ADVERTISEMENT

More lineup data fun

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
I continue to look for the silveriest of linings as this season slogs on, so here's today's tidbits. CCC has played 15 different lineups for at least 4 minutes. Only 6 of these lineups have a positive +/-. Those lineups are:

Mac/Lindsey/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+24)
Mac/Ash/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+5)
Mac/Brown/Lindsey/Falzon/Pardon (+7)
Brown/Lindsey/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+1)
Mac/Lindsey/Gaines/Falzon/Pardon (+13)
Brown/Gaines/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+4)

Notice which two players appear in every lineup? Falzon and Pardon. Now, granted, Pardon is in 14 of these 15 lineups, but Falzon is very clearly making a big difference being on the court, though he's only receiving 39% of minutes. I hope he continues to gain strength so he can stay out on the court longer each game.

The biggest problem by far though continues to be the inability of the bench to provide any production. Prior to the final 3:30 of garbage time against IU:

Ash -13 (NU 8, IU 21) in 12:30
Skelly -22 (NU 6, IU 28) in 16:00
Benson -7 (NU 2, IU 9) in 4:00
Gaines -28! (NU 2, IU 30!!) in 11:00
Brown -3 (NU 0, IU 3) in 0:45

The starting lineup was +4 in 14:45 of action, every other lineup was a combined -33 until garbage time. We're not gonna win many games if this is what we're getting.

Reactions: NUCat320
The starting lineup was +4 in 14:45 of action, every other lineup was a combined -33 until garbage time. We're not gonna win many games if this is what we're getting.

Really surprised how our bench has been so bad this year. Could it be that we miss Taphorn even more that expected?

I continue to look for the silveriest of linings as this season slogs on, so here's today's tidbits. CCC has played 15 different lineups for at least 4 minutes. Only 6 of these lineups have a positive +/-. Those lineups are:

Mac/Lindsey/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+24)
Mac/Ash/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+5)
Mac/Brown/Lindsey/Falzon/Pardon (+7)
Brown/Lindsey/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+1)
Mac/Lindsey/Gaines/Falzon/Pardon (+13)
Brown/Gaines/Law/Falzon/Pardon (+4)

Notice which two players appear in every lineup? Falzon and Pardon. Now, granted, Pardon is in 14 of these 15 lineups, but Falzon is very clearly making a big difference being on the court, though he's only receiving 39% of minutes. I hope he continues to gain strength so he can stay out on the court longer each game.

The biggest problem by far though continues to be the inability of the bench to provide any production. Prior to the final 3:30 of garbage time against IU:

Ash -13 (NU 8, IU 21) in 12:30
Skelly -22 (NU 6, IU 28) in 16:00
Benson -7 (NU 2, IU 9) in 4:00
Gaines -28! (NU 2, IU 30!!) in 11:00
Brown -3 (NU 0, IU 3) in 0:45

The problem is, Falzon is clearly playing in pain, imo, Collins left him a bit long in the Minny game and he responded by committing back-to-back 'I need a blow" fouls in 15 seconds. And Skelly coming in for him has been fairly disastrous in most games, far less of a dropoff than Benson for Pardon. Rap would have been the other sub for Falzon, but no dice there obv. So, unfortunately we are left with a) hoping Skelly improves, or b) going small with Brown for Falzon, which then presumably kills us on the boards. So not an easy problem to solve.

The problem is, Falzon is clearly playing in pain, imo, Collins left him a bit long in the Minny game and he responded by committing back-to-back 'I need a blow" fouls in 15 seconds. And Skelly coming in for him has been fairly disastrous in most games, far less of a dropoff than Benson for Pardon. Rap would have been the other sub for Falzon, but no dice there obv. So, unfortunately we are left with a) hoping Skelly improves, or b) going small with Brown for Falzon, which then presumably kills us on the boards. So not an easy problem to solve.
Definitely true, we are completely screwed when both Falzon and Skelly are not playing the 4. In the 16% of minutes where we've been in this situation, the team is a whopping -36, 0.84/1.40 PPP split (the team is -28 through 6 B1G games). We can survive defensively with Skelly when Pardon is in the game, but we haven't been scoring enough.

No one here seems to know what Brown did to get buried on the bench, but he has to play more ... even with the huge cost on defense. This has turned into a developmental season, and Brown needs the minutes.

I want to see Brown for at least 20 minutes today instead of Lindsey. Personally,I would not start Lindsey. I would start Gaines, Falzon, Brown, Skelly,or Ash instead.

No one here seems to know what Brown did to get buried on the bench, but he has to play more ... even with the huge cost on defense. This has turned into a developmental season, and Brown needs the minutes.
Agree they certainly need his scoring and ditto for Falzon. Play him until he asks out. definitely less of Skelly and Ash. Also maybe a bit more of Gaines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT