ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Kopp is in the portal

Yeah, but I think this is the first time we had a multi-year starter, not to mention captain and leading scorer leave the team.

OTOH, we did have a precedent on the football side with Skorownek, and I don't think anybody would suggest that there's a problem with the broader program.
Kopp was not a captain. Kopp was not the leading scorer. So you got 1 out of 3 facts correct. Carry on!

If we're talking Northwestern related raps, I'm bringing Mo Greene's "Go U (NU Anthem)" to the table all day every day. All others, I'm talking all two or three ones, are just in a battle for second.

Mo Greene also may be the first to have taken on Chet Haze. Way ahead of the nation on that one.

Reactions: GatoLouco
If we're talking Northwestern related raps, I'm bringing Mo Greene's "Go U (NU Anthem)" to the table all day every day. All others, I'm talking all two or three ones, are just in a battle for second.

If we're discussing Northwestern related rap, I'll have to go with the intro song from the 1996 "Taking the Purple to Pasadena" video which I still have on VHS. It's kind of terrible but stuck in my head for the last 25 years.

"Purple pride, Purple Cats...."

Something happened to Kopp midway thru the season. He played out the string and played relatively poorly the 2nd half. My guess is he wanted out and this is not a decision made recently. Of course I'm guessing, but it seemed that way to me watching game after game - Kopp lost interest.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't reflect poorly on Collins is fooling himself (or herself).

There may be reasons why it seems right for the sons to draw together now. As pointed out by NUCat320, Maddox was highly-recruited elsewhere but signed with U of H's football program. Anderson's plans may be affected by the recent firing of the Lamar coach (Tic Price) who recruited him, but in any case, Lamar Univ is no more than 100 miles from home.

My guess is that due to family health factors or something similar, it's a good time for the Kopps to be closer together. It's likely that neither Miller nor Anderson seeks a pro career, and we in Cats fandom may just not recognize that some things can be more important than big time hoops, projected playing time, etc. Personal prediction: instead of a power basketball program, Miller may happily wind up at a close-to-home school like Rice, Houston Baptist, or even St Thomas (in Houston, not even a D-1 program).
Anderson is transferring to Kansas City to play for the Roos. Not exactly a move closer to home.......

Something happened to Kopp midway thru the season. He played out the string and played relatively poorly the 2nd half. My guess is he wanted out and this is not a decision made recently. Of course I'm guessing, but it seemed that way to me watching game after game - Kopp lost interest.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't reflect poorly on Collins is fooling himself (or herself).

Kid loses interest and we blame the coach? Okay. Gotcha. 🙄

Don't think it reflects poorly on Collins anymore than it does on Kopp.

I assume Coach Collins hasn’t commented on Miller’s entering the portal because he’s waiting for him to sign with someone else, and until then there may be a chance he will come back.

I assume Coach Collins hasn’t commented on Miller’s entering the portal because he’s waiting for him to sign with someone else, and until then there may be a chance he will come back.
I would suggest he hasn’t commented on it because no one has asked him about it. Schools typically don’t issue unsolicited statements when players enter the portal.

Anderson is transferring to Kansas City to play for the Roos. Not exactly a move closer to home.......

His brother's move doesn't necessarily reflect Miller's thinking, but you're right. K. C. is much farther from home than Beaumont.

This comes down to what’s important to Kopp.

He’s played a ton so playing time is obviously not the reason he’s transferring which means he’s probably tired of losing.

My guess is that he wants to go to a program that has an excellent chance of playing in the NCAA tournament, even if that means a reduced role from what he had at Northwestern.

This is what confuses me about many who post here...

Northwestern academically and reputationally is in the Top 10 of American universities. If you transfer out, especially when you are almost finished with your degree, it is (on paper) a really bad decision. Most guys would be looking to do the opposite if they could.

So, knowing that people don't intentionally undermine their futures like that, why would Kopp leave? There aren't that many logical explanations, but here are a few...

1) Broke up with a romantic interest and just can't stay in Evanston.
2) Can't stand the political/social environment at NU.
3) Can't stand the Evanston weather any more.
4) Hates playing basketball for Chris Collins.
5) Hates losing 10 consecutive games in each of the last 3 seasons.
6) Feels like he is needed back home.
7) Is doing very poorly academically.
8) Thinks he can play professionally and isn't making any progress toward that goal.
9) Has an expectation that he can transfer to a higher-regarded school than Northwestern.

Since I don't know Miller Kopp, I'm not certain, but I do know what I would tell him if I were his father and he complained about 1,2,3 or 6. (stay in school, get that NU diploma).

Despite the fact MK is the only really relevant player to transfer from a CC team, if the situation stays at MK + AG, we should still have a roster able to be competitive. Bubble worthy.

It will also mean that, IMO miraculously, CC has not lost the locker room.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Despite the fact MK is the only really relevant player to transfer from a CC team, if the situation stays at MK + AG, we should still have a roster able to be competitive. Bubble worthy.

It will also mean that, IMO miraculously, CC has not lost the locker room.

I think Rapolas Ivanauskas counts. Admittedly, he wasn't ever in the NU rotation, but obviously when your team goes 13-19, 4-16, you could have used the Patriot League Player of the Year that season.

My little insight on Ivanauskas... Someone I know would talk to Rapolas' father from time to time. The senior Ivanauskas once played professional basketball in Europe. The word I got from my friend was "he says Collins doesn't know anything. Can't stand him." Words to that effect. And then his kid transferred to Colgate.

As an NU guy, that was painful to hear in early 2018.

I think Rapolas Ivanauskas counts. Admittedly, he wasn't ever in the NU rotation, but obviously when your team goes 13-19, 4-16, you could have used the Patriot League Player of the Year that season.

My little insight on Ivanauskas... Someone I know would talk to Rapolas' father from time to time. The senior Ivanauskas once played professional basketball in Europe. The word I got from my friend was "he says Collins doesn't know anything. Can't stand him." Words to that effect. And then his kid transferred to Colgate.

As an NU guy, that was painful to hear in early 2018.
Don’t want to diminish that being POY in any league is impressive. But he’s more a “maybe” for me. Not that he’d not have helped us, for example, this last year if in a alternate reality he came back to NU instead of Cincy. But there’s a good chance he’d never have developed at NU.

Don’t want to diminish that being POY in any league is impressive. But he’s more a “maybe” for me. Not that he’d not have helped us, for example, this last year if in a alternate reality he came back to NU instead of Cincy. But there’s a good chance he’d never have developed at NU.
He fizzled out in Cincy and quit midway through the season.

Yeah, good chance he could not stand JB. But one more data point to not count him as a guy who would have thrived at NU.
Some people need a change of scenery to excel after going through what he went through at NU. Injuries suck.

1) Broke up with a romantic interest and just can't stay in Evanston.
2) Can't stand the political/social environment at NU.
3) Can't stand the Evanston weather any more.
4) Hates playing basketball for Chris Collins.
5) Hates losing 10 consecutive games in each of the last 3 seasons.
6) Feels like he is needed back home.
7) Is doing very poorly academically.
8) Thinks he can play professionally and isn't making any progress toward that goal.
9) Has an expectation that he can transfer to a higher-regarded school than Northwestern.

I don't doubt some of the above were factors, but it could just be that he was unhappy at NU. It happens. I'll root for him next year, no matter where he lands. I always root for the ex-NU players and coaches, even the ones some think are traitors (I hate Notre Dame football, but I was excited every time I heard Skow scored a touchdown this year). Kopp and Gaines did nothing to earn my ire anyway. Hope they do well.

• Love
Reactions: phatcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT