ADVERTISEMENT

Mike

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
Getting blocked, egregiously missing tackles, multiple overruns. How is NU’s depth at that position?

Hard to believe there's not someone they can put in to see if they do better

I thought our stud freshman recruit this year was a LB. Wonder how close he is to playing?

#40 is Turk. He needs serious work.
Fitz' remarks during the bigten media day last month suggested that he actually thought we had a.chance to win the bigten and move up another step.

Not sure if he believes his own bs or is an awful judge of talent but we s%$# and maybe win 4 games if we can upset illinois and nebraska. Worst part is that I have to think we lose our better recruits.

Looks like hankwitz was the coach responsible for the 2 titles cuz fitz looks lost.

Fitz' remarks during the bigten media day last month suggested that he actually thought we had a.chance to win the bigten and move up another step.

Not sure if he believes his own bs or is an awful judge of talent but we s%$# and maybe win 4 games if we can upset illinois and nebraska. Worst part is that I have to think we lose our better recruits.

Looks like hankwitz was the coach responsible for the 2 titles cuz fitz looks lost.
We have a couple of gigantic holes to fill, notably LB. Big if....IF we can get even decent QB and LB play, we will be OK. Not great, but ok

We have a couple of gigantic holes to fill, notably LB. Big if....IF we can get even decent QB and LB play, we will be OK. Not great, but ok
Big thing is that there doesnt seem to be a leader other than Marty but unless he gets a medical redshirt he appears to be finished.
Sadly, Fitz lied again on the depth chart. Not sure why he plays games like that.

Big thing is that there doesnt seem to be a leader other than Marty but unless he gets a medical redshirt he appears to be finished.
Sadly, Fitz lied again on the depth chart. Not sure why he plays games like that.

Because there is no reason not to.

I posted on the issues at Linebacker last Sunday. It’s now apparent to everyone.
I didn't want to be the first to point fingers but am happy to pile on. Bergin will end up with some level of all B1G by default. He will have 300 tackles because none else will have many

I didn't want to be the first to point fingers but am happy to pile on. Bergin will end up with some level of all B1G by default. He will have 300 tackles because none else will have many
The West Lot Pirates seem to think LB is fine. They said issues are in the secondary.

The West Lot Pirates seem to think LB is fine. They said issues are in the secondary.

They blamed the secondary after the first game, but they've been hinting at the problems at LB while trying not to name names. I kinda wish they would just call these guys out.

For goodness gracious, stop with these ridiculous statements. Fitz is well aware of what needs to be done and has been for a good 15+ years.

I still think Fitz's stubborness is a two edged sword....and he always thinks the guys he has in will improve and develop....but the LB problem seems like a physical and mental problem...they look a step slow reading the play and then another step slow getting there and then issues tackling. ...has forced the the secondary to be a zone defense.....it was so great seeing us play a lot of man last year.

Reactions: drewjin
For goodness gracious, stop with these ridiculous statements. Fitz is well aware of what needs to be done and has been for a good 15+ years.
The only thing ridiculous is our awful defense. Not much on offense but the defense isn't even close.
We needed a good DC. Instead, Fitz did a Buddy-hire. Right or wrong?

Nebraska is 0-2 in the big. Even Illinois beat them. We are 10 pt dogs. Does Fitz know that?

Fans wanna know

Reactions: IGNORE2
I think he can get another year (if he wants it) MRS or not because of COVID. With MRS, he might get two. Again if he wants them

I still think Fitz's stubborness is a two edged sword....and he always thinks the guys he has in will improve and develop....but the LB problem seems like a physical and mental problem...they look a step slow reading the play and then another step slow getting there and then issues tackling. ...has forced the the secondary to be a zone defense.....it was so great seeing us play a lot of man last year.
They are new to the positions. We were spoiled by having 3 year starters in position last year. Still having to think first and that slows them down. That does not seem to be all but it is a huge part

The only thing ridiculous is our awful defense. Not much on offense but the defense isn't even close.
We needed a good DC. Instead, Fitz did a Buddy-hire. Right or wrong?

Nebraska is 0-2 in the big. Even Illinois beat them. We are 10 pt dogs. Does Fitz know that?

Fans wanna know
Sure, Fitz is so stupid he did a buddy hire? Fitz doesn't care about winning? Coaches don't give a rat's ass about point spreads nor the opinion of some supposed "fan."

Sure, Fitz is so stupid he did a buddy hire? Fitz doesn't care about winning? Coaches don't give a rat's ass about point spreads nor the opinion of some supposed "fan."
You are incorrect. Fitz isnt stupid. He was just clouded and bias in his buddy-hire. He simply didnt know Mr Oneil would be a complete disaster.
There is an old rule, never hire friends and buddies. Bad things happen. Bad things. We are double digit dogs to a team that has only won a couple bigten games since covid 19. Are we going to lose more defensive recruits or are the rest of our verbals going to honor their pledge?

Fans wanna know.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I think he can get another year (if he wants it) MRS or not because of COVID. With MRS, he might get two. Again if he wants them
I think we are doomed without Marty. If we keep getting baited to take leftover Llyod Abrahmson's like Hunter and Hilinski then we are doomed. Never take someones second or 3rd best. Bad things happen. Bad things.

When we hit the portal, lets take starters or not bother.

You are incorrect. Fitz isnt stupid. He was just clouded and bias in his buddy-hire. He simply didnt know Mr Oneil would be a complete disaster.
There is an old rule, never hire friends and buddies. Bad things happen. Bad things. We are double digit dogs to a team that has only won a couple bigten games since covid 19. Are we going to lose more defensive recruits or are the rest of our verbals going to honor their pledge?

Fans wanna know.
In this age of free agency and the transfer portal you never know what kids are going to do next. The kid we lost is from Maryland and they came in and offered over us. Home state school vs 700 mile trip. Has nothing to do with our defense.

In this age of free agency and the transfer portal you never know what kids are going to do next. The kid we lost is from Maryland and they came in and offered over us. Home state school vs 700 mile trip. Has nothing to do with our defense.
I hope you are correct. But i think its hard for recruits to vision themselves in a defense that leaves our players laying all over the field after arm tackles due to being a step slow as they read too much.

Oneil needs to give them cliff notes to read so they are quicker. Keep it simple.

If someone had told me at the start of the season that the two transfer DL's would be playing well, and Coco as well, I'd have thought we'd figure out the rest. I'm seeing articles, not comments from dweebs like us, that say things like 'they seem to have figured it out on D because they only gave up a garbage time TD in the last 6 quarters'. Maybe us dweebs cannot see the forest for the trees, but this seems like a drastic oversimplification. Ohio broke tackles and the receivers got open. Both INT's were weird tips. The Ohio QB missed some opportunities. This defense, particularly 2 of the LB positions, does not pass the eye test. (also the offense doesn't pass well, and we can't trust our 30 year old FG kicker). If "good Adrian" shows up Saturday, it will be a long day.

After watching Nebraska play ILL in week zero, I was LMAO and couldn't WAIT to play them. Meantime, they continue to lose to real competition, but seem to get better every week. Still finding Frost-esque ways to lose in hilarious fashion, but are we good enough to do the 2015-18 +2020 Cats version of hang around and win? Our defense has historically been sort of monolithic. Yeah Paddy might have 20 tackles and Joseph a couple of INTs, but we were pretty solid throughout. Maybe it's time for the real stars - Tomi, Joseph, Coco(?) to take over the game. Maybe Bergin can take the edge off Martinez mobility. I'm sort of dreading the game because it feels like we still aren't ready.

Reactions: Turk
We can kvetch all day about eye tests, win probabilities, and playing down to opponents. I don't disagree with the assertions about the issues we see on the field.

But the thing I love about NORTHWESTERN football is that you never know. You play to win the game. All the rest is wind in the trees.
FIFY. Over the years, the only thing predictable about this team is its unpredictability. As the comedian (not the linebackers) Gallagher once said about cats: 19 times in the litter box, once behind the couch.

If someone had told me at the start of the season that the two transfer DL's would be playing well, and Coco as well, I'd have thought we'd figure out the rest. I'm seeing articles, not comments from dweebs like us, that say things like 'they seem to have figured it out on D because they only gave up a garbage time TD in the last 6 quarters'. Maybe us dweebs cannot see the forest for the trees, but this seems like a drastic oversimplification. Ohio broke tackles and the receivers got open. Both INT's were weird tips. The Ohio QB missed some opportunities. This defense, particularly 2 of the LB positions, does not pass the eye test. (also the offense doesn't pass well, and we can't trust our 30 year old FG kicker). If "good Adrian" shows up Saturday, it will be a long day.

After watching Nebraska play ILL in week zero, I was LMAO and couldn't WAIT to play them. Meantime, they continue to lose to real competition, but seem to get better every week. Still finding Frost-esque ways to lose in hilarious fashion, but are we good enough to do the 2015-18 +2020 Cats version of hang around and win? Our defense has historically been sort of monolithic. Yeah Paddy might have 20 tackles and Joseph a couple of INTs, but we were pretty solid throughout. Maybe it's time for the real stars - Tomi, Joseph, Coco(?) to take over the game. Maybe Bergin can take the edge off Martinez mobility. I'm sort of dreading the game because it feels like we still aren't ready.
Ill take bad adrian and give 7

ADVERTISEMENT