ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Phillips--You Have Major Problems

Um...Smith very distinctly gave us a chance to win yesterday. Other players didn't do their jobs. Kuhbander has the chance to hit that chip-shot FG. Ruiz has the chance to not get an awful PI (with good safety support) on 4th down with the game on the line. Slater has the chance to not get a terrible hold on a drive that could ice the game. We had opportunities to win. We just didn't take advantage of those opportunities.

So, while Smith has decidedly not been a world beater, he also decidedly gave us a chance to win.
The missed field goal was because of a high snap! Still, Northwestern has spent 350 million bucks and the players have gotten soft!

Gee Turk, I see tons of tailgating in both east and west lots and especially at the Golf Course lot. I'm really sorry you've become soured on the program but don't you think it's part of the college football culture? For years at NU, we paid very little for seats and parking and the season ticket is still very reasonable compared to many others in the Big Ten.
yes at the golf lot. That's where most of us got pushed to.

Do you really think the staff wouldn’t be playing HJ if they thought he was better than Smith right now? Have you watched HJ when he has played this year? There is more to playing QB than having a great arm and being a good athlete.

Did you watch HJ at Clemson? Guess not? Next excuse!

Even if fans return next season, should the same circus performance occur next season fans will find better things to do on game-days going forward.

Reactions: IGNORE
Did you watch HJ at Clemson? Guess not? Next excuse!

Yes I did. Did you? If you think those few highlights provide any concrete evidence of a QB ready to be successful as a starting P5 QB then you are really reaching. A one step drop, first read WR screen pass to a WR who then runs through Stamford’s defense for a TD shows me noting. The consistent theme in all those highlight. First read, quick and short pass to a wide open receiver who runs through a weak opponent for a TD. Any of NU’s current QBs could have run those same plays with the same result. No doubt He has outstanding physical talent but there is no evidence he is yet able to harness that talent as a starting QB against Big Ten level competition.

Yes I did. Did you? If you think those few highlights provide any concrete evidence of a QB ready to be successful as a starting P5 QB then you are really reaching. A one step drop, first read WR screen pass to a WR who then runs through Stamford’s defense for a TD shows me noting. The consistent theme in all those highlight. First read, quick and short pass to a wide open receiver who runs through a weak opponent for a TD. Any of NU’s current QBs could have run those same plays with the same result. No doubt He has outstanding physical talent but there is no evidence he is yet able to harness that talent as a starting QB against Big Ten level competition.

I actually DVR'd Clemson Games during HJ's 2017 Season and he was good.

2020 will be much better after they can that garbage OC in McCall

Reactions: IGNORE and NUCat320
I actually DVR'd Clemson Games during HJ's 2017 Season and he was good.

2020 will be much better after they can that garbage OC in McCall

That’s good, so you watched him on the sideline holding a clipboard? The YouTube highlights I just described are literally the only playing time he got while at Clemson. As far as your prediction for 2020 is concerned, I certainly think that is possible after another full off season of practice, playbook study and bonding with his teammates. The kid has exceptional physical abilities. I am confident MCCall will find a way to develop him.

ok, let’s call that play a bunch!

Reactions: HappyNUyear
That’s good, so you watched him on the sideline holding a clipboard? The YouTube highlights I just described are literally the only playing time he got while at Clemson. As far as your prediction for 2020 is concerned, I certainly think that is possible after another full off season of practice, playbook study and bonding with his teammates. The kid has exceptional physical abilities. I am confident MCCall will find a way to develop him.
So - any kid can fail to develop, even a highly ranked 5 star. What I don't understand is, by all reports, he is a whale of an athlete, a great, humble person and a hard worker. Why is Justin Fields a Heisman candidate? Why is the 4th string PU QB effective? For that matter, why is Kirtz doing nothing and PU's second choice bell absolutely lighting it up?

I can understand a little letdown from Thor, but we have been terrible. Why do you think the coaches are not accountable for A) lack of HJ development and B) the worst offense in the country?

More succinctly, hypothetically, what level of poor performance would lead you to believe a change is necessary? Just take a position 'a change is necessary if we get shutout 5 weeks in a row.

McCall won’t be around in 2020. Don’t keep expecting people to keep watching McCall’s Follies and donating to the NU hostage fund. Hank’s D has bailed McCall out way too many times over the years. 1501 Central could be very empty going forward if the shit show continues on offense

Last edited:
Reactions: catfans5 and IGNORE
So - any kid can fail to develop, even a highly ranked 5 star. What I don't understand is, by all reports, he is a whale of an athlete, a great, humble person and a hard worker. Why is Justin Fields a Heisman candidate? Why is the 4th string PU QB effective? For that matter, why is Kirtz doing nothing and PU's second choice bell absolutely lighting it up?

I can understand a little letdown from Thor, but we have been terrible. Why do you think the coaches are not accountable for A) lack of HJ development and B) the worst offense in the country?

More succinctly, hypothetically, what level of poor performance would lead you to believe a change is necessary? Just take a position 'a change is necessary if we get shutout 5 weeks in a row.

The answer is obvious. Those other players you cite are better players right now than the NU players you compare them to. There is much more to playing football than being a good athlete, particularly when you play QB.

As far as your other question is concerned, i’d Start blaming MCCall when I see that the major deficiencies we’ve had/have with the offense have been addressed and we still are not playing the type of complementary offensive football that enables the team to achieve its goals. I don’t see any evidence of that right now.

McCall won’t be around in 2020. Don’t keep expecting people to keep watching McCall’s Follies and donating to the NU hostage fund. Hank’s D has bailed McCall out way too many times over the years. 1501 Central could be very empty going forward if the shit show continues on offense
I'll bet you a dollar he is back next year. In fact, to paraphrase Billy Martin, I'll give you 500 to 1 odds. Five dollars to a penny

Like I said in another thread, I’m willing to wager a few bucks to start a pool on that issue. Those looking forward to a new OC in 2020 will be sorely disappointed in my opinion.

The answer is obvious. Those other players you cite are better players right now than the NU players you compare them to. There is much more to playing football than be a good athlete, particularly when you play QB.

As far as your other question is concerned, i’d Start blaming MCCall when I see that the major deficiencies we’ve had/have with the offense have been addressed and we still are not playing the type of complementary offensive football that enables the team to achieve its goals. I don’t see any evidence of that right now.
Sorry Corbi, I don't understand the answer and I'm stuck in an airport anyway.
What are the major deficiencies? Like injuries? Isn't anything else the coaches' responsibility? Bad recruiting, bad development, bad performance? I hate to keep repeating it, but we are the worst! Not just "bad", or somewhat worse than last year, but the worst. Why is it ok? Are these deficiencies you speak on (other than injuries) NOT the coaches' responsibility?

Also why are those lower rated players so much better than ours? Luck of the draw? the Gap is a chasm between Bell and our touted Frosh WRs (or he has good QBs throwing to him) why?

Sorry Corbi, I don't understand the answer and I'm stuck in an airport anyway.
What are the major deficiencies? Like injuries? Isn't anything else the coaches' responsibility? Bad recruiting, bad development, bad performance? I hate to keep repeating it, but we are the worst! Not just "bad", or somewhat worse than last year, but the worst. Why is it ok? Are these deficiencies you speak on (other than injuries) NOT the coaches' responsibility?

Also why are those lower rated players so much better than ours? Luck of the draw? the Gap is a chasm between Bell and our touted Frosh WRs (or he has good QBs throwing to him) why?

I’ve been pretty consistent in what the major deficiencies are and why it’s hard to make McCall the fall guy for those problems. The problem with the offense for the last decade has been a woefully deficient OL in term of play and talent that in my opinion was largely the result of the previous OL position coach that was hired and retained by Fitz. This year that problem has been compounded by a hole in the QB depth chart that was the result of not landing a Plan A Recruit or not recruiting a scholarship QB in the last 5 classes since Thorson. McCall deserves some of the blame on that but so does Fitz. The OL problem has been addressed with a new OL coach and I am confident we will address the QB position this offseason. I see nothing wrong with scheme or play calling so I don’t believe firing MCCall will accomplish anything other than providing a fall guy for the pissed off fan base.

Last edited:
I thought the playcalling was quite imaginative vs. Purdue. We just need more playmakers like McGowan! Will be interesting if anyone can emerge this week to take his place.

I’ve been pretty consistent in what the major deficiencies are and why it’s hard to make McCall the fall guy for those problems. The problem with the offense for the last decade has been a woefully deficient OL in term of play and talent that in my opinion was largely the result of the previous OL position coach that was hired and retained by Fitz. This year that problem has been compounded by a hole in the QB depth chart that was the result of not landing a Plan A Recruit or not recruiting a scholarship QB in the last 5 classes since Thorson. McCall deserves some of the blame on that but so does Fitz. The OL problem has been addressed with a new OL coach and I am confident we will address the QB position this offseason. I see nothing wrong with scheme or play calling so I don’t believe firing MCCall will accomplish anything other than providing a fall guy for the pissed off fan base.
OK we probably can't expect immediate results from Anderson but I agree with your take. Seems like OL isn't an area where you can't plug in a new guy or coach and expect a turnaround. I haven't forgotten that we were worst in the league in sacks allowed, maybe in the country? Also re QB, it is the single most important role on the team, you can maybe swing and miss once, but not three years in a row. This year, our one and two were a walk on and a transfer, neither of whom were going to be all B1G, and the best scholarship guy has been limited effectiveness. The season is lost, I am tired/numb of the whole QB issue for this year.

Let me give you one other data point. I moved to Balt in 2013, and the Orioles, under Buck Showalter, were ascending with a good core of players. Showalter is a LONG time manager and knows what he's doing. They had a good team and won the division in 2016, and did ok first half of 2017, then collapsed in the 2nd half. In 2018 they lost 115 games. Was Buck Showalter a worse manager than 2016? Maybe a little, but not 42 games worse. But he was fired because he was ultimately responsible for the performance of the team, even though he didn't choose the players. I feel the NU offense, not the entire team, is a similar situation. The defense has also worsened, particularly due to their penchant of averaging 275 pass interference penalties per game, but most of the problem is the "worst in the country" offense. McCall won't be fired, because Fitz, but if he/Fitz just chalk it up to Thorson graduating/injuries, I really don't expect Anderson to be able to do enough to counteract that. People have figured us out, we have to adapt.

BTW, I LIKE a ball-control offense, so I don't object on the surface of the Fitz / McCall plan. My favorite season of this millennium was 2012. Run the ball/stop the run. I am already coining the nickname "Venric McGowan" but I don't expect any QB on the roster to be as effective a counterpart as Colter was (for Ecat).

The answer is obvious. Those other players you cite are better players right now than the NU players you compare them to. There is much more to playing football than being a good athlete, particularly when you play QB.

McCall could stand in the middle of Central Street and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose... ok, I'll go to the Rant Board.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Maybe McCall has been significantly impaired by all the factors Corbi has said, but as the head if that “department” its his job to navigate those issues.

Since our current players started high school, there is nothing to suggest he has done that well enough to produce a unit that is a relative positive.

You have been remarkable consistent, I’ll grant you that.

haha so you watched him on the bench. good for you.

No I watched as I like a winner in Clemson and a friends kids attend a real football winner.

In addition, they don’t pretend to be big-time, as they are big-time and don’t bs their fanbase.

keep drinking that purple kool-aid !!

Last edited:
Reactions: willycat
No I watched as I like a winner in Clemson and a friends kids attend a real football winner.

In addition, they don’t pretend to be big-time, as they are big-time and don’t bs their fanbase.

keep drinking that purple kool-aid !!

I don't believe that you understand what he was saying.

Your posts don't display such understanding.

Bottomline, the OC needs to be fired. The players are only as good with what their teacher (coach) provides them. McCall is responsible for the shit show on offense, which includes the recruitment of personnel. Fitz is also just as responsible as HC.

HJ isn’t the issue and most certainly AS has been placed into a desperate situation. Regardless whose at QB, they have no skilled personnel upfront and elsewhere.

If NU wants to fix the problem, it’s time to forget about friendships and make coaching changes.

It’s time for an overhaul of some of the offensive coaching staff, including a new OC

Reactions: IGNORE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT