ADVERTISEMENT

NABC wants SAT and ACT eliminated as an eligibility requirement

Since this is the basketball board, at this point I will agree to disagree with you on whether the use of test preparation that is largely unavailable to one segment of the population is a useful tool in evaluating and contextualizing differing test scores between those populations.
Find a way to make it available. Bake sale. Raffle. Don't be like the crabs that pull the other crabs back into the bucket when they try to climb out. Find a way to lift all the crabs out instead.

If I worked a summer job so that I could pay for my own Kaplan course and used my own rare free time in high school to study for the SAT, how do you contextualize that with your question? And really, what business is it of yours?

I always love the " I did it so why cant everyone else, be like me ?" good for you,,,
Test prep does help....the same way taking the test again does....research shows that most students improve a little the first time they retake and then there is little improvement the 3rd or 4th time,,,,test prep is similar,,,it helps familiarize students with the test, which helps and some other stuff....but not as significantly as reading comprehension or general knowledge . Research shows that kids need to be reading at grade level by 3rd or 4th grade or it is extremely difficult to catch up...it becomes a snowball rolling down hill.....I do not know if there is research out there but I bet you could take 3rd and 4th grade and predict success on the SAT/ACT.......It is why when we look at schools like Evanston public schools who have a racial/ income gap on test scores in their elementary schools...early education and getting at grade level early is important if eventually close the gap..........This is a problem related to poverty, cultural favoritism and educational opportunities. I do not have any ideas what the answer is .But there are probably for sure , smart kids who have not been admitted to good schools because their intelligence did not translate to standardized test scores.

ADVERTISEMENT