ADVERTISEMENT

Most crushing loss since MSU 2020

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
I am still irate at the fumble overturn, the lack of running by Mike Wright when he had big run lanes, the insanely bad play calling by Lujan, Jack Olson being so god damn inconsistent despite acting like he’s elite… this feels like a loss that will certainly keep us out of a bowl. Likely 5-7. Absolutely brutal. I might need to go to one of those “wreck rooms” to break some stuff.

It's still a very young year, and a lot of our problems on offense do feel fixable (with better decision making/playcalling), so I'm not ready to write off the whole year yet.

We've had a lot of years past where the offense takes a while to get going, and without an experience QB at the helm like CT, Ramsey, or Bryant, it's difficult to make the offense work.

The good news is that the defense and special teams look great.

I'd call like 4 of our losses to Duke bad losses out of the past 6 losses, but we've also made bowl games in 3 of the 5 years where we lost to Duke. So I'm not sure yet how crushing this is. We've had much worse losses in the past 10 years.

Still think we can get to a bowl game, maybe even at 5-7, but I'd like to see Lausch play a bit of the game against EIU.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Who are we going to beat with this QB? That’s what it comes down to. EIU fine. But then what? @Wash? Vs Indiana? At Purdue? Vs Illinois? Those are the only games we MIGHT win. The rest will feel like 2021 (not 2022, obviously). Hope I’m wrong but that loss crushed any optimism I had. We haven’t had stability at QB for multiple years since 2015-2018.

Who are we going to beat with this QB? That’s what it comes down to. EIU fine. But then what? @Wash? Vs Indiana? At Purdue? Vs Illinois? Those are the only games we MIGHT win. The rest will feel like 2021 (not 2022, obviously). Hope I’m wrong but that loss crushed any optimism I had. We haven’t had stability at QB for multiple years since 2015-2018.
We run a lot more, not just Porter but also designed QB runs.

And we still have to see what Lausch can do against EIU. Might not be better, but hard to believe he can't give us anything.

I feel like a big part of the problem is Lujan just feeling out and trying to figure out what works with this team. There are things that work that we probably have to emphasize more of...

We run a lot more, not just Porter but also designed QB runs.

And we still have to see what Lausch can do against EIU. Might not be better, but hard to believe he can't give us anything.

I feel like a big part of the problem is Lujan just feeling out and trying to figure out what works with this team. There are things that work that we probably have to emphasize more of...
Wright isn’t that great a runner. He takes a while to get up to speed. Plus, yesterday he looked scared to run. Not a good combo. Lausch might suck but I know he can’t be worse.

Watch out. Indiana scored 400 points yesterday.

Watch out. Indiana scored 400 points yesterday.
Western Illinois is horrendous but yes IU will be tough. We have no easily winnable games except maybe EIU but after yesterday I’m not sure we can score enough.

Western Illinois is horrendous but yes IU will be tough. We have no easily winnable games except maybe EIU but after yesterday I’m not sure we can score enough.
If we can't beat EIU, we are in a world of hurt. 1-11 would be the likely outcome, as probably a change at QB.

Wright isn’t that great a runner. He takes a while to get up to speed. Plus, yesterday he looked scared to run. Not a good combo. Lausch might suck but I know he can’t be worse.

Wright is a good runner. Just indecisive last night.

I am still irate at the fumble overturn, the lack of running by Mike Wright when he had big run lanes, the insanely bad play calling by Lujan, Jack Olson being so god damn inconsistent despite acting like he’s elite… this feels like a loss that will certainly keep us out of a bowl. Likely 5-7. Absolutely brutal. I might need to go to one of those “wreck rooms” to break some stuff.
My kids throw temper tantrums too sometimes.

Calm down. There are 10 games left and now we get to see what Lausch can do. Hiyah!

Reactions: usopen30
Wright is a good runner. Just indecisive last night.
A big problem fro Wright seems to be the snap of the ball. He (wright) looks very tentative back there receiving the snap. Several bad snaps close to the ground but even with the ones that are at the right level he is having to focus so much that it takes an extra second for him to getting into the actual play. That could be making it a lot harder for him to be successful

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT