ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Hinton Commits to Stanford

Can’t fault the kid for choosing Stanford but the offspring of 2 varsity athletes at NU doesn’t go to Evanston is disappointing. I have to believe the fact that we don’t develop offensive lineman had to play a part
Anderson should help with your primary concern. However, let’s not forget: the program was circling the drain when their father played in Evanston. I’m sure seeing the student section empty against Wisconsin and Notre Dame didn’t bring back a lot of great memories for their family either.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times: Ryan Field needs to be packed with purple- (or black)-dressed fans cheering as hard for our team as the opposing fans do for theirs at their home fields. Recruits want to play in front of large crowds who are cheering for them.

I don’t care if Phillips has to give away those tickets to local high schools for free: pack them with purple loyalists and not opposing fans (or nothing), and for the love of God try to finally generate a home field advantage.

Anderson should help with your primary concern. However, let’s not forget: the program was circling the drain when their father played in Evanston. I’m sure seeing the student section empty against Wisconsin and Notre Dame didn’t bring back a lot of great memories for their family either.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times: Ryan Field needs to be packed with purple- (or black)-dressed fans cheering as hard for our team as the opposing fans do for theirs at their home fields. Recruits want to play in front of large crowds who are cheering for them.

I don’t care if Phillips has to give away those tickets to local high schools for free: pack them with purple loyalists and not opposing fans (or nothing), and for the love of God try to finally generate a home field advantage.
If you can find 45000 die hard Cat fans to attend every game you would win the Presidential Medal of Honor.

It's too bad, but Stanford is the better school with an arguably more beautiful campus. How many schools in this academic stata offer national football programs? Us and them and Duke.

It's too bad, but Stanford is the better school with an arguably more beautiful campus. How many schools in this academic stata offer national football programs? Us and them and Duke.

The Stanford campus is boring to me. It is like one of those planned communities where everything has to look the same. As I recall there is a lake somewhere on the campus but it is nothing compared to our lake. One can make a case for one school being better than the other one depending on one's major or interests but IMHO the football program is no better at Stanford than it is at Northwestern, with NU actually having the upper edge given the new facilities and coaching stability.

I spent three years in California after my graduation from Northwestern, and I found the weather there boring as well. (OK, pleasantly boring.) Give me the change of seasons with Fall and Spring, as can be experienced on the Evanston campus anytime. (OK, excluding a month or two in the winter.)

Last edited:
1. Agree that Stanford's campus is kinda bland (in a nice-enough way).
2. Stanford seems to have coaching stability (at least w/ Shaw)
3. It's not like Stanford doesn't have its own attendance issues.

But having said that, can see why a kid (w/ strong NU ties) would opt to play at/attend Stanford.

Reactions: rmndcat
1. Agree that Stanford's campus is kinda bland (in a nice-enough way).
2. Stanford seems to have coaching stability (at least w/ Shaw)
3. It's not like Stanford doesn't have its own attendance issues.

But having said that, can see why a kid (w/ strong NU ties) would opt to play at/attend Stanford.
#3 answers a couple of posts above. It's not like Stanford packed them in with red. Their alumni base is similarly spread out and indifferent

The Stanford campus is boring to me. It is like one of those planned communities where everything has to look the same. As I recall there is a lake somewhere on the campus but it is nothing compared to our lake. One can make a case for one school being better than the other one depending on one's major or interests but IMHO the football program is no better at Stanford than it is at Northwestern, with NU actually having the upper edge given the new facilities and coaching stability.

I spent three years in California after my graduation from Northwestern, and I found the weather there boring as well. (OK, pleasantly boring.) Give me the change of seasons with Fall and Spring, as can be experienced on the Evanston campus anytime. (OK, excluding a month or two in the winter.)
I think you can make a strong argument that NU’s football program is at least equivalent to Stanford’s right now. The issue is perception and if you asked fans/media/ perspective players which is a better program, the overwhelming majority would say Stanford. Even a win to open next season won’t change that perception.

NU needs to win the Big to alter this narrative. NU needs to play in NY6 bowl games. NU needs to take care of business in the OOC schedule. NU needs a Heisman Hype player like Bryce Love. Until this happens, barring a Stanford collapse to mediocrity, Stanford will beat us out for recruits.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
I think you can make a strong argument that NU’s football program is at least equivalent to Stanford’s right now. The issue is perception and if you asked fans/media/ perspective players which is a better program, the overwhelming majority would say Stanford. Even a win to open next season won’t change that perception.

NU needs to win the Big to alter this narrative. NU needs to play in NY6 bowl games. NU needs to take care of business in the OOC schedule. NU needs a Heisman Hype player like Bryce Love. Until this happens, barring a Stanford collapse to mediocrity, Stanford will beat us out for recruits.
Yep; going forward it looks like we've closed the gap, but the past decade of results is what shapes the narrative that Stanford is head and shoulders ahead of us.

3 Pac-12 championships, 5 division titles, 5 NY6 bowl appearances with 2 Rose Bowl wins and an Orange Bowl win, 4 top 10 finishes and 3 other top 25 finishes.

That's a loaded resume. We need to close the gap there to win more recruiting battles.

Last edited:
Yep; going forward it looks like we've closed the gap, but the past decade of results is what shapes the narrative that Stanford is head and shoulders ahead of us.

3 Pac-12 championships, 5 division titles, 5 NY6 bowl appearances with 2 Rose Bowl wins and an Orange Bowl win, 4 top 10 finishes and 3 other top 25 finishes.

That's a loaded resume. We need that close the gap there to win more recruiting battles.
Yup. The argument that we’re even close to Stanford makes no sense to me until we win the Big Ten (twice), have a couple of Top 10 finishes, and compete in the truly premier bowls. It’s been almost 20 years since our last championship.

We’ve won the Big Ten West... let me check... once. I love the momentum of our team and program, but we’ve got a *lot* of work to do to come close to Stanford’s recent body of work.

Yup. The argument that we’re even close to Stanford makes no sense to me until we win the Big Ten (twice), have a couple of Top 10 finishes, and compete in the truly premier bowls. It’s been almost 20 years since our last championship.

We’ve won the Big Ten West... let me check... once. I love the momentum of our team and program, but we’ve got a *lot* of work to do to come close to Stanford’s recent body of work.

Trend lines headed in opposite directions though.

Reactions: drewjin
The OL coach at Stanford is actually a local product, Kevin Carberry [Oak Lawn native, St. Rita H.S.], who was a four-year player at Ohio U and coached in the NFL for several seasons. Was a great hire by Shaw.

The OL coach at Stanford is actually a local product, Kevin Carberry [Oak Lawn native, St. Rita H.S.], who was a four-year player at Ohio U and coached in the NFL for several seasons. Was a great hire by Shaw.

The guy's a South Sider. He propbably grew up withing 4-5 miles of me. And I grew up 2 miles from St. Rita. Went to Brother Rice, though.

Stanford football is one of my pet peeves. Yes, they have been very good for a period of time, but

A) they were mediocre forever before that. No dark ages, but never considered an equal of USC for any stretch. Look it up - Shaw is the second coach since the 40s to have a . 600+ win percent. Yes, better than we were, but for sure nouveau riche.

B) if their Renaissance coach had been anyone else except hairball, they'd basically be Utah. Successful but unnoticed

What I'd like is for their failures or current ordinary performance to be accepted as the norm as quickly as their rise under hairball was immediately accepted to allow them in the top 10 rarefied air with the SEC, Clemson and dOSU.

Why do we somehow have the stench of 1980s dog crap on our shoe, when, (I think but am too lazy to confirm), we have largely the same record since our favorite reference year? Even in the wildly successful Shaw era, far and away their most successful, Fitz has been about 1 fewer win a year.

They are not all that great. They are Utah. And we beat Utah. And Stanford

Reactions: drewjin
Stanford football is one of my pet peeves. Yes, they have been very good for a period of time, but

A) they were mediocre forever before that. No dark ages, but never considered an equal of USC for any stretch. Look it up - Shaw is the second coach since the 40s to have a . 600+ win percent. Yes, better than we were, but for sure nouveau riche.

B) if their Renaissance coach had been anyone else except hairball, they'd basically be Utah. Successful but unnoticed

What I'd like is for their failures or current ordinary performance to be accepted as the norm as quickly as their rise under hairball was immediately accepted to allow them in the top 10 rarefied air with the SEC, Clemson and dOSU.

Why do we somehow have the stench of 1980s dog crap on our shoe, when, (I think but am too lazy to confirm), we have largely the same record since our favorite reference year? Even in the wildly successful Shaw era, far and away their most successful, Fitz has been about 1 fewer win a year.

It's more than that. There's Silicon Valley, San Francisco, the weather, truly hot girls, a spacious tree filled campus, and the best overall athletic success in the country over the past many years when you consider all sports.

What does it say about Michigan, that Hinton chooses Stanford? Hintons brother plays there, maybe the family is not as impressed with Harbaugh as the media.

As I pointed out before NU is more competitive with Stanford on midwestern kids, but loses most of the recruits from the south and west we compete for. Their academic reputation and location is a real draw for kids.

The long term trend for the Big10 is the challenge for “warm weather” recruits.

But if you are looking for a full stadium, Stanford is not the place either. I was at the Washington State game this year for Stanford homecoming. Probably 3/4 full for the most important game of the year. Same issues as NU, small alumni base.

And they already built the big new stadium, to little effect. Should be a cautionary tale for NU, “build it and they will come” not so much...

The guy's a South Sider. He propbably grew up withing 4-5 miles of me. And I grew up 2 miles from St. Rita. Went to Brother Rice, though.
My bad, his dad grew up in Oak Lawn [St Catherine's] and I thought he was also in Oak Lawn as the family were Lawn Aqua members.

Great guy. Great family. Great coach.

And they already built the big new stadium, to little effect. Should be a cautionary tale for NU, “build it and they will come” not so much...
Actually, the built a new "little" stadium, replacing the old 84,000 seat stadium with a more intimate 50,424 ballpark.

Judging from the smattering of stories related to his decision, NU was not even in the running.

Judging from the smattering of stories related to his decision, NU was not even in the running.
We don't know why he did or not consider NU. I'm not sure it's helpful to speculate on many reasons why we might imagine someone would bypass NU. But we do know that someone else will gladly accept that scholarship, given all the same downsides we know so well.

Because their version of Pat Ryan (John Arrillaga) started giving in large amounts before Pat Ryan.

https://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Silent-Partner-Billionaire-Arrillaga-has-2948340.php

We were in his top five as of July. Don't know if our craptastic start to the season hurt us with him. Stanford's off year didn't seem to hurt them though.

Palo Alto is nicer than Evanston, food is better, more bars and nightlife, and the Stanford golf course is way better than Peter N Jans. Their University Avenue is a lot more happening than ours. Weather may be boring to some, but I call it beautiful.

Also, they aren't exactly Noveau Riche. They've won 15 conference titles (4th most in the Pac after UCLA, USC, and Washington - more than Oregon) and pretty steadily over the years, with the 80's being a drought decade. If Notre Dame had Rockne and Ara, they had Walter Camp, Pop Warner, and Bill Walsh.

While they have no Nagurski's or Bednarik's, they have won every big time trophy on the Offensive side of the ball. Alums include Jim Plunkett, John Elway, and Andrew Luck.

I'd still personally rather be a Cat.

#GOCATS

Reactions: SciCat and drewjin
Palo Alto is nicer than Evanston, food is better, more bars and nightlife, and the Stanford golf course is way better than Peter N Jans. Their University Avenue is a lot more happening than ours. Weather may be boring to some, but I call it beautiful.

Also, they aren't exactly Noveau Riche. They've won 15 conference titles (4th most in the Pac after UCLA, USC, and Washington - more than Oregon) and pretty steadily over the years, with the 80's being a drought decade. If Notre Dame had Rockne and Ara, they had Walter Camp, Pop Warner, and Bill Walsh.

While they have no Nagurski's or Bednarik's, they have won every big time trophy on the Offensive side of the ball. Alums include Jim Plunkett, John Elway, and Andrew Luck.

I'd still personally rather be a Cat.

#GOCATS

But I thought there was no reason we can’t accomplish what they have...

But I thought there was no reason we can’t accomplish what they have...

No you didn't, but there really isn't reason we can't accomplish what they have.

Those advantages are hardly insurmountable. Other programs are able to recruit successfully despite having crappy weather. dOSU, Michigan, Notre Dame included. As nice as Palo Alto is, Evanston is still nicer than most college hick towns and then when you add Chicago to the equation, almost nothing beats NU from a culture and cosmopolitan accessibility standpoint. Everything is an hour drive away in LA. Palo Alto still hard to get to down town SF. No Division I in NYC. Boston is not as nice as Chicago.

We have the best facilities in the Nation.

We have a fantastic coach and culture that kids will want to play for and they commit to.

Stanford has a great degree, but NU is no slouch. The difference is not so wide that we can't win our share based on all the advantages.

The one thing that we have against us in track record in the pro's, but that is starting to be chipped away and not completely barren.

Barnett recruited fantastic classes and beat the world for recruits with a far weaker deck handed to him. We've got pocket Kings now. Not the nuts, but not a throw away hand at all (where as Barnett stole pots with trash). Winning the pot depends on a little luck, but also how Fitz can play it from here.

No you didn't, but there really isn't reason we can't accomplish what they have.

Those advantages are hardly insurmountable. Other programs are able to recruit successfully despite having crappy weather. dOSU, Michigan, Notre Dame included. As nice as Palo Alto is, Evanston is still nicer than most college hick towns and then when you add Chicago to the equation, almost nothing beats NU from a culture and cosmopolitan accessibility standpoint. Everything is an hour drive away in LA. Palo Alto still hard to get to down town SF. No Division I in NYC. Boston is not as nice as Chicago.

We have the best facilities in the Nation.

We have a fantastic coach and culture that kids will want to play for and they commit to.

Stanford has a great degree, but NU is no slouch. The difference is not so wide that we can't win our share based on all the advantages.

The one thing that we have against us in track record in the pro's, but that is starting to be chipped away and not completely barren.

Barnett recruited fantastic classes and beat the world for recruits with a far weaker deck handed to him. We've got pocket Kings now. Not the nuts, but not a throw away hand at all (where as Barnett stole pots with trash). Winning the pot depends on a little luck, but also how Fitz can play it from here.

Does not compute.

Winning more division titles (much less conference titles) would help, but think Stanford regularly sending O-linemen to the NFL (and often in the 1st rnd) has more to do w/ it.

Who knows if HJ would have transferred to Evanston if the 'Cats hadn't sent a couple of QBs to the NFL (Kafka, Siemian); Atkinson made reference to it.

ADVERTISEMENT