ADVERTISEMENT

Most satisfying game I can remember...

The Gaz strip sack and McGee fumble return has to be one of the three. Utah was on the verge of scoring and making it a 27-10 game instead Gaz made it a 20-17 game. Key play of the game.
I'll say! I cannot believe Gaz does that seemingly all the time! Gaz is worth his weight in gold! You can tell the team had fun. McGowan got screwed on the best catch of the game. We lost with some good players sidelined! Mayo was all over the field!

Crazy awesome game

Coach Walker said you gotta kill us to beat us
Actually Coach Walker said “make them take one more snap.” That’s how we started the comeback against Minny in 2000 when Napo Harris made a TD saving tackle and they ended up missing a FG.

The stand before halftime might have been that one more snap moment that left the door open. If Utah scores a TD there it’s 24-3 and they get the ball after half - I think that would’ve been a bigger obstacle to overcome even though we beat them by more than that margin.

The goal line stand right before halftime was also a key sequence that set the tone for the second half. When some of the usual chicken littles on this board were already proclaiming we were down 24-3, our defense didn't give up and held them to 3 points. That 4 point swing was big.

The goal line stand right before halftime was also a key sequence that set the tone for the second half. When some of the usual chicken littles on this board were already proclaiming we were down 24-3, our defense didn't give up and held them to 3 points. That 4 point swing was big.
In almost every big Wildcat win I can remember, especially the bowl games, NU has a big stop or two in short yardage, especially on the goal line. Today was no exception.

You have to add the Trey Klock TD pass to the list. What a great lifetime memory for Trey in his last college football game. I think McCall must have borrowed some plays from Matt Nagy and the Chicago Bears on that play.

You have to add the Trey Klock TD pass to the list. What a great lifetime memory for Trey in his last college football game. I think McCall must have borrowed some plays from Matt Nagy and the Chicago Bears on that play.
I know we’ve run that play before, but I can’t place it.

I'll say! I cannot believe Gaz does that seemingly all the time! Gaz is worth his weight in gold! You can tell the team had fun. McGowan got screwed on the best catch of the game. We lost with some good players sidelined! Mayo was all over the field!

NU fans in the stadium went NUTS on the Big 12 refs for that call. Was total BS.

Reactions: rmndcat
That play had some really funny moments, like J.B. Butler waving his arms ("I'm open!") as if the ball might come his way, to the pinball machine moves of Klock, to #1 on Utah just sort of putting his hand on the shoulder of Klock as he went into the end zone. Nope, not interested in trying to tackle THAT guy.

Actually Coach Walker said “make them take one more snap.” That’s how we started the comeback against Minny in 2000 when Napo Harris made a TD saving tackle and they ended up missing a FG.
I remember “make ‘em snap it again”, but it’s definitely something that’s stayed with me.

You never know what might happen next.

That goal-line stand at the end of the half - with the PI mixed in - was absolutely huge.

I'm really looking forward to rewatching this game. Over and over.
Already rewatched once; not sure I'll make it through the week before rewatching it another time or two. That game was a rollercoaster; of course, the second time around knowing the result makes the first half much easier on the eyes.

Reactions: DaCat
3 of my favorite all time plays occurred in that game!

Congrats, seniors!

I think for me taking a trip to Evanston in '95 and watching you guys beat Penn State will always be the one for me, MR. That game provided proof that NU could be competitive again after years of being totally irrelevant. And I was sitting in the UPPER DECK. Remembering the dismal atmosphere in '69, I couldn't even believe they actually had to open the upper deck. Last night's game was a great victory, though, and will certainly be up among the list of big ones I've witnessed. We're certainly no Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State on the football field, and might or might not ever be, but just think of all the great games we've witnessed NU play in since '95. Even some of the losses, like the Fitz go-for-two in the bowl game against Auburn. I'd love to see us win every game, but when you follow a team that struggles at times I think the high points are all the sweeter.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I think for me taking a trip to Evanston in '95 and watching you guys beat Penn State will always be the one for me, MR. That game provided proof that NU could be competitive again after years of being totally irrelevant. And I was sitting in the UPPER DECK. Remembering the dismal atmosphere in '69, I couldn't even believe they actually had to open the upper deck. Last night's game was a great victory, though, and will certainly be up among the list of big ones I've witnessed. We're certainly no Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State on the football field, and might or might not ever be, but just think of all the great games we've witnessed NU play in since '95. Even some of the losses, like the Fitz go-for-two in the bowl game against Auburn. I'd love to see us win every game, but when you follow a team that struggles at times I think the high points are all the sweeter.

That Penn State game was the last game I saw in Evanston and it was awesome. Been to a few games on the east coast since and catch every game either via tv or WGN radio.

Reactions: NUCat320
Same play. Thanks for finding it.

Utah actually defended it well - Klock made like a tight end in traffic.

(Illinois did not defend it well - Jorgensen had a five-yard radius.)
It was much better to execute it in a game where it meant something.
And clearly Utah’s DC didn’t go back far enough in his game film research

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT