ADVERTISEMENT

My experience in Lincoln this weekend

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Well, it was another successful trip to Lincoln for the Cats. When Nebraska joined the Big Ten, if you told me that the Wildcats would win three of their first four games in Lincoln, I would have said that would be about as likely as winning three straight overtime games. And, as we all know, if it wasn’t for one stupid Hail Mary, NU would be 4-0 in one of the cathedrals of college football. The Huskers are not what they once were, but that is still a loud, chaotic and difficult place to play.

For those of you who don’t know, the Nebraska-Northwestern game is our family’s Super Bowl. My wife is from Nebraska and, naturally, her whole family is made up of Husker fans. My kids and I are the only NU fans among the 14-17 family members that go to the game every year, grapes in a sea of tomatoes. We have a trophy – the Corn Cat – that gets passed to the winning side each year, just like the Stanley Cup.

While Nebraska is in the midst of another disappointing year, there is still a carnival-like atmosphere to game day in Lincoln. I went to the Embassy Suites in downtown Lincoln, a big Husker gathering place. I saw cheerleaders standing on ascending steps inside the atrium, leading the crowd in cheers. I saw the Fairbury Franks WeinerSlinger shooting wrapped hot dogs up to nearly the ceiling (6-8 floors, I’d say), and then come tumbling down for a lucky fan to grab. I saw people drinking red beers (tomato juice and beer) come up to my son and thank him for coming to the game (he was in purple, I was wearing neutral colors for the press box). I heard spontaneous volleying chants of “GOOOO BIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEED…Go Big Red!”

I walked around the stadium and saw octogenerians with temporary Husker tattoos on their cheeks and grandparents wearing red-and-white striped overalls. I saw a brass and drum section of the marching band surround a bank of portapotties, blasting the fight song to scare the beejesus out of whoever was inside. (I’m not sure why they did it, but it was hilarious).

Still, there was a touch of sadness to the whole thing, like one day soon it’s all going to come to an end. Losses that were once calamitous aberrations have become routine. Almost accepted. Schools like Northwestern were never supposed to come in to Lincoln and leave with a W. The Cats were the first visitor to win a Big Ten game at Memorial Stadium in 2011, but now it’s a fairly regular occurrence. The Huskers are now 4-5 and may not make a bowl game.

Tickets have been going for real cheap on the street this season – five bucks – and there were some empty seats in the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium on Saturday. That was a first for me. A parking lot attendant told me she sold out her lot just once all season (for Wisconsin) and that, in years past, by 8 am all of the street parking spaces would be full and cars would be lining up to get into lots. People told me that the school has been buying up visitor tickets this year to make sure the sellout streak stays intact (360 straight games, since 1962).

The overwhelming majority of Huskers I talked to think Mike Riley is going to get fired at the end of the year. A few weren’t sure. Just one said he hoped not. Hiring the new AD just about sealed Riley’s fate, most think. They think he’s a good man and a good coach, but he just hasn’t won enough. Most think that former Husker Scott Frost will leave UCF to be the next Nebraska head coach. I talked to one well connected guy who says it’s a certainty.

Nebraska needs a good football team. Not just the university, but the whole damn state. There is no place like Nebraska, just like the fight song says, when it comes to support from border to border. Everyone in the state is a Husker fan. There are no split allegiances. They are all in. The Husker program is losing its specialness and they all know it. They are all a little bit afraid of the future, too.

After the game, fans dressed in purple received a lot of congratulations from Husker fans. They’re frustrated by what’s going on with their beloved program, but they’re never going to cheer against or disrespect an opponent. They take their “best fans in the country” label very seriously. They want you to think they’re the nicest fan base you’ve ever encountered. Because they are.

It seems as though every family has someone from Nebraska in it. Not mine though. I watched on TV. It was great!

One of the most open and positive fan bases. I truly enjoyed going to Lincoln (even though it was the hail mary game).

Well, it was another successful trip to Lincoln for the Cats. When Nebraska joined the Big Ten, if you told me that the Wildcats would win three of their first four games in Lincoln, I would have said that would be about as likely as winning three straight overtime games. And, as we all know, if it wasn’t for one stupid Hail Mary, NU would be 4-0 in one of the cathedrals of college football. The Huskers are not what they once were, but that is still a loud, chaotic and difficult place to play.

For those of you who don’t know, the Nebraska-Northwestern game is our family’s Super Bowl. My wife is from Nebraska and, naturally, her whole family is made up of Husker fans. My kids and I are the only NU fans among the 14-17 family members that go to the game every year, grapes in a sea of tomatoes. We have a trophy – the Corn Cat – that gets passed to the winning side each year, just like the Stanley Cup.

While Nebraska is in the midst of another disappointing year, there is still a carnival-like atmosphere to game day in Lincoln. I went to the Embassy Suites in downtown Lincoln, a big Husker gathering place. I saw cheerleaders standing on ascending steps inside the atrium, leading the crowd in cheers. I saw the Fairbury Franks WeinerSlinger shooting wrapped hot dogs up to nearly the ceiling (6-8 floors, I’d say), and then come tumbling down for a lucky fan to grab. I saw people drinking red beers (tomato juice and beer) come up to my son and thank him for coming to the game (he was in purple, I was wearing neutral colors for the press box). I hear spontaneous volleying chants of “GOOOO BIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEED…Go Big Red!”

I walked around the stadium and saw octogenerians with temporary Husker tattoos on their cheek and grandparents wearing red-and-white striped overalls. I saw a brass and drum section of the marching band surround a bank of portapotties, blasting the fight song to scare the beejesus out of whoever was inside. (I’m not sure why they did it, but it was hilarious).

Still, there was a touch of sadness to the whole thing, like one day soon it’s all going to come to an end. Losses that were once calamitous aberrations have become routine. Almost accepted. Schools like Northwestern were never supposed to come in to Lincoln and leave with a W. The Cats were the first visitor to win a Big Ten game at Memorial Stadium in 2011, but now it’s a fairly regular occurrence. The Huskers are now 4-5 and may not make a bowl game.

Tickets have been going for real cheap on the street this season – five bucks – and there were some empty seats in the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium on Saturday. That was a first for me. A parking lot attendant told me she sold out her lot just once all season (for Wisconsin) and that by 8 am, when I spoke to her, all of the street parking spaces would be full and cars would be lining up to get into lots. People told me that the school has been buying up visitor tickets this year to make sure the sellout streak stays intact (360 straight games, since 1962).

The overwhelming majority of Huskers I talked to think Mike Riley is going to get fired at the end of the year. A few weren’t sure. Just one said he hoped not. Hiring the new AD just about sealed Riley’s fate, most think. They think he’s a good man and a good coach, but he just hasn’t won enough. Most think that former Husker Scott Frost will leave UCF to be the next Nebraska head coach. I talked to one well connected guy who says it’s a certainty.

Nebraska needs a good football team. Not just the university, but the whole damn state. There is no place like Nebraska, just like the fight song says, when it comes to support from border to border. Everyone in the state is a Husker fan. There are no split allegiances. They are all in. The Husker program is losing its specialness and they all know it. They are all a little bit afraid of the future, too.

After the game, fans dressed in purple received a lot of congratulations from Husker fans. They’re frustrated by what’s going on with their beloved program, but they’re never going to cheer against or disrespect an opponent. They take their “best fans in the country” label very seriously. They want you to think they’re the nicest fan base you’ve ever encountered. Because they are.

Being that I live in Des Moines, only Iowa City is a closer Big Ten destination for me that Lincoln. Therefore, like Lou, I have yet to miss a Northwestern game in Lincoln and have been to all four. And while the victories are great and definitely help, due to how incredible that fanbase is with their friendliness and passion, I hope I continue to make the NU-NU game in Lincoln every two years. I've been to games in Columbus, Iowa City, East Lansing, and several other Big Ten stadiums, and I can say that there is no place that touches the experience I have in Lincoln each time I go. The fanbase is just not like any other you will find. They truly make you feel welcome, and as Lou said, there is a great deal of pride to being the "best fans in the country". And it shows around every corner you turn down there on a football Saturday. They love their Huskers, they want that victory more than just about anything, but it does not get in the way of being welcoming to opposing fans. And in four games down there, I can tell you in all honesty that I have not run into even one (truly, not even one) disrespectful Nebraska fan. That's pretty much impossible. Going to Iowa City as a visitor is the exact opposite. They treat you like garbage and it really makes me have no desire to go to games there. It's not worth it for me.

It's a trip I recommend to all college football fans. I have a blast every time I'm down there, win or lose. Though that Hail Mary definitely stung a little. :)

Should

While Nebraska is in the midst of another disappointing year, there is still a carnival-like atmosphere to game day in Lincoln. I went to the Embassy Suites in downtown Lincoln, a big Husker gathering place. I saw cheerleaders standing on ascending steps inside the atrium, leading the crowd in cheers. I saw the Fairbury Franks WeinerSlinger shooting wrapped hot dogs up to nearly the ceiling (6-8 floors, I’d say), and then come tumbling down for a lucky fan to grab. I saw people drinking red beers (tomato juice and beer) come up to my son and thank him for coming to the game (he was in purple, I was wearing neutral colors for the press box). I hear spontaneous volleying chants of “GOOOO BIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEED…Go Big Red!”

I walked around the stadium and saw octogenerians with temporary Husker tattoos on their cheek and grandparents wearing red-and-white striped overalls. I saw a brass and drum section of the marching band surround a bank of portapotties, blasting the fight song to scare the beejesus out of whoever was inside. (I’m not sure why they did it, but it was hilarious).

Tickets have been going for real cheap on the street this season – five bucks – and there were some empty seats in the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium on Saturday. That was a first for me. A parking lot attendant told me she sold out her lot just once all season (for Wisconsin) and that by 8 am, when I spoke to her, all of the street parking spaces would be full and cars would be lining up to get into lots. People told me that the school has been buying up visitor tickets this year to make sure the sellout streak stays intact (360 straight games, since 1962).

Should have been 4. I really get tired of seeing that Hail Mary

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Just so we can get a W from them and carry it through the state of IA on the way home.

I’ve been twice and it is an excellent weekend experience. If not tops in the conference (I’ve done everywhere but MD and RUT), it’s top 2.

I loved that "grapes in a sea of tomatoes" reference!

Last edited:
And if you include travel time, the trip to and from a Nebraska game is a HECK of a lot easier than travel to and from Iowa City from Des Moines with the rest of the Hawkeyes.

Being that I live in Des Moines, only Iowa City is a closer Big Ten destination for me that Lincoln. Therefore, like Lou, I have yet to miss a Northwestern game in Lincoln and have been to all four. And while the victories are great and definitely help, due to how incredible that fanbase is with their friendliness and passion, I hope I continue to make the NU-NU game in Lincoln every two years. I've been to games in Columbus, Iowa City, East Lansing, and several other Big Ten stadiums, and I can say that there is no place that touches the experience I have in Lincoln each time I go. The fanbase is just not like any other you will find. They truly make you feel welcome, and as Lou said, there is a great deal of pride to being the "best fans in the country". And it shows around every corner you turn down there on a football Saturday. They love their Huskers, they want that victory more than just about anything, but it does not get in the way of being welcoming to opposing fans. And in four games down there, I can tell you in all honesty that I have not run into even one (truly, not even one) disrespectful Nebraska fan. That's pretty much impossible. Going to Iowa City as a visitor is the exact opposite. They treat you like garbage and it really makes me have no desire to go to games there. It's not worth it for me.

It's a trip I recommend to all college football fans. I have a blast every time I'm down there, win or lose. Though that Hail Mary definitely stung a little. :)

Best travel game experience. I posted elsewhere that the restaurants and the new railroad station area was great. Really friendly, not fake friendly. I will root for the Huskies based on their fans.

This is a great program. It puzzles me when people state they won’t rebound back to a power. They probably won’t make it back to NC contender, but absolutely no reason they can’t be consistent contenders in the West with an occasional run for a playoff birth.

I've never been to a game out in Lincoln, but having been present at the 2016 and 2014 games in Evanston I can agree about the classiness of that fan base.

That said I do think they are a bit too hard on the program, and that the fan base never really gave Riley much of a chance to get what he wanted to get done.

As a Northwestern fan, it's difficult for me to shed a tear for a program that fired a guy who was delivering them 9 and 10-win seasons EVERY SINGLE YEAR in hopes of upgrading their coaching situation.

Parity is good for college football. Welcome to the new normal where you don't get to have an endless reign on top - ask Texas and Florida, who are naturally moving in cycles to the benefit of TCU and UCF. And as Notre Dame illustrates this year, you can make a comeback.

On the bright side for Huskers fans, I sincerely believe the state-wide dedication to the program will ensure it's never down for *too* long, and I absolutely believe they are capable of returning to some degree of their past glory if they don't get in their own way.

As a Northwestern fan, it's difficult for me to shed a tear for a program that fired a guy who was delivering them 9 and 10-win seasons EVERY SINGLE YEAR in hopes of upgrading their coaching situation.

Parity is good for college football. Welcome to the new normal where you don't get to have an endless reign on top - ask Texas and Florida, who are naturally moving in cycles to the benefit of TCU and UCF. And as Notre Dame illustrates this year, you can make a comeback.

On the bright side for Huskers fans, I sincerely believe the state-wide dedication to the program will ensure it's never down for *too* long, and I absolutely believe they are capable of returning to some degree of their past glory if they don't get in their own way.
I would typically agree with this on Pellini, but lets be honest here, many were not thrilled with his sunny disposition year after year. So they turned to a nice guy from a jerk and it didn’t work out this way.

I would typically agree with this on Pellini, but lets be honest here, many were not thrilled with his sunny disposition year after year. So they turned to a nice guy from a jerk and it didn’t work out this way.
At least we don’t have to hear stories any more about Pellini traveling with his pet cat as he tried to humanize himself. Some PR douche clearly came up with that nonsense. Pellini never mentioned that if they lost, he ate the cat.

Last edited:

While Nebraska is in the midst of another disappointing year, there is still a carnival-like atmosphere to game day in Lincoln. I went to the Embassy Suites in downtown Lincoln, a big Husker gathering place. I saw cheerleaders standing on ascending steps inside the atrium, leading the crowd in cheers. I saw the Fairbury Franks WeinerSlinger shooting wrapped hot dogs up to nearly the ceiling (6-8 floors, I’d say), and then come tumbling down for a lucky fan to grab. I saw people drinking red beers (tomato juice and beer) come up to my son and thank him for coming to the game (he was in purple, I was wearing neutral colors for the press box). I heard spontaneous volleying chants of “GOOOO BIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEED…Go Big Red!”

I walked around the stadium and saw octogenerians with temporary Husker tattoos on their cheeks and grandparents wearing red-and-white striped overalls. I saw a brass and drum section of the marching band surround a bank of portapotties, blasting the fight song to scare the beejesus out of whoever was inside. (I’m not sure why they did it, but it was hilarious).

Tickets have been going for real cheap on the street this season – five bucks – and there were some empty seats in the southeast corner of Memorial Stadium on Saturday. That was a first for me. A parking lot attendant told me she sold out her lot just once all season (for Wisconsin) and that, in years past, by 8 am all of the street parking spaces would be full and cars would be lining up to get into lots. People told me that the school has been buying up visitor tickets this year to make sure the sellout streak stays intact (360 straight games, since 1962).

They need a can't miss type of coach like Fitz or Urban Meyer! Probably gonna offer Frost six million a year! They can win there with the right coaching! Riley is not the Osborne type they need! The young guy from Minnesota,Fleck would be a good pick! He is bright and can play.

This. They are a fan base with so much integrity that winning wasn't everything and while Pellini didn't do anything illegal or immoral ( that I know of), he didn't carry himself with enough integrity.

These days, I really admire that.

I’ve been twice and it is an excellent weekend experience. If not tops in the conference (I’ve done everywhere but MD and RUT), it’s top 2.
I'm just curious, Fitz, who would be in the discussion for you as far as the top visiting experience in the conference, along with Lincoln? I've been to some 70 of our road games, covering multiple visits to every Big Ten school (except, of course, for the single visit to Maryland and none yet to Rutgers), and while I've enjoyed certain elements of every one of those trips, I can't think of one that I'd compare to Lincoln.

I'm for parity when it means a lot of teams are good, or at least respectable. This defined the Big 10 during the '50s and '60s when you had anyone from Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue and even Indiana ('68) good at times and capable of winning the league title. Even NU had its moments under Ara. There is parity in the Western Division this year, but it's a parity of mediocrity. We need programs such as Nebraska and some of the rest to pick up their game and strengthen the league. The East, despite all its boasting, isn't that great this year, either.

I'm just curious, Fitz, who would be in the discussion for you as far as the top visiting experience in the conference, along with Lincoln? I've been to some 70 of our road games, covering multiple visits to every Big Ten school (except, of course, for the single visit to Maryland and none yet to Rutgers), and while I've enjoyed certain elements of every one of those trips, I can't think of one that I'd compare to Lincoln.
Not Fitz, but I enjoy MSU as well.

Not Fitz, but I enjoy MSU as well.
Yep, Nebraska is tops. However, I've been to MSU three times with two wins. I enjoyed talking with the fans. Several fans congratulated me after wins. We never had a single bad incident. It was Nebraska light.

Iowa City is an enjoyable time if one is partying. Madison is an excellent gameday experience.

How much parity is there when you have AL, OSU, etc.? Parity below that maybe, but not really at the top.

This is a great program. It puzzles me when people state they won’t rebound back to a power. They probably won’t make it back to NC contender, but absolutely no reason they can’t be consistent contenders in the West with an occasional run for a playoff birth.

^^ This ^^ I agree with. No reason why UNL shouldn't be one of the consistently top programs in the West (and by extension the B1G). That would be a good thing.

It's the fanciful (bordering on delusional), Back to the Future, belief system of some of their fanbase that Nebraska should automagically (year after year) be on par with the Bama's, OSU's, and SC's of the FBS landscape, because they're Nebraska, that I roll my eyes at. As we're seeing again this season, only Alabama seems to be able to live up to that expectation, consistently.

This. They are a fan base with so much integrity that winning wasn't everything and while Pellini didn't do anything illegal or immoral ( that I know of), he didn't carry himself with enough integrity.

These days, I really admire that.

And why'd they fire Solich? It certainly wasn't because he ran up the score on our Wildcats in the Alamo Bowl ;). In his six seasons in Lincoln he only had one campaign that fell below 9 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT