ADVERTISEMENT

Monetizing Walker Terrace...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
From the email:
For select games, we would like to offer the space to individuals rather than holding the space exclusively for groups. For an all-inclusive price, guests would receive access to the Randy Walker Terrace / Wilson Club, food and beverage (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and a game ticket. Before we make anything available to the general public, we would first offer the space to Season Ticket Holders at a reduced price that would not include a game ticket.

From the survey:
Access to the Randy Walker Terrace / Wilson Club for Season Ticket Holders would be an estimated $100 per guest for non-conference games and the Illinois game, and $150 per guest for the Ohio State game. The per-guest rate would not include game tickets for Season Ticket Holders, and all guests must have a game ticket to access the Randy Walker Terrace / Wilson Club.

So I guess the question is...how many drinks can I consume during a football game for ~$100/150? And honestly...why isn't Purdue/Ross-Ade Stadium the preferred model here, where the end zone is just a cool beer garden open to *all* STHs and select fans?

I admit: I've been living in a fantasy world for a while, thinking Northwestern is somehow about it all, but the whole monetization of things like this, and picturing a meeting between Gragg and all his lackeys about, "how else can we be making money on this place?" just makes me feel gross.

Reactions: Bwm57
From the email:
For select games, we would like to offer the space to individuals rather than holding the space exclusively for groups. For an all-inclusive price, guests would receive access to the Randy Walker Terrace / Wilson Club, food and beverage (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and a game ticket. Before we make anything available to the general public, we would first offer the space to Season Ticket Holders at a reduced price that would not include a game ticket.

From the survey:
Access to the Randy Walker Terrace / Wilson Club for Season Ticket Holders would be an estimated $100 per guest for non-conference games and the Illinois game, and $150 per guest for the Ohio State game. The per-guest rate would not include game tickets for Season Ticket Holders, and all guests must have a game ticket to access the Randy Walker Terrace / Wilson Club.

So I guess the question is...how many drinks can I consume during a football game for ~$100/150? And honestly...why isn't Purdue/Ross-Ade Stadium the preferred model here, where the end zone is just a cool beer garden open to *all* STHs and select fans?

I admit: I've been living in a fantasy world for a while, thinking Northwestern is somehow about it all, but the whole monetization of things like this, and picturing a meeting between Gragg and all his lackeys about, "how else can we be making money on this place?" just makes me feel gross.
The Ricketts family must have been hired as consultants by the NU Athletic Dep't.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Many years ago, when we still had a Spring Game, the Terrace was open, offered beer and was well attended by active Board members, including the late-lamented flagonthefield. For me, it was a great part of the Spring Game weekend.

Reactions: ubercat
I wish they would concentrate on offering alcohol and upgraded food options to the people in the stands (and I told them such in the survey).

I made reference to the setup at Ross-Ade Stadium in my opening post - it's been a few years since I've gone (so if anyone can confirm/clarify details, please do...) but as I recall the beer garden in the end zone was open only to season ticket holders (I remember this because some fans gave me their tickets for entry just to be nice), and I thiiiiiinnnnk consumption was restricted to the beer garden as well.

I thought it was a very good model - gave an extra benefit and measure of exclusivity to season ticket holders, and ensured the drunks weren't spilled into the general stadium space.

I totally acknowledge there could be liquor license issues, or Evanston issues (buuuuutt...we're already selling beer in the parking lot)...I just don't understand this strategy of going high-brow to engage a smaller number of people.

From the email:

From the survey:

Why in god's name would anyone want to watch a game from Walker terrace? It is the end zone, only worse. Yet another example of bonkers NU marketing. Nice place to have a dinner dance under the stars after the game, however, if you enjoy dancing after a loss. I never have. They've got it backwards. GET THE WIN, GOD DAMN IT should be the new mantra, replacing EXPECT VICTORY, which has proven pretty much ineffective..

I made reference to the setup at Ross-Ade Stadium in my opening post - it's been a few years since I've gone (so if anyone can confirm/clarify details, please do...) but as I recall the beer garden in the end zone was open only to season ticket holders (I remember this because some fans gave me their tickets for entry just to be nice), and I thiiiiiinnnnk consumption was restricted to the beer garden as well.

I thought it was a very good model - gave an extra benefit and measure of exclusivity to season ticket holders, and ensured the drunks weren't spilled into the general stadium space.

I totally acknowledge there could be liquor license issues, or Evanston issues (buuuuutt...we're already selling beer in the parking lot)...I just don't understand this strategy of going high-brow to engage a smaller number of people.
I went to the season opener night game in Purdue a few years back. There was plenty of beer in the concourse for anyone with cash.

I was at that NU-PU opener in ‘18 too. A great and hot night to start the football season. Plenty of beer, not just in the SEZ of R-A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT