ADVERTISEMENT

Mike McMullan

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
I watched his match against Iowa's Telford for the B1G title in 2015. The commentators estimated he weighed 230# and Telford 285#(I would guess Telford was pushing 300#+ on the last day of competition)

0-0 after Ist period. Telford gets a quick escape and a takedown for a 3-0 lead. McMullan escapes and then takes down Telford and rides him out 3-3 at the end of 2. McMullan escapes and tactically wrestles the last 90 seconds to secure the win.

McMullan was a great wrestler without a true weight class. He was dwarfed in size by most heavyweights. The gap between 197 and 285 was simply a no mans land for a wrestler like Mike McMullan.

I got to see him wrestle in person in his senior year at George Mason University. At the pre-match shake of hands , he was paired against the usual 285# opponent but when his match came up, GMU substituted a wrestler much closer to his size. His eyes opened up like saucers, since he had not seen anyone that small in a long time.

The match lasted less than 30 seconds. He may not have won the NCAAs but I still believe he was NU's best H'wt of all time

Reactions: loyolacat
I watched his match against Iowa's Telford for the B1G title in 2015. The commentators estimated he weighed 230# and Telford 285#(I would guess Telford was pushing 300#+ on the last day of competition)

0-0 after Ist period. Telford gets a quick escape and a takedown for a 3-0 lead. McMullan escapes and then takes down Telford and rides him out 3-3 at the end of 2. McMullan escapes and tactically wrestles the last 90 seconds to secure the win.

McMullan was a great wrestler without a true weight class. He was dwarfed in size by most heavyweights. The gap between 197 and 285 was simply a no mans land for a wrestler like Mike McMullan.

I got to see him wrestle in person in his senior year at George Mason University. At the pre-match shake of hands , he was paired against the usual 285# opponent but when his match came up, GMU substituted a wrestler much closer to his size. His eyes opened up like saucers, since he had not seen anyone that small in a long time.

The match lasted less than 30 seconds. He may not have won the NCAAs but I still believe he was NU's best H'wt of all time
Dustin Fox was a National Champ and also took third. We also had a two time NCAA Champ back in the 40's -60's. But I agree. Great wrestler who never took lower than third at ncaas'

I still don’t understand why the NCAA doesn’t have a weight class between 197 and 285. Always struck me as odd.

They cut the 118 pound class a while back too. I just hope we have wrestling! I mean,a,man can only take so much of the BTN reruns of the Ohio State vs Michigan football game of 1978!

Because all those guys are linebackers and tight ends. But I agree, they should add the weight class.
I doubt we have college wrestling this season. The winter presents all kinds of issues. It just seems unlikely we find a vaccine for the virus when we can't find one for the common flu!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT