ADVERTISEMENT

My story: Fitz defends O'Neil, defense

Thank you, Lou. My comments below reflect my opinions on Fitz and the program, not your fine reporting. Keep grinding.

"coach Pat Fitzgerald was in rare form during his Monday press conference. Using a mix of humor, condescension, positivity and clichés"

Same old same old

"We’re still putting together that side of the ball,” he added. “We’re not there yet.”

Nineteen games and 2 full off-seasons. Not there yet. Not close. Schedule ahead will show that we aren't even close to "there yet".

"The coach who coined the phrase “stats are for losers” understands that only wins and losses count."

Same coach who says 'you are who your record says you are ', i.e. the 120th best team in FBS.

"It was just the kind of big play that O’Neil’s defense has surrendered all season."

Don't forget last season.

"Fitzgerald said he evaluates several criteria when assessing O’Neil’s defense. He thinks they are structurally sound. He thinks they play good team defense. He thinks that they are organized as a staff. He thinks they make the appropriate adjustments."

Wrong x4. Every one of these is incorrect.

He refuses to admit the buddy hire was a colossal mistake. He will get paid and only players and fans will suffer. Dr. Gragg, please rescue us.

My first couple years at NU I lived with a house with a house mother who hired the cook. The first cook we had served some of the most awfullest $%#@ you ever saw on a plate. One of the brothers drew a cartoon with the cook standing before the open oven with a snow shovel full of smoldering muck asking, "What are we gonna call it today, Mrs. A?" Fitz is serving the same stuff.

Somebody close to the program here opined JON would not be here next year, but Fitz Of Denial is ready to give him a 10 year contract.

All that Fitz has accomplished has been thrown away and Fitz has done it and is still doing it. Anybody who thinks Fitz is going to turn it around is delusional as he is.

Somebody please imagine a way to make NU competitive again. I doubt it will be with Fitz as HC.

WASS.

Lou, this article is a real credit to you. As well written a deconstruction of the program as I've seen.

Terrific points throughout on the state of the program as well as Fitz and JON.

At some point, the fact that opposing teams can rip off "home run runs" against us regularly is a serious flaw in the defense. Doesn't matter how well we play 90% of the game if the other 10% is total defensive collapse.

Literally the first play of JON's defense was that, and we see it nearly every game.

Thank you, Lou. My comments below reflect my opinions on Fitz and the program, not your fine reporting. Keep grinding.

"coach Pat Fitzgerald was in rare form during his Monday press conference. Using a mix of humor, condescension, positivity and clichés"

Same old same old

"We’re still putting together that side of the ball,” he added. “We’re not there yet.”

Nineteen games and 2 full off-seasons. Not there yet. Not close. Schedule ahead will show that we aren't even close to "there yet".

"The coach who coined the phrase “stats are for losers” understands that only wins and losses count."

Same coach who says 'you are who your record says you are ', i.e. the 120th best team in FBS.

"It was just the kind of big play that O’Neil’s defense has surrendered all season."

Don't forget last season.

"Fitzgerald said he evaluates several criteria when assessing O’Neil’s defense. He thinks they are structurally sound. He thinks they play good team defense. He thinks that they are organized as a staff. He thinks they make the appropriate adjustments."

Wrong x4. Every one of these is incorrect.

He refuses to admit the buddy hire was a colossal mistake. He will get paid and only players and fans will suffer. Dr. Gragg, please rescue us.
I will offer this defense of Fitz:

He has to say this exactly as he stated up until the moment that he decides to change course.

There is no way that Fitz would undermine somebody on the staff until the moment when it's time to change course. It's very possible that Fitz already realizes that this may not work out, but until the moment when JON is let go, he has to put on the face that everything is going to work out...

This is basic leadership strategy for a public figure in a position like Fitz. The real moment of truth will be what happens in the offseason. Everything else doesn't mean all that much.

He has to say this exactly as he stated up until the moment that he decides to change course.

There is no way that Fitz would undermine somebody on the staff until the moment when it's time to change course. It's very possible that Fitz already realizes that this may not work out, but until the moment when JON is let go, he has to put on the face that everything is going to work out...

This is basic leadership strategy for a public figure in a position like Fitz. The real moment of truth will be what happens in the offseason. Everything else doesn't mean all that much.
I’m with you for much of the way. However, I marveled at "Our program has never been stronger than it is today. We've just had six tough days."

We had that real moment of truth last December. Guess what happened?

Not hopeful this time.
Let’s be optimistic: if JON is as good as recruiting as we hope then maybe he can get more DTs like Holmes that can handle the B1G OL double teams. The incoming recruits on defense should add speed, but we also need more beef.

Fitz will likely give him another year or two. But I’ve been wrong before.

I am ok with this, but his stubbornness/indecisiveness/cluelessness is killing us. Ryan Day demoted Kerry Coombs after one bad game, and hired a top replacement in the off-season. WHY WAIT??

I disagree. It's time for a bit of, "this is completely unacceptable for our program and where we want to be. We will fix it, and if we don't people will be held accountable!" If you really think this is fixable, let the fans know you are not completely blind, tone deaf, and abrasive. His criticism of the fans, and his self-justification are far from winsome. They alienate the core fan base. Doesn't he see the empty seats? He will!

And great story Lou V!! Keep up the great work! Go Cats!!

I guess improvement is ok when you go from last place defense to 3rd to last place. Thats improvement enough for Fitz I guess.

Reactions: drewjin
I would think that Fitz would have laid goals where he expect a top 60 minimum defense and offense. Anything lower should be considered job threatening. Top 45-60 should be considered a C to C- grade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT