ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Has No Quarterback

Argue the Exception for the win! HYPPR!

I don't know, it's a relevant question to answer in a story like this. The news is that he's the starting QB; the hook is that he's a walk-on true freshman; the logical question for people who aren't superfans is whether it's happened before; and the best part of the story is that the kid turned down Illinois' scholarship offer to row the boat for Fleck as a PWO.

I don't know, it's a relevant question to answer in a story like this. The news is that he's the starting QB; the hook is that he's a walk-on true freshman; the logical question for people who aren't superfans is whether it's happened before; and the best part of the story is that the kid turned down Illinois' scholarship offer to row the boat for Fleck as a PWO.

There’s a reason only one example can be cited.

The only B1G schools I cannot stand in any way, shape or form are PSU (absolutely hate Franklin) and UM. I used to hate Illinois but now they're so irrelevant I don't even care about them. They're a minor perturbance at best.

Wisconsin is the only team I actively root for outside of NU because they're tough, nasty and old school. Huge meathead comment there, but I love their style of play

Reactions: No Chores
“Hate, hate, hate the Iowa-and-bes.”

“I hate Michigan. I grew up there.”

George Orwell, who wrote of the two-minute hate session in 1984, would delight in this thread.

I hate Notre Dame. I went to a Chicago area Catholic high school where everyone was a subway alum. It was annoying. I love to watch Notre Dame lose. I was elated when Jack Mitchell kicked the game winning FG in OT and their fans cried tears of unfathomable sadness. It was delicious.

The image of their fans so deprived of happiness at 8:45.

MR cat made some big plays that day.

So what? The example cited was the first pick in the NFL draft! Boy you can be tough to take.

...and you’re just continuing to argue the exception. You give me one walk-on freshman starting QB who worked out well, I’ll give you thousands upon thousands of walk-on freshman QBs who didn’t see the field.

...and you’re just continuing to argue the exception. You give me one walk-on freshman starting QB who worked out well, I’ll give you thousands upon thousands of walk-on freshman QBs who didn’t see the field.
Listen carefully: So what? Arguing the exception is not some sort of sin, as you apparently believe. Your b.s. is really tough to stomach. Now you may have the last word.

Reactions: DaCat and StreamCat
There’s a reason only one example can be cited.

Which, as a matter of reporting a story, makes it all the more relevant piece of trivia to mention who it was. The story didn't argue that this meant Annexstad is on the same track.

Just like another thread on this site the other night asked how common a walk-off balk in extra innings is (it's not!), so too is it reasonable to assume readers will ask if a freshman walk-on has ever started an opener.

Or, at the very least, appreciate the setup I wrote to make fun of Illinois.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Listen carefully: So what? Arguing the exception is not some sort of sin, as you apparently believe. Your b.s. is really tough to stomach. Now you may have the last word.
It's not a sin, but it's like a really bad argument...

GCG loves hating Minnesota. MikeWebb loves hating the Illini. Ecat hates the Schmuckyes. who are the other posters who are the most schadenfreude-y for other programs?
In terms of schadenfreude, its Tennessee. In terms of visceral emotion, Nebraska. I have become convinced that I will never get over the abuse I and my family took from their fans at the 2000 Alamo Bowl. The worst experience that I personally have ever had at a football game. And I go to SEC games regularly.

In terms of schadenfreude, its Tennessee. In terms of visceral emotion, Nebraska. I have become convinced that I will never get over the abuse I and my family took from their fans at the 2000 Alamo Bowl. The worst experience that I personally have ever had at a football game. And I go to SEC games regularly.
My wife and I were there as well and had the same experience,

Listen carefully: So what? Arguing the exception is not some sort of sin, as you apparently believe. Your b.s. is really tough to stomach. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Fixed it for you. :D

I didn't have any bad experiences with Nebby fans, but their team abused the hell out of us.
That did not help either. ;)

But I went to school from 78 to 82 so I have a thick skin regarding on-the-field results (although I still have the sound of that damn loudspeaker saying "And that's another Alamo Bowl record!" over and over ringing through my memory). I have heard since that Nebraska fans are very decent and treat visitors well. I do not know what happened at that game but they were miserable.

That did not help either. ;)

But I went to school from 78 to 82 so I have a thick skin regarding on-the-field results (although I still have the sound of that damn loudspeaker saying "And that's another Alamo Bowl record!" over and over ringing through my memory). I have heard since that Nebraska fans are very decent and treat visitors well. I do not know what happened at that game but they were miserable.
I was pretty young at the time but definitely recall that game. Don’t remember any issues with the Neb fans (they might have been pissed about their bowl selection given they were in national championship contention a few weeks before), just issues w the on field outcome. Aside from a couple long runs by Damien our offense got absolutely abused by their defensive front. And our D didn’t do any better. Mercifully we left late in the 3rd, something my father and I (and rest of family) have almost never done, to head home and and enjoy a stroll along the Riverwalk. I do recall seeing the (double?) reverse pass in the TV through the window of a bar, which did not endear me to Frank Solich one bit.

Oh well, still a fun trip, I’ve enjoyed San Antonio for our two visits there.

(PS MRCat your comment on the ND game made me laugh out loud)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT