ADVERTISEMENT

My new season’s resolutions

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
This season:

I promise to not set off my neighbor’s yippie little dog by screaming obscenities at the TV when the Cats’ pass coverage breaks down on a 3rd and 25 while they rush 3, yielding a 26 yard completion.

I promise not to threaten to withhold my annual fund contribution when the offense runs between tackles for less than 4 on eleven consecutive first downs.

I promise to not ruin a Saturday dinner at a really good Bay Area restaurant by obsessing to my wife about how the refs had interpreted the pass interference rule unevenly to the detriment of the Cats that day.

I imagine I will break all three promises before September is done. I would say before August is done, but I will be in the Midwest Saturday, and the Saturday dinner would not be in the Bay Area.

I have to watch games either by myself or with one or both of my sons. No one else of my friends or in my family understands. My behavior is usually a little better when I watch the replay, but on occasion, even worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: corbi296
LOL your first resolution issue drives me crazy. Happens way too often

Easybay. The 3 man rush at NU is truly mystifying. It has worked occassionally when NU had control of games and solid D lineman where NU controlled the line of scrimmage any way.. doing well rushing 4. HISTORICALLY IT HAS BEEN TERRIBLE...A defense if retreat allowing the offense to throw a dagger in a situation where NU had the upper hand. This was epitomized Vs Nebraska on the "Immaculate Protection" play where the NU 3 were swallowed up allowing the Nebraska QB a free shot throwing his whole body unmolested to get a ball to the end zone that he could not have done with the lightest of pressure. Hank let Nebraska throw the lucky dagger. Dont even have to elaborate on the game. PS Hank . Love the 3 straight Bowl wins just rush 3 sparingly.

Reactions: drewjin
Last season, I was tensely watching a game and one of our guys dropped the ball. I don't recall who. I shouted "catch the effing (not f***ing) ball!!" To which my then-five year old said "what's an effing ball?"

What is wrong with us?

It’s an illness. I had it bad. Really bad. For longer than I care to admit. How hard do you think it is to tell your wife you need to buy a new remote control? Again, more stories than I care to discuss. It’s also an illness that is often inherited by your offspring. Keep an eye on that. One of my sons believes that every good tackle of a ND player is an obvious personal foul call missed only by the blind d-bag ref.

My cure came when I came to grips with the reality that the quality of my Fall weekends was being dictated by forces I had no control over. How dumb is that?

I still carry the banner of extreme fandom. And my conduct is no less suspect at times. At last year’s Nebby game my wife and I had to leave the stadium in the 4th quarter. We moved to watching the game at Let’s Tailgate. Then we had to finish the game at our son’s house nearby. One realignment of the stars wasn’t enough. But the last one did the trick.

GOUNUII

Reactions: stpaulcat
Easybay. The 3 man rush at NU is truly mystifying. It has worked occassionally when NU had control of games and solid D lineman where NU controlled the line of scrimmage any way.. doing well rushing 4. HISTORICALLY IT HAS BEEN TERRIBLE...A defense if retreat allowing the offense to throw a dagger in a situation where NU had the upper hand. This was epitomized Vs Nebraska on the "Immaculate Protection" play where the NU 3 were swallowed up allowing the Nebraska QB a free shot throwing his whole body unmolested to get a ball to the end zone that he could not have done with the lightest of pressure. Hank let Nebraska throw the lucky dagger. Dont even have to elaborate on the game. PS Hank . Love the 3 straight Bowl wins just rush 3 sparingly.
Wrassler claims to have solved that problem, but it is obvious he did not. Much of my hysteria during games has been when we line up with three down linemen in a clutch pass situation. WHAAAAAAT!!!

My cure came when I came to grips with the reality that the quality of my Fall weekends was being dictated by forces I had no control over. How dumb is that?

For me it was Ohio State in 2013. That game really changed my life. I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack just from being too emotionally involved. I hardly recognize myself from pictures of me from that day. After that I told myself I can never get too up or too down about what these 20-year-olds I’ve never met are doing. I have a long way to go, but my Saturdays have been better for me emotionally and physically.

I think I am level headed as a Cats fan and keep a positive and healthy perspective regardless of how the ball bounces.

But one thing I cannot deny: when we lose, it impacts my mood for at least 3 hours, no matter what I tell myself.
It totally destroys dinner after the game with friends. I just want to be alone and depressed.

Last season, I was tensely watching a game and one of our guys dropped the ball. I don't recall who. I shouted "catch the effing (not f***ing) ball!!" To which my then-five year old said "what's an effing ball?"

What is wrong with us?
My wife, who is not a football fan, mocks me all the time. "Catch the ball!", she loves to shout.

For me it was Ohio State in 2013. That game really changed my life. I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack just from being too emotionally involved. I hardly recognize myself from pictures of me from that day. After that I told myself I can never get too up or too down about what these 20-year-olds I’ve never met are doing. I have a long way to go, but my Saturdays have been better for me emotionally and physically.

Nov.2nd, 2013. My birthday.

Ron Kellogg, UNL's backup QB, pulls off the Hail Mary pass to Jordan Westerkamp to beat the Cats, 27-24.

I lost my sh*t. DirecTV remote was thrown and shattered. F-bombs to the skies were screamed. The kids cried, the dog fled. The wife was incredulous. And I was immediately the most ashamed of myself as I've ever been. That wasn't the first time I'd succumbed to the dark side of a Cats game outcome, but it was definitely the last. All the wasted, ridiculous, ruinous emotion over the outcome of a game played by a bunch of kids, which will have absolutely no tangible impact on your life. Unless you let it.

Now? I watch the games, I cheer, I groan, I celebrate, or I flush it. And then I go on with the rest of my weekend. The kids still laugh at the memory of Dad's tantrum, and the dog keeps a wary eye on me when the clock hits kick-off and I tune in.

Ron Kellogg, UNL's backup QB, pulls off the Hail Mary pass to Jordan Westerkamp to beat the Cats, 27-24.

I lost my sh*t. DirecTV remote was thrown and shattered. F-bombs to the skies were screamed. The kids cried, the dog fled. The wife was incredulous. And I was immediately the most ashamed of myself as I've ever been. That wasn't the first time I'd succumbed to the dark side of a Cats game outcome, but it was definitely the last. All the wasted, ridiculous, ruinous emotion over the outcome of a game played by a bunch of kids, which will have absolutely no tangible impact on your life. Unless you let it.

Now? I watch the games, I cheer, I groan, I celebrate, or I flush it. And then I go on with the rest of my weekend. The kids still laugh at the memory of Dad's tantrum, and the dog keeps a wary eye on me when the clock hits kick-off and I tune in.

For me, it was Michigan State 4th quarter comeback. I was so disgusted that I dropped my STs for a few years until the arrival of JJtBC.

Reactions: MickeyCat

See people! What I do is I come on here and I post horrible, ignorant, totally emotionally driven things on this board instead of damaging property or persons. I know many of you hate it, but you are really doing a service for me and my family by allowing me to continue posting here on gamedays.

Y’all should take to posting on the game thread. Great place to release the stressors and, after losses, those threads quickly disappear leaving no evidence of your rants :D

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

That game made me lose it like I have never lost it before. It was not one of my finer moments.

This season:

I promise to not set off my neighbor’s yippie little dog by screaming obscenities at the TV when the Cats’ pass coverage breaks down on a 3rd and 25 while they rush 3, yielding a 26 yard completion.

I promise not to threaten to withhold my annual fund contribution when the offense runs between tackles for less than 4 on eleven consecutive first downs.

I promise to not ruin a Saturday dinner at a really good Bay Area restaurant by obsessing to my wife about how the refs had interpreted the pass interference rule unevenly to the detriment of the Cats that day.

I imagine I will break all three promises before September is done. I would say before August is done, but I will be in the Midwest Saturday, and the Saturday dinner would not be in the Bay Area.

I thought I would respond to myself, because yesterday’s game didn’t ruin our Saturday night dinner. After the fourth PI call I almost went over to the dark side, but I pulled myself back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT