ADVERTISEMENT

Name your favorite random Wildcat

Just gonna ask... who was the most underrated player on the roster in your career @MRCat95 ?

It’s hard to say because I don’t know who’s rated where by whom.

The OL was generally underrated as a whole, but Janus and Chabot were absolute beasts. A lot of other guys were too on the 95 and 96 OL, but those 2 guys probably aren’t mentioned by name nearly enough. I got to sample our OL every day in practice and other than perhaps Michigan (1995), they were the best and most physical group I ever played against. Games were usually easy compared to practice.

If you go back and look at that offense. Most of was, “We’re going to run right here. We dare you to stop it.” The OL was good enough to be effective doing that.

Everyone knows the DB group in 95 was studs, but the focus is often on the corners and nickel back (deservedly). However, the safeties, Will Bennett and Eric Collier were big time difference makers too. Go back and watch a few games and both those guys are making plays all over the place.

Danny Sutter was a hell of a Will LB (we called it Hawk LB) too that perhaps is under appreciated because he played next to a hall of fame guy in Fitz.

Mine is Doug Szymul.
My other one is Jeravin Matthews.

Doug Szymul was an embarrassment to NU football. Was caught on film multiple times punching dudes in the balls and grabbing their junk. That's just not the way the game should be played. No wonder our defenses sucked in his day. Apparently Colby was teaching kids to go for the balls instead of wrapping up and making tackles.

Jonathan Fields was the guy. Also had a good game in 2004 at Penn State.

But my nominee, which dates me: Andy Cvercko. I think No Chores will second the motion.
I will indeed! And, will add brother Jack Cvercko, also an All American, who was my roommate and once graced the cover of Sports Illustrated. Jack autographed my copy and it hangs on the wall of my den.

Reactions: FloridAlum

The OL was generally underrated as a whole, but Janus and Chabot were absolute beasts. A lot of other guys were too on the 95 and 96 OL, but those 2 guys probably aren’t mentioned by name nearly enough. I got to sample our OL every day in practice and other than perhaps Michigan (1995), they were the best and most physical group I ever played against. Games were usually easy compared to practice.

If you go back and look at that offense. Most of was, “We’re going to run right here. We dare you to stop it.” The OL was good enough to be effective doing that.

Everyone knows the DB group in 95 was studs, but the focus is often on the corners and nickel back (deservedly). However, the safeties, Will Bennett and Eric Collier were big time difference makers too. Go back and watch a few games and both those guys are making plays all over the place.

Danny Sutter was a hell of a Will LB (we called it Hawk LB) too that perhaps is under appreciated because he played next to a hall of fame guy in Fitz.
Hey Matt, how about Ismaili?

Chabot was a helluva player. He had a season in the League, and now is a scouting director with the Niners.

Doug Szymul was an embarrassment to NU football. Was caught on film multiple times punching dudes in the balls and grabbing their junk. That's just not the way the game should be played. No wonder our defenses sucked in his day. Apparently Colby was teaching kids to go for the balls instead of wrapping up and making tackles.

WTF is wrong with you?

Reactions: Gladeskat

Ideally, I think Fitz would like to replicate that type of team. Extremely physical on the OL to the point where a defense can know what’s coming but the offensive physicality and execution is so good that it can’t be stopped. I see no reason why It can’t be done again.

Last edited:
Chabot was a helluva player. He had a season in the League, and now is a scouting director with the Niners.

I taught a workshop in stream bioassessment to school teachers at St. Vincent's college in the Summer of 1997. I recall hearing Chabot sing "Go U Northwestern" while eating lunch between practices at St. Vincent. The Steelers ate in a section of the dining hall that was separated from other diners by only portable dividers.

Reactions: nu greek
I see a lot of similarities between Fitz and Vrabel. I think the Titans today are going to prove once again that a good defense with a powerful ball control offense beats a high powered passing offense.
Tell us about your opinion of Blake Bortles while you’re at it.

I see a lot of similarities between Fitz and Vrabel. I think the Titans today are going to prove once again that a good defense with a powerful ball control offense beats a high powered passing offense.
Not really anymore. The 80’s yes. Look at the College National Champ each year. Like LSU this year, Clemson last year, Alabama before that. High powered offenses that can beat you and have fire power to come back. Ball control offenses get behind or turn the ball over, its game set match.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
Not really anymore. The 80’s yes. Look at the College National Champ each year. Like LSU this year, Clemson last year, Alabama before that. High powered offenses that can beat you and have fire power to come back. Ball control offenses get behind or turn the ball over, its game set match.
The best teams are the ones that can plausibly put up 50 points every week.

The team that could plausibly hold the other team in single digits every week no longer exists.

I don’t buy that. Just look at the game going on right now. A dominant defense and running game beats a dominant passing offense 9 out of 10 times. There just are not many teams out there who build their teams that way anymore. The 49ers have and it’s paying off. The super bowl should be a very good test of those two contrasting styles.

I don’t buy that. Just look at the game going on right now. A dominant defense and running game beats a dominant passing offense 9 out of 10 times. There just are not many teams out there who build their teams that way anymore. The 49ers have and it’s paying off. The super bowl should be a very good test of those two contrasting styles.
I actually think SF will upset KC. I think they are a rare recent example of this style winning at this level. Having said that, you need ability to score in this day and age. The rules favor scoring. Especially in college when you won’t have 4 DL that are first round picks and being cohesive is tough with early departures.

I just don’t see a ball control, complimentary defense team winning a Natty in College. In fact, I think it will be very rare this style will result in many P5 conference titles. Give me a team that can both run and pass as goods teams figure out how to stop one dimensional teams.

Not any more it doesn’t.

I actually think SF will upset KC. I think they are a rare recent example of this style winning at this level. Having said that, you need ability to score in this day and age. The rules favor scoring. Especially in college when you won’t have 4 DL that are first round picks and being cohesive is tough with early departures.

I just don’t see a ball control, complimentary defense team winning a Natty in College. In fact, I think it will be very rare this style will result in many P5 conference titles. Give me a team that can both run and pass as goods teams figure out how to stop one dimensional teams.

The games are won on the line of scrimmage. A dominant DL will disrupt a top QB’s passing attack. Conversely a dominant OL will enable you to control the ball and the clock. It’s not easy to build teams like that but when you do, they are hard to stop. I agree, SF will beat KC.

The games are won on the line of scrimmage. A dominant DL will disrupt a top QB’s passing attack. Conversely a dominant OL will enable you to control the ball and the clock. It’s not easy to build teams like that but when you do, they are hard to stop. I agree, SF will beat KC.

Dominant DL play was the recipe for the Giants two Super Bowl wins over the Patriots.

ADVERTISEMENT