ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy’s Wardrobe

Your argument is...what's the expression...piss poor, and strikes me as more political than well-reasoned. And here is why:

While it is undoubtedly true that Mike Gundy has the freedom to express whatsoever he chooses to--including on this clothing, his bumper stickers, at press conferences, etc--his actions do not exist in a bubble that is automatically free from rebuke.

No person has to placate him one bit.

So yes, he can wear an OAN T-Shirt and feign ignorance and shock--absolute SHOCK he tells us--at learning OAN's position on BLM (because, of course, they hide their viewpoints so well), but so too, is Hubbard empowered to speak out against this, or to refuse to play for him.

That, too, is expression. And it has every equal footing with Gundy's T-shirt selection.

I mean, you agree that Hubbard has a right to free expression, too, right? So why do you mislead by stating that Hubbard is "trying to tell us what we can and can't say"? He is doing nothing of the sort. Rather, he is using his own statements and actions to comment on his head coach's decision.

And that, dear FeralFelidae, is a most American thing to do.
If Hubbard decides to sit out, does OSU have the ability to pull his scholly? Just asking because I do not know the rules.

It’s just kind of dumb (in my opinion) to determine whether you are willing to work for your employer / university based on their political views, except in extreme situations.

Really? It seems completely rational and reasonable to me. I mean, I wouldn't be asking about it in a job interview or anything, I suppose, but I'd certainly try to educate myself on publicly-available information.

Yea, because 2,000 yard rushers are easily replaced. Especially when they’re in the moral right.
Errrhhhhhhfffffh. He’s not in the moral right. There is no moral high ground.

But for the sake of decency, respect and leadership, Gundy should ditch the shirt and show some empathy. You don’t have to be offensive to get a point across.

Errrhhhhhhfffffh. He’s not in the moral right. There is no moral high ground.

But for the sake of decency, respect and leadership, Gundy should ditch the shirt and show some empathy. You don’t have to be offensive to get a point across.
If they’re racist / in denial of BLM, then yes he is in the moral right. If they’re not racist then I concur.

If they’re racist / in denial of BLM, then yes he is in the moral right. If they’re not racist then I concur.
Well, that’s a slippery slope. According to some, simply being white makes me racist. It’s a label too easily applied.

I look at it this way: if a teammate or team member really has a problem with it, then as a leader it should not be a difficult decision to get rid of it. It doesn’t have to be racist or anti-Christian or whatever. If it causes a problem within the team, the coach should not need a Mensa card to know better.

Well, that’s a slippery slope. According to some, simply being white makes me racist. It’s a label too easily applied.

I look at it this way: if a teammate or team member really has a problem with it, then as a leader it should not be a difficult decision to get rid of it. It doesn’t have to be racist or anti-Christian or whatever. If it causes a problem within the team, the coach should not need a Mensa card to know better.
The allegations of racism apparently come from OANN’s treatment of the BLM campaign. Gundy now claims he was shocked by his discovery and swears he’s done with the network now. I don’t plan on expending another second nor thought about this situation - it sounds like OANN is a fake news network that doesn’t deserve the free publicity.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ed-by-oan-attitude-toward-black-lives-matter/

The allegations of racism apparently come from OANN’s treatment of the BLM campaign. Gundy now claims he was shocked by his discovery and swears he’s done with the network now. I don’t plan on expending another second nor thought about this situation - it sounds like OANN is a fake news network that doesn’t deserve the free publicity.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ed-by-oan-attitude-toward-black-lives-matter/
Hubbard brought more free publicity to OAN than Gundy could ever have hoped to.

Yes he did, but it certainly cost Gundy. It’s perhaps the most expensive t-shirt of all time.

His salary was reduced by $1M a year - his idea - and his buyout was lowered. Not that anyone will be looking to hire him away after this.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...nternal-investigation-reaches-conclusion/amp/
"Our internal review found that Coach Gundy needs to invest more time in building stronger relationships with his student-athletes. However, our review has uncovered no signs or indication of racism."

So the ostensible reason has nothing to do with racism.

This sounds like a COVID-19 pay cut (which other coaches like Harbaugh, Riley, and Pat Fitzgerald are taking) being repurposed for PR points.

^ It's a PR move - as recruiting is the lifeblood of a program.

Grundy very well knew of the views that OANN espoused.

Athletes (at least the stars on the revenue producing sports) are finally flexing the power that they have.

The rapid decision to change the flag in Mississippi was sparked when Mississippi St. star, Kylin Hill, stated that he wouldn't be representing the flag unless it was changed.

Now, the quick decision likely wasn't so much simply losing Hill, but what the sentiment would do for recruiting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT