ADVERTISEMENT

My conversation with big-time 2021 tackle Teddy Prochazka

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I interviewed four-star 2021 tackle Teddy Prochazka today about his visit to NU for the barbecue on July 27. He's a 6-foot-9, 282-pounder with great feet and will certainly be one of the most sought after offensive linemen in the country. He's ranked as the No. 43 overall prospect in the nation and the No. 8 tackle. The dude is a player.

He called it a "great" visit and really seemed to value the time he spent talking to Coach Fitz and Coach Anderson. This was his second visit to NU -- he was in Evanston for a bowl practice in December, too. Anderson also went out to Elkhorn (Neb.) South to watch him workout this spring.

Teddy said that NU, Nebraska and K-State are the three schools standing out, but it sounds like NU and Nebraska are the two clearly on top right now. That could change as more schools offer him, of course. He wants to visit Michigan at some point -- though he hasn't schedule anything yet -- and I think Notre Dame or Stanford could also muscle their way in there. He will likely take game visits to NU, Michigan, K-State and Nebraska this fall.

Northwestern's appeal is the academic side of the equation, along with his relationship with Fitz and Anderson. He also got a chance to meet several 2020 commits and a few NU OL at the BBQ, so he's building relationships with several Cats. He was on campus with his dad, brother and sister.

My take: Teddy really values the 40-year decision proposition that Northwestern offers and the doors an NU degree can open for him after his playing career. He also clearly admires Fitz and Anderson.

However, he will probably be the No. 1 player in Nebraska in 2021, and the Huskers don't lose many of those guys. To anyone. It would take A LOT of guts for a big-time prospect like him to spurn the hometown Huskers -- especially to go to a Big Ten West rival school. A Big Ten West rival school that beats them quite a bit on top of it. As you know, EVERYONE in Nebraska is a Big Red fan, so the pressure to go to Lincoln will be tremendous. The last really big-time in-state recruit that I can think of that turned down the Huskers for an academic school is, of course, none other than Scott Frost -- though Stanford didn't play in the same division as Nebraska, either. Frost wound up transferring to Lincoln, anyway. The Cats have a shot here, but it's going to be tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News