ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Phillips--You Have Major Problems

catfans5

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2011
I was at the game and the attendance was terrible. I think there will also plenty missing in action for the next two home games. I will not even touch what happened last night in basketball and the problems there. Basketball will be filled with other teams' fans. I am not alum, but have had tickets for football since 1996 and basketball since 2005. On both fronts, NU will lose fans like me, especially with the way fans are treated by NU. The west lot had 60% occupancy today, but the golf course lots were well attended. Further, PF's dismissive attitude does not help at all. Fans like myself who go to the games and tailgate can spend their money and time elsewhere, like a one week vacation in Caribbean. When we leave, we will not return.

On the football, I keep hearing that the players need to make plays or need to execute. Obviously, the more talented athlete has a better chance to make play. However, I think good recruiting, coaching, training and development, like in any other profession or jobs that we do every day, will increase the likelihood of better execution. The coaches in basketball and football selected the players under the academic limitations that they understood, trained and coached them. The ineptitude in both sports lies only in one place: the head coach. This is how it works in the real world. When my associate failed to execute, it was not his or her fault, it was mine. Too many failure to execute led to loss of business. The excuses given for millionaires, Fitz and Collins, on this board is beyond belief. The ineptitude on offense and special teams has been present for years, but Mike Hankwitz bailed both out for years. This is a chronic problem. Phillips better fix it or the empty stadium will again be the norm,

I was at the game and the attendance was terrible. I think there will also plenty missing in action for the next two home games. I will not even touch what happened last night in basketball and the problems there. Basketball will be filled with other teams' fans. I am not alum, but have had tickets for football since 1996 and basketball since 2005. On both fronts, NU will lose fans like me, especially with the way fans are treated by NU. The west lot had 60% occupancy today, but the golf course lots were well attended. Further, PF's dismissive attitude does not help at all. Fans like myself who go to the games and tailgate can spend their money and time elsewhere, like a one week vacation in Caribbean. When we leave, we will not return.

On the football, I keep hearing that the players need to make plays or need to execute. Obviously, the more talented athlete has a better chance to make play. However, I think good recruiting, coaching, training and development, like in any other profession or jobs that we do every day, will increase the likelihood of better execution. The coaches in basketball and football selected the players under the academic limitations that they understood, trained and coached them. The ineptitude in both sports lies only in one place: the head coach. This is how it works in the real world. When my associate failed to execute, it was not his or her fault, it was mine. Too many failure to execute led to loss of business. The excuses given for millionaires, Fitz and Collins, on this board is beyond belief. The ineptitude on offense and special teams has been present for years, but Mike Hankwitz bailed both out for years. This is a chronic problem. Phillips better fix it or the empty stadium will again be the norm,
I love Fitz! We are down to our third string QB , running back,and other key players hurt! Get em next year

Really, I was shocked at how many people were there.

JP has worked a miracle in taking what once an open program and molding it into a closed activity run for the benefit of a chosen few the loss of support this year for football and basketball perhaps will allow him to change direction.

Reactions: julescat
The QB situation is by choice. Our 1st string QB is suited up, languishing on the sideline. Our coaches deserve to be judged on this choice they made.

Do you really think the staff wouldn’t be playing HJ if they thought he was better than Smith right now? Have you watched HJ when he has played this year? There is more to playing QB than having a great arm and being a good athlete.

Do you really think the staff wouldn’t be playing HJ if they thought he was better than Smith right now? Have you watched HJ when he has played this year? There is more to playing QB than having a great arm and being a good athlete.
Yes, in person, I saw HJ play the whole game in our only win this season. I've seen Aidan plenty in person, too, and I'm not impressed.

I almost think that McCall has used HJ as a scapegoat for why his offense is so putrid, and Fitz, out of loyalty to his friend McCall, bought into it and started Aidan.

Yes, in person, I saw HJ play the whole game in our only win this season. I've seen Aidan plenty in person, too, and I'm not impressed.

I almost think that McCall has used HJ as a scapegoat for why his offense is so putrid, and Fitz, out of loyalty to his friend McCall, bought into it and started Aidan.

This is absolutely laughable. The amount of nonsense that is spewed on this board on game day is overwhelming. The only answer is not to read any of it because one only becomes dumber reading this crap.

Reactions: GOUNUII

Oh cmon man!

Actually he does. Obviously we vent a lot about bball and football here but we really stink it up in quite a few other sports as well. Softball should be studs this year as will WLAX. Other than that it's really just field hockey. Soccer and golf teams have tumbled a bit and women's tennis always seems to crap out in the NCAA's.

A normal staff, no. A staff that knows they will feel no repercussions for this season, yes.

A normal staff, no. A staff that knows they will feel no repercussions for this season, yes.

Ridiculous. Smith is playing because he gives us the best chance to win. If that could be said about HJ right now, he would be playing. Any NU fan that thinks otherwise is just a blithering idiot.

Last edited:
Ridiculous. Smith is playing because he gives us the best chance to win. If that could be said about HJ right now, he would be playing. Any NU fan that thinks otherwise is just a blithering idiot.
I have to think you're right, because otherwise why would they do it? But that makes me really worried about the future. We're gonna need to go on faith that one of at least three QBs will need to get WAY better in the offseason, and possibly in a different system.

I have to think you're right, because otherwise why would they do it? But that makes me really worried about the future. We're gonna need to go on faith that one of at least three QBs will need to get WAY better in the offseason, and possibly in a different system.

Agreed. The notion that somehow there is this better player at any position on our bench that the coaches are not playing out of spite or personal reasons is just downright ignorant and offensive. Question our coaches abilities all you want but let's not questions their motivations. That's just flat out stupid.

Agreed. The notion that somehow there is this better player at any position on our bench that the coaches are not playing out of spite or personal reasons is just downright ignorant and offensive. Question our coaches abilities all you want but let's not questions their motivations. That's just flat out stupid.
It’s very likely that there is more going on behind the scenes that we don’t know of. You’re crazy if you truly can look in the mirror and think Smith gives us the best chance to win. He’s tough, but his play has been terrible which is why his stats put him at the very bottom of college football. HJ has all the skills, but there has to be more going on that we don’t know of or the family situation.

It’s very likely that there is more going on behind the scenes that we don’t know of. You’re crazy if you truly can look in the mirror and think Smith gives us the best chance to win. He’s tough, but his play has been terrible which is why his stats put him at the very bottom of college football. HJ has all the skills, but there has to be more going on that we don’t know of or the family situation.

Have you actually watched HJ play this year? "Skills" mean nothing if you can't read a defense, if you don't know your offensive progressions and if you can't throw the ball accurately to open receivers. Smith is playing right now because he gives the team the best chance to win. Nothing else.

Got to agree with others on this one. Hunter has pro level physical tools, but has not shown anything in the other aspects of being a QB. I’ve been on record that I think Hunter should get the rest of the snaps this year to see if he can improve, but there is also zero evidence he’s a better option than Aidan at this point as far as giving us the best chance to win games this season.

Have you actually watched HJ play this year? "Skills" mean nothing if you can't read a defense, if you don't know your offensive progressions and if you can't throw the ball accurately to open receivers. Smith is playing right now because he gives the team the best chance to win. Nothing else.
How’s that working for us? Have you gotten off your couch once in this year and watched a game in person? There is a distinct difference between the two on the field. Smith doesn’t give us a chance to win and if that’s our best chance we’re screwed.

no lack of idiots around this program

Smith is certainly not bad at running the RPO but he has physical limitations that are really frustrating. Equally frustrating is Johnson's physical gifts not compensating for his inability to handle the moment and execute. I can imagine the coaches are just beside themselves with agony watching these two guys on tape. Neither guy is good enough, for different reasons.

Reactions: KATankerous
THe OC recruited every QB on the roster and passed on others that have turned out better. NU is the only school that can get the second rated QB in the class and turn him into a third stringer after 2 years in the program. Even if they missed on HJ, the other 3 QB’s are not ready either. Who should be accountable for this?

Hmmm, so you're telling me there is a physically talented player who lacks a feel for the game...

Maybe game reps would help?

Maybe low stakes game reps in a lost season?
This. We’ve never committed to Hunter and it’s been one mind game after the next. We’ve never handed him the keys and said you run with this, good or bad. For some reason we’ve done that with Smith and it’s a complete disaster.

THe OC recruited every QB on the roster and passed on others that have turned out better. NU is the only school that can get the second rated QB in the class and turn him into a third stringer after 2 years in the program. Even if they missed on HJ, the other 3 QB’s are not ready either. Who should be accountable for this?
I’ve heard NU’s offensive coordinator is a genius developer of quarterbacks who has sent numerous signal-callers to the NFL. It would seem that he would be responsible here.

Reactions: FitzHead and IGNORE
I’ve heard NU’s offensive coordinator is a genius developer of quarterbacks who has sent numerous signal-callers to the NFL. It would seem that he would be responsible here.
I have heard it is all the players and we don’t recruit talent. I guess each year we miss the mark with picking up talent on O. What will be the excuse next year when 4 of out top 5 recruits are on O?

How’s that working for us? Have you gotten off your couch once in this year and watched a game in person? There is a distinct difference between the two on the field. Smith doesn’t give us a chance to win and if that’s our best chance we’re screwed.

Ah yes, the we are going to lose anyway so we may just as well throw someone else in there approach. That approach usually works really well!

Yes, there is a difference on the field between the two although I would call it minor, not distinct. Smith is recognizing coverages more quickly, he moves along in his progressions a little more quickly and he has been slightly more accurate than what HJ has shown. Not a huge difference between the two in playing speed but enough to make a difference for the offense. HJ is clearly the more talented athlete and arm thrower but that alone doesn't get you on the field. You don't need to be at the game to see that. I have been able to see that easily on my iPad from the remote location I've been working at throughout this fall or even while I have been taking my son on college tours this fall.

Hmmm, so you're telling me there is a physically talented player who lacks a feel for the game...

Maybe game reps would help?

Maybe low stakes game reps in a lost season?

That's a legitimate criticism but Fitz is not playing for next year right now. He is playing to win games this year and he believes Smith right now gives the team the best chance to win. I happen to agree with this philosophy because I believe losing is a habit and there is nothing more corrosive to a program than developing a losing mentality and habits. Finishing the offseason with a couple of wins would be huge for the confidence and the attitude of the players going into a critical offseason. That's more important than the individual development of a player which may pay off next year but is at the expense of this year's team chances of finishing strong. I can see where some may disagree with this approach but I think this is why Smith is playing.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the we are going to lose anyway so we may just as well throw someone else in there approach. That approach usually works really well!

Yes, there is a difference on the field between the two although I would call it minor, not distinct. Smith is recognizing coverages more quickly, he moves along in his progressions a little more quickly and he has been slightly more accurate than what HJ has shown. Not a huge difference between the two in playing speed but enough to make a difference for the offense. HJ is clearly the more talented athlete and arm thrower but that alone doesn't get you on the field. You don't need to be at the game to see that. I have been able to see that easily on my iPad from the remote location I've been working at throughout this fall or even while I have been taking my son on college tours this fall.
Smith made a long deep throw to Holman on the penultimate drive (go ahead TD) that impressed me. The pocket started to close, so Smith stepped up and to his right. A few weeks ago, he pulls it down and runs for a decent gain. This time, he kept the ball up and spied Holman on his deep post route. Holman broke it back and Smith fired a 30 yard strike. Plenty of zip. He completed the drive with a nice throw on an out route to Lees in the end zone.

I don’t know know how much Smith is going through his progressions, but he was finding guys open downfield. He definitely trusts Lees, and seems to have some rapport with Holman.

Smith made a long deep throw to Holman on the penultimate drive (go ahead TD) that impressed me. The pocket started to close, so Smith stepped up and to his right. A few weeks ago, he pulls it down and runs for a decent gain. This time, he kept the ball up and spied Holman on his deep post route. Holman broke it back and Smith fired a 30 yard strike. Plenty of zip. He completed the drive with a nice throw on an out route to Lees in the end zone.

I don’t know know how much Smith is going through his progressions, but he was finding guys open downfield. He definitely trusts Lees, and seems to have some rapport with Holman.

The TD throw to Jace James was big time. He had huge pressure in his face and he zipped a strong, accurate throw to James for the TD. If you watch Smith closely, he has made nice strides in the last couple of weeks. He looked really good against man coverage early on but struggled as soon as Purdue switched to more zone coverage. He struggles with the timing of throws and getting enough zip on throws to be able to complete them in tight zone windows. That being said, he made a very nice completion to Bowman against zone coverage on a 3rd and 19 late in the game that was an excellent throw all around.

I was at the game and the attendance was terrible
I was there too and I was surprised that two teams with losing records would put that many people in the seats on a cold November day with plenty of TV football options. I'm sure season ticket sales were up off last year and there could be a falloff next year but that was an entertaining, competitive game (with a heartbreaking finish) and if we can give Minnesota a game like that, maybe the falloff won't be too great. You must not have been around for the Dark Ages. I believe the season ticket base was down to 5,000 when Barnett arrived. There is a nice community feel to NU football now, as opposed to back then and I think Phillips has helped foster that, and I don't think we're going back to those miserable times any time soon despite this luckless, disheartening season. Basketball now has the facilities to compete but there's lots more competition for that dollar in a pro town that has many other college hoops options. Heck, last year, Loyola didn't even sell out a lot of games in a small gym after a FInal Four appearance!

Gee, how does all the winning feel?

JP has worked a miracle in taking what once an open program and molding it into a closed activity run for the benefit of a chosen few the loss of support this year for football and basketball perhaps will allow him to change direction.
Mr Phillips completely destroyed tailgating for longtime fans, for the $$$.
Sports, including NU, is moving moreso out of the 'season ticket holder' paradigm and into 'single event' ticketing. Sorta like concerts. At the end of the day, it makes less sense to be a season ticket holder, due to cost and having to pay for all of the stink games as well, and it makes less sense for an organization to have season ticket holders since teams can exploit and control the secondary markets due to the rise of the mobile ticket and integrated systems with sellers like Stubhub.

Pro teams would eliminate all season ticket holders, except cities subsidize stadiums with tax dollars, and thus the team has to have an allotment of season tickets. For instance, the Cubs have a lot less season ticket holders than people think. Yes, there is a waiting list but that is just a marketing strategy for folks to think that somehow the season ticket package is worth the huge expense at Wrigley. The Cubs make most of their money from dynamic pricing.

Mr Phillips completely destroyed tailgating for longtime fans, for the $$$
Gee Turk, I see tons of tailgating in both east and west lots and especially at the Golf Course lot. I'm really sorry you've become soured on the program but don't you think it's part of the college football culture? For years at NU, we paid very little for seats and parking and the season ticket is still very reasonable compared to many others in the Big Ten.

Smith doesn’t give us a chance to win and if that’s our best chance we’re screwed.

Um...Smith very distinctly gave us a chance to win yesterday. Other players didn't do their jobs. Kuhbander has the chance to hit that chip-shot FG. Ruiz has the chance to not get an awful PI (with good safety support) on 4th down with the game on the line. Slater has the chance to not get a terrible hold on a drive that could ice the game. We had opportunities to win. We just didn't take advantage of those opportunities.

So, while Smith has decidedly not been a world beater, he also decidedly gave us a chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT