ADVERTISEMENT

Mick McCall is gone

Is there any chance that PF has someone already lined up? Fits seems like a guy who wouldn’t make this kind of move without a replacement.
Fitz will want to present the idea that many candidates were considered so there will probably be a list and some interviews if for no other reason but to get the programs name out there in the media.
Phillips does his homework though and doesn't leave much to chance. IMO

All the best to MM in his future coaching endeavors. I see that the Northern Colorado Bears ( FBS ) have fired their HC.....In any event, accountability is critical for any organization and this was the right move. Good for Fitz! A tough call. He is growing as a coach and a leader.

Today, rules changes ( eg strictly enforced penalties for roughing the QB, targeting, and PI, as well as no hitting defenseless receivers, etc.) have hobbled defenses and Offense is ascendant. You need no further proof than the Alabama vs Auburn score yesterday. See also a recent WSJ article relating LSU’s philosophical change in this regard. Creative, flexible OCs are now uber critical to a team’s success. Yesterday, UW -an Offense traditionally built around a strong running attack- anticipated 8 in the box and dominated Minnesota with the passing game and screens.

Next up : figuring out how to recruit good PKs....

Fitz will want to present the idea that many candidates were considered so there will probably be a list and some interviews if for no other reason but to get the programs name out there in the media.

If he does it right, Phillips should not be intimately involved in this process.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I wish McCall good luck in finding his next position. I look forward to the change. I wonder if Kevin Johns will be considered. He knows NU and has had a number of good jobs since leaving.

I’m not going to celebrate a good man losing his job. Mick McCall was part of a lot of success here, for better or worse, and represented the program, his players, and the school well. That said, it’s definitely time to move on and strive for better.

Thanks for the Ws, Mick, and best of luck moving forward. Excited for the program to get some new blood and try a new direction.

Well said, and my sentiments too. While I was a big critic of his offense, it was not personal and I wish nothing but the best for Mick in the future.

Anything in excess of two weeks in naming an OC would indicate not getting anyone on the short list and probably installing a placeholder.

Anything in excess of two weeks in naming an OC would indicate not getting anyone on the short list and probably installing a placeholder.
I would assume it will be quick with signing day about 2 weeks away. Fitz is undoubtedly communicating with the verbals on the offensive side about a timeline.

Reactions: BigCatFan19
I see no inherent problem with rooting for McCall to be fired given that the motivation is rooting for the program’s success.

It’s illogical to place the ethical ambiguity of rooting for a firing at a higher priority than the overall mission since doing so elevates a singular person to a position of greater importance than the program as a whole.

I hope Mick finds something that makes him happy somewhere else, but I’m THRILLED he was fired.

I’m not going to celebrate a good man losing his job. Mick McCall was part of a lot of success here, for better or worse, and represented the program, his players, and the school well. That said, it’s definitely time to move on and strive for better.

Thanks for the Ws, Mick, and best of luck moving forward. Excited for the program to get some new blood and try a new direction.
One of the nicest men I have met. Good luck to Mick

Thanks for your time spent at NU Coach McCall the past weeks have been troublesome,but on the whole a lot of us were standing and cheering during many games,good luck in your future endeavors .

I see no inherent problem with rooting for McCall to be fired given that the motivation is rooting for the program’s success.

It’s illogical to place the ethical ambiguity of rooting for a firing at a higher priority than the overall mission since doing so elevates a singular person to a position of greater importance than the program as a whole.

I hope Mick finds something that makes him happy somewhere else, but I’m THRILLED he was fired.
Nothing more dangerous than a college kid with a thesaurus.

He’s a person, not a commodity.

I would assume it will be quick with signing day about 2 weeks away. Fitz is undoubtedly communicating with the verbals on the offensive side about a timeline.

If we are hiring someone who is still involved with a program that is headed to a bowl game, hypothetically we may not see an announcement until after the bowl games.

Reactions: NUThump and drewjin
So no mention of retirement. Seems like this is an outright firing. Very surprising. I wonder how much of a factor the Atkinson situation played into this decision.
Wasn't his contract up?

I agree 100% - I had a distinct feeling that this would happen and am neither celebrating this news nor that I was right. It’s never funny or positive to see someone lose their job - particularly before the holidays - and he did the best he could during his time in Evanston.

Good luck Coach McCall in all your future endeavors. Your 2012 offense proved that a dual QB system can work under the right circumstances, and you developed three QBs for the pros in eleven seasons - a very rare feat at NU.
A rare feat most anywhere not in the CFP

Some people just aren’t very innovative in anything they do. Don’t you work or know anyone who is just average at their job? There’s nothing inherently wrong with being average in most careers; but most of us aren’t paid a small fortune like B1G coordinators are.

His offense worked just well enough for us to set wins records and our OL always received the blame. Once we hired Anderson, it was clear where the issue was.

To get to the next level, we need someone who will give us a strategic advantage at OC. We’ll see what Fitz does - he should have a much larger budget to hire than he did in 2008.
Actually the hiring of Anderson likely helped to his demise. (Final nail was likely AA) At the beginning of the season, the OL had not adjusted to the new system (and three new guys) It lead to a lot of the offensive issues. Do not know that you can say that Mick did not innovate. He was able to put together a two QB system that actually worked. He was able to deal with an underperforming QB in CTs Frosh year and again able to deal with the changes needed when CT was playing injured and when Larkin was forced to retire. But after this year, it was time to move on.

Last edited:
Screenshot-1835-718x490.png

Good Luck Mick... thanks for the memories!
Pure gold. Isn't that Freakazoid in front of him?

Some people just aren’t very innovative in anything they do. Don’t you work or know anyone who is just average at their job? There’s nothing inherently wrong with being average in most careers; but most of us aren’t paid a small fortune like B1G coordinators are.

His offense worked just well enough for us to set wins records and our OL always received the blame. Once we hired Anderson, it was clear where the issue was.

To get to the next level, we need someone who will give us a strategic advantage at OC. We’ll see what Fitz does - he should have a much larger budget to hire than he did in 2008.
Hope the new OC brings in a new WR coach.

Reactions: DrillCat
I wish McCall good luck in finding his next position. I look forward to the change. I wonder if Kevin Johns will be considered. He knows NU and has had a number of good jobs since leaving.
I do not think Johns left on good terms

Actually the hiring of Anderson likely helped to his demise. (Final nail was likely AA) At the beginning of the season, the OL had not adjusted to the new system (and three new guys) It lead to a lot of the offensive issues. Do not know that you can say that Mick did not innovate. He was able to put together a two QB system that actually worked. He was able to deal with an underperforming QB in CTs Frosh year and again able to deal with the changes needed when CT was playing injured and when Larkin was forced to retire. But after this year, it was time to move on.
Alright, I said in the post you quoted that once we hired Anderson he was exposed.

His work in 2012 was easily his finest year. He hasn’t innovated since.

And I would argue that Clayton could have had more wins with a better play caller. I am not questioning his ability to develop QBs for the NFL and posited that he did a good job in that area as well.

I can nearly guarantee that this difficult decision was not made due to one season of awfulness. But it is done and it’s time to find our new OC.

He did a great job. Thanks for the memories

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Coach Hank deserves a nice bump in his salary too.
If he wants to come back, I think he can basically name his price.

I have heard that there is a good chance that he is retiring though. The good news is I think we might have a good internal candidate to replace him...

Nothing more dangerous than a college kid with a thesaurus.

He’s a person, not a commodity.

Mick is a person. So is the person who will get a job to replace Mick that may not otherwise have a job. It is non debatable that his dismissal creates one more job for another person to occupy. Why shall we celebrate Mick more than his successor when Mick has shown he cannot do the job for which he was hired?

He’s a person who has an employer whose fiscal success is dependent on public investment, both financial and emotional. His failures have undoubtedly cost his employer significant amounts of money.

For that employer to remain successful, his dismissal was imperative.

Wishing for his dismissal is not wishing ill on the person.

You may choose to be a McCall fan, I will choose to be a Northwestern fan.

Mick is a person. So is the person who will get a job to replace Mick that may not have otherwise. Why shall we celebrate Mick more than his successor when Mick has shown he cannot do the job for which he was hired?

He’s a person who has an employer whose fiscal success is dependent on public investment, both financial and emotional. His failures have undoubtedly cost his employer significant amounts of money.

For that employer to remain successful, his dismissal was imperative.

You may choose to be a McCall fan, I will choose to be a Northwestern fan.
Blah blah blah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT