ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy’s Wardrobe

Why do Canadians like Chuba Hubbard come to America and try to tell us what we can and cannot say?
By that logic, we have no right to criticize China for its human rights abuses in Hong Kong, Tibet, etc. That sounds strikingly similar to the narrative the Chinese Communist leaders are pushing.

Why do Canadians like Chuba Hubbard come to America and try to tell us what we can and cannot say?

LOL, how pathetic. You think this is about about Chuba Hubbard? This is about any person associated with Oklahoma State and college football in general who sees Mike Gundy’s actions, especially in these tense times, as a careless and reprehensible affront to all persons who find racism repulsive and the existence of institutional racism in any form as an unacceptable standard that runs counter to our country’s founding ideals and will no longer be tolerated in our society. As a top African American player on Oklahoma State’s football team, Hubbard happens to be the individual with the courage and most leverage to speak out against Grundy right now but rest assured there are many other players, former players, alums, and college football fans that are right behind Mr. Hubbard.

By that logic, we have no right to criticize China for its human rights abuses in Hong Kong, Tibet, etc. That sounds strikingly similar to the narrative the Chinese Communist leaders are pushing.
Wearing an OAN shirt out on a fishing trip on his own time isn't equivalent and really isn't any of his business.

Now, the reported use of the n-word is a different story and he should answer for it.

Wearing an OAN shirt out on a fishing trip on his own time isn't equivalent and really isn't any of his business.

Now, the reported use of the n-word is a different story and he should answer for it.

Your argument is...what's the expression...piss poor, and strikes me as more political than well-reasoned. And here is why:

While it is undoubtedly true that Mike Gundy has the freedom to express whatsoever he chooses to--including on this clothing, his bumper stickers, at press conferences, etc--his actions do not exist in a bubble that is automatically free from rebuke.

No person has to placate him one bit.

So yes, he can wear an OAN T-Shirt and feign ignorance and shock--absolute SHOCK he tells us--at learning OAN's position on BLM (because, of course, they hide their viewpoints so well), but so too, is Hubbard empowered to speak out against this, or to refuse to play for him.

That, too, is expression. And it has every equal footing with Gundy's T-shirt selection.

I mean, you agree that Hubbard has a right to free expression, too, right? So why do you mislead by stating that Hubbard is "trying to tell us what we can and can't say"? He is doing nothing of the sort. Rather, he is using his own statements and actions to comment on his head coach's decision.

And that, dear FeralFelidae, is a most American thing to do.

Your argument is...what's the expression...piss poor, and strikes me as more political than well-reasoned. And here is why:

While it is undoubtedly true that Mike Gundy has the freedom to express whatsoever he chooses to--including on this clothing, his bumper stickers, at press conferences, etc--his actions do not exist in a bubble that is automatically free from rebuke.

So yes, he can wear an OAN T-Shirt and feign ignorance and shock--absolute SHOCK he tells us--at learning OAN's position on BLM (because, of course, they hide their viewpoints so well), but so too, is Hubbard empowered to speak out against this, or to refuse to play for him.

That, too, is expression. And it has every equal footing with Gundy's T-shirt selection.

I mean, you agree that Hubbard has a right to free expression, too, right? So why do you mislead by stating that Hubbard is "trying to tell us what we can and can't say"? He is doing nothing of the sort. Rather, he is using his own statements and actions to comment on his head coach's decision.

Hubbard doesn't have to be placated, either. I would replace him.

As representatives of the school and team, don't the schools monitor and educate the players what not to put out onto social media? If they do the coach needs to be held to a higher standard.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
As representatives of the school and team, don't the schools monitor and educate the players what not to put out onto social media? If they do the coach needs to be held to a higher standard.
The coach himself didn't make the post to social media, is my understanding.

But nobody's stopping Chuba Hubbard from airing his opinions out on social media.

Hubbard doesn't have to be placated, either. I would replace him.
Ah... and that's the crux of it.

Hubbard was taking a risk by speaking out. You are right.... the OSU community and leadership, including coach Gundy, could say that Hubbard is wrong for speaking out like this. They could ignore it. They could move on from him as you suggest. But, my guess is that the leadership at OSU know full well that what Hubbard was saying is more in line with where we are at during this time in history. Twenty - even ten - years ago, he might have been shut up and quietly moved past, but in the current climate, Hubbard is speaking to where the country is and Gundy and OAN are living in a hateful past. I think this is why you see Gundy being so apologetic. He knows he's probably in the wrong and knows that if its a battle between him and the supporters of BLM on that team and on that campus, he will probably lose that one. For as ugly as it can be, that's kind of the way our system works. Politics and laws codify things, but the debate happens in the culture well before that.

Hubbard was taking a risk by speaking out. You are right.... the OSU community and leadership, including coach Gundy, could say that Hubbard is wrong for speaking out like this. They could ignore it. They could move on from him as you suggest. But, my guess is that the leadership at OSU know full well that what Hubbard was saying is more in line with where we are at during this time in history. Twenty - even ten - years ago, he might have been shut up and quietly moved past, but in the current climate, Hubbard is speaking to where the country is and Gundy and OAN are living in a hateful past. I think this is why you see Gundy being so apologetic. He knows he's probably in the wrong and knows that if its a battle between him and the supporters of BLM on that team and on that campus, he will probably lose that one. For as ugly as it can be, that's kind of the way our system works. Politics and laws codify things, but the debate happens in the culture well before that.

And this is how progress works. Well summarized.

Of course he has a right to do it and say it. I don’t think anyone is disputing that. It’s just kind of dumb (in my opinion) to determine whether you are willing to work for your employer / university based on their political views, except in extreme situations. I don’t think that wearing a t shirt for a news network while out on a fishing trip with his buddies that had nothing at all to do with Ok St football is sufficient grounds to justify raising a complaint and threatening not to play. It’s comical in my opinion. A sad reflection of the state of our society.

That would be like if a partner at my firm wore a Daily Kos t shirt on his or her own time (not even at a work event!) and then I was like nope not working at this firm anymore. Pretty dumb IMO.

The 1989 incident using the n word in practice is worse. I think it’s right that he should address that in some way. Granted it was 30 years ago but still should be addressed. And if Chuba isn’t happy with his explanation or doesn’t believe it, then that is a more justifiable reason to take his talents elsewhere.

Of course he has a right to do it and say it. I don’t think anyone is disputing that. It’s just kind of dumb (in my opinion) to determine whether you are willing to work for your employer / university based on their political views, except in extreme situations. I don’t think that wearing a t shirt for a news network while out on a fishing trip with his buddies that had nothing at all to do with Ok St football is sufficient grounds to justify raising a complaint and threatening not to play. It’s comical in my opinion. A sad reflection of the state of our society.

That would be like if a partner at my firm wore a Daily Kos t shirt on his or her own time (not even at a work event!) and then I was like nope not working at this firm anymore. Pretty dumb IMO.

The 1989 incident using the n word in practice is worse. I think it’s right that he should address that in some way. Granted it was 30 years ago but still should be addressed. And if Chuba isn’t happy with his explanation or doesn’t believe it, then that is a more justifiable reason to take his talents elsewhere.
Furthermore, if I had a problem with that person, I would go and speak with them directly to get their thoughts and discuss. Not post on social media about it. The call out nature of social media is bothersome to me.

I don't want to get drawn into this discussion and I don't really have a strong opinion about Gundy wearing the t-shirt on the fishing trip. I can see both sides and might even lean toward your view. I will say, though, that when you say things like "a sad reflection of the state of our society", I hope you acknowledge that what you see as an overreaction in this case is in response to a state of society that was much worse. For much of our history, being overtly racist, sexist or anti-gay was fine. Much of it was institutionalized. Truly sad. The pendulum will likely swing too far the other way for a while but I get why and it was permanently on one side for centuries.

Wearing a t-shirt from a racist station is just dumb and insensitive. Wonder how other black athletes feel about this? How about new recruits?

Reactions: PurpleFaze
Wearing a t-shirt from a racist station is just dumb and insensitive. Wonder how other black athletes feel about this? How about new recruits?
It's far-right and has trafficked in conspiracy theories, but I haven't seen much evidence that it is actually racist. I think people are throwing that word around a bit too casually.

OAN is available on DirecTV and AT&T streaming services. I don't think they would carry an outright racist network? The burden is on you for such an extraordinary claim.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT