun seeing the differences between a US McDonalds and a foreign McDonalds. In the Middle East, they have the McArabie sandwich which is their version of that awful pressed barbecued fake ribs that they sell in the US except with fake lamb meat. It is just as awful... but interesting.

Have to agree with Glide, especially on his final point. Seeing foreign interpretation of American Fast Food is itself a cultural experience. For example the "Melon Cream Soda" pictured in my photo at a "Mr. Donut" is unique to Japan.

If and when I do stop at an American Fast Food place in a foreign country I always look for unique items on the menu. The McDonalds at the Munich Airport for example offered an assortment of European pastries that were just as good as those elsewhere in Germany.

IMG_3378_zpswwbrphar.jpg

Last edited:
Goodnight points on the kids. When traveling I tried to get the young ones to open up their culinary experiences but an order of chicken nuggets is a small price to play for a moment of peace.

Also have to concede regarding interpretations of American food, My post was in reference for those who feel the need for a Quarter Pounder after being away from home for all of 4 days. If there is an opportunity for McOctopus Nuggets, I suppose it's part of the cultural experience. Lol.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

You make it sound like JH has been there ten years.

I guess we'll see about Harbag this year. I know they recruit top talent at Michigan, but I'm amazed at the love they're getting with something like three returning starters this year. If he gets this team into the top 10, you'll have to give him some credit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT