ADVERTISEMENT

Miller Kopp is in the portal

Hilariously, when you add Kopp to IU in Torvik’s model they actually get worse - slipping from 25 to 31.

9dbb5a1ce695705165fea007172119ea28f2c543.png

Damn. I can't say I'm rooting for his continued success ...

So Kopp had serious interest from Indiana, Oregon State and Utah...
And he picked the Big Ten team.
One of the teams that we were as good as, but finished behind...

I looked to see if Kopp had graduated from NU, but it doesn't appear to be the case. That suggests he is trading down (significantly) degree-wise... Let me know if I have that wrong...

"Coach Woodson sees my potential as a versatile player and he has a plan for my development," Kopp said.

Are we sure he didn't leave because of his perceived coaching issues at NU?

So Kopp had serious interest from Indiana, Oregon State and Utah...
And he picked the Big Ten team.
One of the teams that we were as good as, but finished behind...

I looked to see if Kopp had graduated from NU, but it doesn't appear to be the case. That suggests he is trading down (significantly) degree-wise... Let me know if I have that wrong...

"Coach Woodson sees my potential as a versatile player and he has a plan for my development," Kopp said.

Are we sure he didn't leave because of his perceived coaching issues at NU?
He picked Indiana from a list of offers that included Oregon State, Texas A&M, Utah, USC, Creighton, South Carolina, New Mexico, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Wichita State, DePaul, Oklahoma State and Xavier.

Yet so many here wondered if he was a capable player. Go figure.

He committed to Indiana. First in-conference transfer since...Ben Johnson?
No way to sugarcoat this one. He picked an academically weaker school in the same conference, just as far from home, who isn't necessarily a sure thing to even make the tournament next year. It's pretty clear there is something he didn't like about NU.

The only good news from all this is that now he can go miss all those open three-pointers for the Hoosiers.

(Ok.... that was a cheap shot out of bitterness.)

No way to sugarcoat this one. He picked an academically weaker school in the same conference, just as far from home, who isn't necessarily a sure thing to even make the tournament next year. It's pretty clear there is something he didn't like about NU.

The only good news from all this is that now he can go miss all those open three-pointers for the Hoosiers.

You already know he’s going to hit six or seven against us. For a split second I was going to suggest Gaines could tail him for the entire game ...

In all seriousness, if anyone had that list of options for your final season versus another basement year at NU, they’d hit the road too.

He may get some open 3 pointers now

I hold no ill will against any of these kids.

That said, I hope he suffers a catastrophic Achilles injury and misses the final two-thirds of his final season, before completing an inspiring comeback that takes him from Australia (with Vic!) to the G-League to an NBA sharpshooting career.

(I just realized he gets two seasons at IU, right? I hope he blows out his right one in December, and his left one 14 months later, and then does the inspiring stuff.)

Man IU sucks so bad.

You already know he’s going to hit six or seven against us. For a split second I was going to suggest Gaines could tail him for the entire game ...

In all seriousness, if anyone had that list of options for your final season versus another basement year at NU, they’d hit the road too.

We don't have to be a basement team.
We were better than our record last season.
Somehow Kopp was worse as a junior than he was as a sophomore.
Yet, there was apparently a ton of interest in him when he decided to leave NU.
That tells me that it was common knowledge that the coach in Evanston was not getting much out of one of his better players.

I imagine this conversation between Miller Kopp and his father...
"Dad, I think I want to transfer"
"Miller, are you serious? That Northwestern degree gives you a lot to fall back on..."
"Dad, I think I can play in the NBA... Or at least Europe somewhere... and I'm losing my mind up there"
Father, holding back the voices screaming inside his brain...
"Okay son, if you think it will help you reach your dream..."

As CSC would say, check The Rock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT