ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Wisconsin

Idaho was just to far/remote from family. I drove over this weekend. Already had two people say "Ope!" To me.

I can finally go to more than a couple of Cats games
3 time zones in 3 years. Congrats.

I'll be working up near Fond du Lac but will live in North suburbs of Milwaukee. If the housing market crash doesn't prevent the Idaho sale

Nice. My family is all from the Milwaukee, Waupaca and Appleton areas, not far from Fond du Lac.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'll be working up near Fond du Lac but will live in North suburbs of Milwaukee. If the housing market crash doesn't prevent the Idaho sale
That's a long commute. Where on the North shore--I grew up there, marching our way north from Whitefish Bay? Cedarburg, maybe, but it's still a commute. None the less, a beautiful part of Wisconsin, even if solidly conservative (not a good look these days).

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
That's a long commute. Where on the North shore--I grew up there, marching our way north from Whitefish Bay? Cedarburg, maybe, but it's still a commute. None the less, a beautiful part of Wisconsin, even if solidly conservative (not a good look these days).
Not the shore, closer to 41 so the commute is easier. Still looking. Maybe Jackson. Not a lot of housing inventory atm

Not the shore, closer to 41 so the commute is easier. Still looking. Maybe Jackson. Not a lot of housing inventory atm
With the housing market in free-fall you ought to be able to negotiate a good price if you find something. Hopefully, you won't need financing and the commute won't be too far. Good luck!

Jackson is a commute, if you are officing downtown. Perhaps you want to be more in the country. Mequon is now pretty built up--it was farm country when I lived there ass a teenager, with only a few developments--and likely expensive, although there are smaller houses, depending on what you are looking for. I know a former realtor in Mequon who knows the territory, if you want to PM me, I can give you her contact info..

C'mon Phat. I drove back to Chicago from Spearfish yesterday. It only took 15 hours to cover the 950 miles.
Say hello to the Larscheid family for me!

Update: Slade is in an associate AD at SDSU…and stayed at NU for a Master’s in Sports Administration…and is the only Wildcat kicker I remember to have kicked an XP off his lineman’s rear end (possibly an exaggeration).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Interstate 90 all they way. What, did you have to pee a lot?
Should have been about 14. I took the alternate route through northeastern Iowa through Dubuque and Galena, as I wanted to check out the terrain in the northwestern part of IL. Thanks to Illinois' crappy single lane highway, that took some time.

My trip out was a bit quicker, but I got caught in that horrendous storm about 30 miles west of Sioux Falls last Tuesday. The sky went black, the rain came down in sheets, and the winds prolly hit 80 mph. The RAV was shaking on the side of road for a good 20 minutes. I thought the Apocalypse had come.

When things slowed down, I encounter a trailer camper on its side about a half mile ahead. Thankfully I jumped off and took a side road all the way to Mitchell.

Should have been about 14. I took the alternate route through northeastern Iowa through Dubuque and Galena, as I wanted to check out the terrain in the northwestern part of IL. Thanks to Illinois' crappy single lane highway, that took some time.

My trip out was a bit quicker, but I got caught in that horrendous storm about 30 miles west of Sioux Falls last Tuesday. The sky went black, the rain came down in sheets, and the winds prolly hit 80 mph. The RAV was shaking on the side of road for a good 20 minutes. I thought the Apocalypse had come.

When things slowed down, I encounter a trailer camper on its side about a half mile ahead. Thankfully I jumped off and took a side road all the way to Mitchell.
It rains like that often along 90 in SD. One time, near Chamberlain heading west, the sky darkened ahead, and in a little while, I say what looked like a dark wall. It was cloudy and bright on my side. I then entered through this curtain of water., completely dry on one side and a torrent like you describe on the other. It must have to do with the land being so flat.

LOL. I thought you meant that for me after my near death experience on the barren plains of South Dakota!
Nope! I wouldn't be a good upper midwesterner if I didn't take the opportunity to needle Sconnies for being (mostly amiable) drunks!

Holy geez.

82% of the 50 drunkest counties are in Wisconsin.

I knew it was extreme, but…
Like I said, Wisconsin is a helluva fun place to visit and maybe go to a wedding, a minor league baseball game, or a family reunion of some kind.

My personal favorite Wisconsin stat is that not only does Wisconsin drink the most brandy of any state in the country, they drink more brandy than the other 49 states COMBINED. That's not per capita, that's raw totals. THese people are serious, serious consumers.

Like I said, Wisconsin is a helluva fun place to visit and maybe go to a wedding, a minor league baseball game, or a family reunion of some kind.

My personal favorite Wisconsin stat is that not only does Wisconsin drink the most brandy of any state in the country, they drink more brandy than the other 49 states COMBINED. That's not per capita, that's raw totals. THese people are serious, serious consumers.
“Round of Old Fashioneds, please.”

Be safe, @phatcat!

True story..

A good friend of mine who grew up in Wisconsin remarked as follows when he went into his first Chicago liquor store..

"I didn't know Korbel also made champagne"

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT