ADVERTISEMENT

Mick McCall is gone

I know I am in the minority, but I hope the new OC brings an entirely new offense. I think NU would do well running the triple option. The Wing T is another choice, although unproven in D1 football. If we ran the same triple option as the service academies we would quickly become the pesky purple pain-in-the-ass of the Big Ten.

I know I am in the minority, but I hope the new OC brings an entirely new offense. I think NU would do well running the triple option. The Wing T is another choice, although unproven in D1 football. If we ran the same triple option as the service academies we would quickly become the pesky purple pain-in-the-ass of the Big Ten.

No

Bad idea. We want an offense that will help us win championships. That means scoring enough points on teams like dOSU to win.

Bad idea. We want an offense that will help us win championships. That means scoring enough points on teams like dOSU to win.
No one pays me to advise or coach a football program. I'm just a fan with an internet connection. That said, you don't need to score 52 points a game when you control the ball for 41 minutes.

Alright, I said in the post you quoted that once we hired Anderson he was exposed.

His work in 2012 was easily his finest year. He hasn’t innovated since.

And I would argue that Clayton could have had more wins with a better play caller. I am not questioning his ability to develop QBs for the NFL and posited that he did a good job in that area as well.

I can nearly guarantee that this difficult decision was not made due to one season of awfulness. But it is done and it’s time to find our new OC.
I m saying that at the beginning of this year, that the OL performance had actually declined, at least in part because of the OL coach replacement. Long term it should be better but at the beginning of the year, the OL had taken a step back. Part was because of new guys and part was the implementation of a new system.

I would disagree that he has not innovated since 2012. Prime recent examples are CT's RS Frosh year and last year.

No one pays me to advise or coach a football program. I'm just a fan with an internet connection. That said, you don't need to score 52 points a game when you control the ball for 41 minutes.

Good luck doing that against elite teams. The mentality should be to build a championship caliber offense, not just a gimmick that can control the ball against bad teams.

I m saying that at the beginning of this year, that the OL performance had actually declined, at least in part because of the OL coach replacement. Long term it should be better but at the beginning of the year, the OL had taken a step back. Part was because of new guys and part was the implementation of a new system.

I would disagree that he has not innovated since 2012. Prime recent examples are CT's RS Frosh year and last year.

How was 2015 innovative? Somehow winning despite scoring fewer and fewer points? And getting blown out against good teams?

No thank you. It helps in some ways but there is an upper limit to that type of offense and most elite offensive talent does not want to play in the triple option or wing-T. Just ask Georgia Tech.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

How did he innovate in CT’s first year? It seemed a lot like every other year.

I’m still recovering from that Outback bowl. UT knew what our offense would do on seemingly every snap, just like Michigan and Iowa did that year. Flying back from Tampa was when I knew we needed to make a change schematically.

Last edited:
You were the guy who insulted me on the basis of my opinion differing, right?

And you were the guy who responded “blah blah blah” when I gave further articulation, no?

Gotta love the Internet.
I insulted you? That’s a thin skin indeed. I don’t feel the need to engage further with you on this because you are wrong. Your view is myopic and not shared by anyone who has had any real responsibility. That you seem to think you lend it any legitimacy by using big words also shows a lack of real understanding. Take a look at the post that garnered the most positive response in this thread from a variety of people that disagree on a lot of things, big and small. As I said, stay classy.

Mick is a person. So is the person who will get a job to replace Mick that may not otherwise have a job. It is non debatable that his dismissal creates one more job for another person to occupy. Why shall we celebrate Mick more than his successor when Mick has shown he cannot do the job for which he was hired?

He’s a person who has an employer whose fiscal success is dependent on public investment, both financial and emotional. His failures have undoubtedly cost his employer significant amounts of money.

For that employer to remain successful, his dismissal was imperative.

Wishing for his dismissal is not wishing ill on the person.

You may choose to be a McCall fan, I will choose to be a Northwestern fan.

So your takeaway is “both McCall and his replacement are people?”

If we ran the same triple option as the service academies we would quickly become the pesky purple pain-in-the-ass of the Big Ten.
Paul Johnson, in 11 years at GaTech running the triple option, won 4 division crowns but only one conference title (and the conference title and one of the other division crowns were the first two years he was there, before teams knew how to defend his offense). He went to 9 bowl games but only won 3. He never got anywhere near a playoff berth. No thanks.

Besides, option offenses are boring to watch.

Right or wrong, this response was definitely predictable. Apt, considering the topic of this thread.

So your takeaway is “both McCall and his replacement are people?”

Wait, seriously? The post im replying to quite literally only makes the point that MxCall is a person, and you’re going to say that *my* takeaway is that he is a person?

I legitimately have no clue what to make of that.

I guess I’ll try to address what you may be asking by saying that it’s illogical to be upset McCall got fired on the basis that he is a person, because his firing will give a job to to another being who otherwise wouldn’t have a job, who will also be a person. It’s a zero sum game.

Wait, seriously? The post im replying to quite literally only makes the point that MxCall is a person, and you’re going to say that *my* takeaway is that he is a person?

I legitimately have no clue what to make of that.

I guess I’ll try to address what you may be asking by saying that it’s illogical to be upset McCall got fired on the basis that he is a person, because his firing will give a job to to another being who otherwise wouldn’t have a job, who will also be a person. It’s a zero sum game.

So... there wasn’t much of a point at all to your post, which didn’t really have a point.

Reactions: gahcats
One of the nicest men I have met. Good luck to Mick
I’ve never met Mick but so was Colby. He was easily one of the nicest people I’ve ever met near the gridiron.

Fitz made a tough call back in 2007 and he made another one today. While his schemes weren’t great, it still stings to hear people mock Coach Colby. I know I’ve been a smart ass at times but you’ll never hear another negative word about McCall from me out of respect for him and his people.

Time to move on. IFWT.

1930 called. They want their offense back. Hey oh!

Reactions: evanston09
Best reason I heard about why not to implement the option offense is that defensive recruits do not want to practice against cut blocking. Career ender.

Best reason I heard about why not to implement the option offense is that defensive recruits do not want to practice against cut blocking. Career ender.
Yup. It cost one of our LB his entire season in a live game back in the 2000s. We should be able to run a Stanford-type offense, not a service academy triple option.

Because I pointed out that a pointless post was pointless?

If you’re actually interested, which I’m extremely confident you’re not, I’ll attempt to break this down.

1. I make a comment that explains why I view it as okay to root for McCall to be fired.

2. I get a response to said point saying McCall is a person.

3. I response to number 2 saying that he is a person, but so is his replacement, so that’s not a moot point.

4. You accuse me of making a pointless post by saying he’s a person.

5. I question how you got there given that that my post was a response to a contradiction/criticism of my post, assigning responsibility of point number 2 discussed above to me.

6. You seemingly disregard the completely valid explanation and reiterate point number 4.

Something had to be done to make a change due to the declining offensive performance the last few years and hitting bottom this year. At the same time, from what I've heard, Mick McCall is a good man. It must have been very hard for Coach Fitzgerald to terminate his friend, even with all the signs pointing to the need to do it. But I think the same thing happens in the workplace...like it is easier to let go of the annoying jerk who is underperforming, but it might be more emotionally draining to terminate a good, decent, and hardworking person who just happens to also be underperforming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT