ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan football team to help one week of spring practice in Italy, then tour the sites.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Unreal. The guy really pushes the boundaries. Gonna cost a fortune to move all their equipment around, especially since Power 5 programs can't afford to pay their players......
In America the rich get richer and soon the poor will just get sick and die.

Reactions: NUCat320
Great idea -- leg up on others with regard to recruiting. It will take a few $$'s but Michigan plays before 100,000 + for each home date. Good for those players.

and, Go Cats !!

Reactions: Sheffielder
At Stanford he held the admin hostage and forced them to allow for summer school for every incoming freshman. At the time only a few could do this. What harbaugh wants. He gets

Great idea -- leg up on others with regard to recruiting. It will take a few $$'s but Michigan plays before 100,000 + for each home date. Good for those players.

and, Go Cats !!
Has Michigan ever been on probation? That could be the next headline.

One has to have mixed feelings on this. Giving the players a cultural experience certainly fits well with promoting the mission statement of putting emphasis on the "student" in student-athlete.

On the other hand with regard to preserving a level playing field for recruiting, not so much.

( I recall as an underclassman at NU taking an Art History Class. I think I was the only kid in the class who had not been to Europe. As I found out at test time when we had to identify slides taken in Europe, those who had been there had a huge advantage.)

Last edited:
He does have some kind of budget constraints right? I mean there has to be some thing that gets cut because of this trip? This trip will have to cost $500,000 or even much more. Right?

In America the rich get richer and soon the poor will just get sick and die.
I am not sure how Jimmy bringing his team on a glorified field trip is going to cause ruination for other programs. It's not exactly zero sum. I guess it might help UM in recruiting, but when you are pulling in top 5 classes I am not sure how much incremental improvement a gimmick like this will yield.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
If I were a guy paying what it probably costs to buy a couple of season tickets at Michigan, I think I'd have a problem with this. But I guess Harbaugh does what Harbaugh does.

I am not sure how Jimmy bringing his team on a glorified field trip is going to cause ruination for other programs. It's not exactly zero sum. I guess it might help UM in recruiting, but when you are pulling in top 5 classes I am not sure how much incremental improvement a gimmick like this will yield.

I think it would help a lot with recruiting, especially the kids that want the celebrity experience who are often the choice picks because they can be.

I think it would help a lot with recruiting, especially the kids that want the celebrity experience who are often the choice picks because they can be.

I guess he isn't breaking any rules, but I would think the NCAA would want to put similar guard rails around the frequency like they did in BBall. Maybe they already exist.

Let's see Spring trip to Monaco, a Caribbean Island, Hawaii, etc seems like an advantage to the schools that can afford it. Wish I had that free cultural experience in my day.

I don't see how it will help recruiting, when is the last time you saw and Italian playing NCAAF?

/S

I guess he isn't breaking any rules, but I would think the NCAA would want to put similar guard rails around the frequency like they did in BBall. Maybe they already exist.

Let's see Spring trip to Monaco, a Caribbean Island, Hawaii, etc seems like an advantage to the schools that can afford it. Wish I had that free cultural experience in my day.
If they can ban football practice trips into SEC territory, why can't they do same for trips out of the U.S.. This is an obvious recruiting ploy. if you come to Michigan we will take you to Europe for vacation, free.

The NCAA recently voted to ban off-campus practices during vacation periods, but the rule doesn't take effect until August.

This is a one and done trip. A ban against trips like this goes into effect in August.

Great idea, good opportunity for the kids, expensive for the school, but they sell 100,000 tickets a game so there is some nickles floating around there to spend. NU can take the team to the Quatar campus.

This is a one and done trip. A ban against trips like this goes into effect in August.

Nope, this is not covered by the decision. This is after school lets out and has a study abroad element added for three weeks for any players that want it. UM has vetted this and they plan on doing it every year.

Nope, this is not covered by the decision. This is after school lets out and has a study abroad element added for three weeks for any players that want it. UM has vetted this and they plan on doing it every year.

Got to hand it to Hardballs. He looks for every loop hole in the rules to gain an advantage. Guess that is his job, but it further expands the arms race.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT