ADVERTISEMENT

My story on today's Zoom call with Fitz

Believe it or not, coach Pat Fitzgerald says the COVID-19 lockdown as been 'a great asset' in learning a new offense.

Accelerated learning

Late Spring and Summer are typically very heavy weight-training and conditioning periods. Would be interested to hear how the hell players can train and lift weights while maintaining some semblance of social distancing. I’m guessing the conditioning aspect of the pandemic for all athletic programs will be seriously impacted.

Not just at NU, but I wonder how college football teams are dealing with this. More than almost any other sport, the weight room time is absolutely critical in football not only for competing but for injury prevention.

Late Spring and Summer are typically very heavy weight-training and conditioning periods. Would be interested to hear how the hell players can train and lift weights while maintaining some semblance of social distancing. I’m guessing the conditioning aspect of the pandemic for all athletic programs will be seriously impacted.

Not just at NU, but I wonder how college football teams are dealing with this. More than almost any other sport, the weight room time is absolutely critical in football not only for competing but for injury prevention.
Worry not, sir. Our grandfathers won on the gridiron - and more importantly the battlefield - without modern weightlifting or stretching.

Check out Bob Wylie, former NFL OL coach who won our hearts in 2018’s Hard Knocks. We needed pushups, sit-ups, jumping jacks to storm Normandy... that’s it.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ame...ommon-practice-overrated-right-163309860.html

Did anyone ever ask Major Dick Winters or the Easy Company if they missed out on hang cleans or incline benches?

Did you ever see Rocky? You can chop wood. Move carcasses of beef (and punch them) at the meat packing factory. Pull your car with a harness. One handed push ups.

All sorts of ways to stay do weight and strength training. Just have to be creative and watch some Rocky.

Did you ever see Rocky? You can chop wood. Move carcasses of beef (and punch them) at the meat packing factory. Pull your car with a harness. One handed push ups.

All sorts of ways to stay do weight and strength training. Just have to be creative and watch some Rocky.
I would like to keep our players away from meatpacking plants right now. Other than that I agree there are creative ways to train.

If I recall, one of the reasons Fitz hired the Strength coach from OSU was because of hsi out of the box thoughts on strength training.

Though, I also believe there was some concern a few years ago that we may have gone too far in that direction.

ADVERTISEMENT