ADVERTISEMENT

My story on QB1, Brendan Sullivan

Nice piece. It's been a while since we had a "guy" at QB.

No news about his status for this Saturday (and beyond)?

His mobility seems like it’s as much due to awareness as quickness/athleticism (this is a compliment!). Our recent 4* transfer QBs are not necessarily that much less “mobile” but they often just couldn’t get a feel for the rush and ended up taking sacks, sack-fumbles, wobbly INTs, etc. Sully seems more confident of where he is in the pocket, and when to step up, etc. I think that will lead to more overall completions than a strong blue chip arm.

Nice piece Lou!

But one correction,...

It was the kind of athletic play from a true dual-threat QB that Northwestern hasn’t seen since the days of Kain Colter or Dan Persa.

- Colter was not a true dual-threat; if he were, there wouldn't have been the platoon w/ Siemian.

When Colter started running, he pretty much turned into a running back; he rarely extended passing plays w/ his legs like Persa (even Siemian was better at that than Colter).

That play by Sully totally reminded me of Persa (it was great to see!).

When Persa pretty much was limited to being a pocket passer after his injury, he still put up big passing numbers.

That's something Colter wouldn't have been able to do.

And to be a truly elite dual-threat, you need to be able to extend passing plays with your legs.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Nice piece Lou!

But one correction,...

It was the kind of athletic play from a true dual-threat QB that Northwestern hasn’t seen since the days of Kain Colter or Dan Persa.

- Colter was not a true dual-threat; if he were, there wouldn't have been the platoon w/ Siemian.

When Colter started running, he pretty much turned into a running back; he rarely extended passing plays w/ his legs like Persa (even Siemian was better at that than Colter).

That play by Sully totally reminded me of Persa (it was great to see!).

When Persa pretty much was limited to being a pocket passer after his injury, he still put up big passing numbers.

That's something Colter wouldn't have been able to do.

And to be a truly elite dual-threat, you need to be able to extend passing plays with your legs.
That’s a valid point. Colter was a little bit better passer than he was given credit for, but you’re right that he was run-first…and second and third. Persa is probably a better comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT