ADVERTISEMENT

Nance/Young

Nance got 30 some minutes 6pts 3 rebounds
Ryan Young...got the start for Duke,,,,20 minutes....12 pts 6 rebounds
Young actually played 32 minutes and was 6 of 6 from the field with 5 offensive rebounds, 2 defensive rebounds and 3 steals. Only 7 guys played more than 4 minutes for Duke. Young started alongside a 7 footer who took 5 shots from 3 point range.

What a concept.

(Should be noted that Duke has another 7'1" freshman center who was the #1 rated high schooler. He missed the game due to an injury.)

Last edited:
Kopp continues to start, but looks like he will follow the same low-for-a-starter minutes trajectory he did last season.

Nine points, sixth on the team. Two threes, two free throws, three boards, zero dimes against Morehead St in a 35-point victory.

Reactions: Titanium999
Young actually played 32 minutes and was 6 of 6 from the field with 5 offensive rebounds, 2 defensive rebounds and 3 steals. Only 7 guys played more than 4 minutes for Duke. Young started alongside a 7 footer who took 5 shots from 3 point range.
yep my mistake...those stats were from the game on 11/2..... so if I am correct he is 11 of 12 from the field in two games.

If he's throwing down monster dunks at Duke, I'm really going to wonder why Coach Collins made him wear those ankle weights.
I watched the Duke and UNC games last night. Young and Nance looked very much like they did at NU. I am pretty sure that all six of Young’s baskets were near layups using his classic old-school moves. You know them well. His feet never left the floor, but he has such great hands and can finish efficiently. And he remains scrappy as hell. Nance was a non-factor offensively. That will not be his role on this UNC team, which has so many weapons. Nance will contribute defense, passing, and rebounds.

I watched the Duke and UNC games last night. Young and Nance looked very much like they did at NU. I am pretty sure that all six of Young’s baskets were near layups using his classic old-school moves. You know them well. His feet never left the floor, but he has such great hands and can finish efficiently. And he remains scrappy as hell. Nance was a non-factor offensively. That will not be his role on this UNC team, which has so many weapons. Nance will contribute defense, passing, and rebounds.
It must have been a surreal feeling for those guys playing in front of packed arenas filled with rabid fans. I looked in on both games and seeing them in white and blue uniforms was weird.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
Nance got 30 some minutes 6pts 3 rebounds
Ryan Young...got the start for Duke,,,,20 minutes....12 pts 6 rebounds

Boy, losing these guys hurt. A couple of starters for Duke and UNC the #7 and #1 teams in the nation. Who says NU doesn't have Power 5 talent?

Why didn't we effing play Ryan Young alongside Nance??? You can't effing tell me that Young comes off the bench for us last year and this year is a bona fide starter for Duke.

Reactions: drewjin
Young started for Duke because whitehead and lively are injured at this point in time. Minutes will go down when they comeback.

Why didn't we effing play Ryan Young alongside Nance??? You can't effing tell me that Young comes off the bench for us last year and this year is a bona fide starter for Duke.
I absolutely love Ryan Young and strongly agree that he should have been starting center at NU alongside Pete Nance at the stretch 4 (where, ironically, he plays now at UNC). With that said, the odds are very good that Young will not start and will get much more limited playing time once Whitehead and Lively return. As someone else noted, he was recruited as an experienced locker room presence and insurance policy in case one of the young phenoms gets injured.

Young never did the work to develop quickness and defensive acumen to play next to Nance, a true 5. You just give up too much if Young is forced to guard the 4.

Young is not a starter. He will be a 10mpg or less team mascot, and the crowd will just beeeeeeg him to take a 3 up by 20 in garbage time at some point this year.

But he should have started for three seasons at NU. Oh well.

• Haha
Reactions: GatoLouco
Young never did the work to develop quickness and defensive acumen to play next to Nance, a true 5. You just give up too much if Young is forced to guard the 4.

Young is not a starter. He will be a 10mpg or less team mascot, and the crowd will just beeeeeeg him to take a 3 up by 20 in garbage time at some point this year.

But he should have started for three seasons at NU. Oh well.
I agree that Young's defense is his weakness, but I disagree that Nance is a true 5. Thus the dilemma that CCC faced last year. But if I had been him, I would have found a way to play both together.

I agree that Young's defense is his weakness, but I disagree that Nance is a true 5. Thus the dilemma that CCC faced last year. But if I had been him, I would have found a way to play both together.
That’s my second joke in as many days to totally flop. Sorry.

Nance is nothing resembling a five and CCC wasted Young last season.

(Also, I don’t *think* six-foot bailout runners from outside the lane are a major part of NU offensive strategy, but maybe Mc really has encouraged that. I hope not.)

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Yeah we should try to be fair about Ryan Young.

He is not expected to be a starter for Duke. They have 2 of the top 5 freshman recruits in the country this year and they are both 7 feet tall. Those guys are not going to sit on the bench if they are healthy. They have a less heralded 7 foot freshman (#140 or so nationally) that Young will probably share backup minutes with.

On the other hand, it is sad that certain people are going out of their way to stress how little Young will play for Duke. He is not as good as the sure-fire NBA players that Duke has in their frontcourt. We all know that.

Does that really take Collins off the hook for his roster malpractice last year? I will root for Ryan Young, who gave it his best shot at NU, felt unappreciated and moved on to greener pastures.

Yeah we should try to be fair about Ryan Young.

He is not expected to be a starter for Duke. They have 2 of the top 5 freshman recruits in the country this year and they are both 7 feet tall. Those guys are not going to sit on the bench if they are healthy. They have a less heralded 7 foot freshman (#140 or so nationally) that Young will probably share backup minutes with.

On the other hand, it is sad that certain people are going out of their way to stress how little Young will play for Duke. He is not as good as the sure-fire NBA players that Duke has in their frontcourt. We all know that.

Does that really take Collins off the hook for his roster malpractice last year? I will root for Ryan Young, who gave it his best shot at NU, felt unappreciated and moved on to greener pastures.
I am rooting for Ryan as well. I understand why he felt under appreciated. But some of the posts have been in response to posts suggesting that he must be a great player because he's starting at Duke. Let's see if he is playing at the end of the year before reaching any conclusions. Really good college players (even ones with no NBA aspirations) generally don't want to play 5 minutes a half as a senior, so Duke's options were limited. I am not sure if the transfer from Harvard would have started at NU last year so getting a one-year scholarship from Duke does not necessarily validate your skill level. If Young is playing 15 minutes for a top 10 Duke team, then it's even clearer he should have gotten more minutes at NU.

And because Nance is playing the 4 at North Carolina, when their center is projected to be the ACC player of the year, is not determinative of where he should have played at NU. If Young was the best center in the B1G, I am pretty sure Nance would have been playing alongside him at the 4. I thought Nance was more effective offensively at the 5 since he struggles to create his own shot against guys that are as quick as him and had no low-post game (and we lacked other playmakers to create shots for him). I also thought the 2nd unit would have really struggled to score with Beran coming off the bench. Having said that, in games when Beran was a nonfactor (which was not infrequent) I thought Young and Nance should have played a lot more together in the 2nd half.

We were in a position to win enough games to go to the tournament (which has been the case about 5 times in the past 40 years) if we had played better in the last 5 minutes, so I have a hard time concluding that our offensive and defensive schemes were awful. In my opinion, Collins has failed to recruit any players consistently capable of getting to the basket and scoring or drawing fouls, which you need at the end of games. We wanted Nance to be that guy but he failed in several games. Buie is not a good finisher and Audige was an awful shooter last year. Young could be that guy against smaller opponents and should have gotten more opportunities.

They used a bad photo to illustrate that story. The photo came from UNC's lightly attended* exhibition game. By contrast, the season opener against UNC-W was packed and rocking.

*A lightly attended UNC exhibition game might have had more fans than most of NU's conference games last year.

To me all the guys that left went to teams where they have lesser roles and low expectations of them

It's easy to walk away when something gets hard instead of step up and be a leader.

You may not like the guys that stayed, but at least they are trying to make something of NU basketball.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
To me all the guys that left went to teams where they have lesser roles and low expectations of them

It's easy to walk away when something gets hard instead of step up and be a leader.

You may not like the guys that stayed, but at least they are trying to make something of NU basketball.
They put in four years and got their degrees.

If you’re bitter about graduates leaving for better opportunities, that’s on you.

Well if they got the degree then the can leave how is that on the coach.

They are good players not great.

They lived the dream of many kids that played basketball

Can anyone add Kopp to this discussion title so we can get all the “we really had fine talent on the team, but CCC is a moron” discussion conveniently placed in one thread?
I already replied to this silly comment, but I will try again because I don't see my response.

How is it okay for you to say "NU has no talent"
and horrible for most others to say "Collins doesn't know what he is doing."

NU had talent last year. This is widely acknowledged. Collins gets credit for recruiting those guys, but he failed to develop a winning team with those players.

I already replied to this silly comment, but I will try again because I don't see my response.

How is it okay for you to say "NU has no talent"
and horrible for most others to say "Collins doesn't know what he is doing."

NU had talent last year. This is widely acknowledged. Collins gets credit for recruiting those guys, but he failed to develop a winning team with those players.
Widely acknowledged by you, Gato and a few others. I stand by my opinion that NU did not, and does not have enough talent to contend for a B1G Title or make the real tourney. That doesn’t absolve CCC of any deficiencies. BTW, I didn’t start the thread on Nance and Young as it inevitably turns into “if they can start at Blue Bloods” why weren’t they saviors for NU. The fact that I don’t align with the board experts doesn’t make me wrong.

call it silly if you wish and continue to rehash the CCC doesn’t have a clue narrative all season. Expect nothing less, so why should you expect me to adhere your your comments as “widely acknowledged”.

Reactions: Sec.112
What? They both have a chance to make the final four or win a National Championship. NU may not win 8 games.
Young not good enough to play at NU but starting at Duke? Something is very wrong with that.
Young’s not ‘starting at Duke’. You know that.

He will only start a conference or competitive non-con game if there are major roster injuries.

That said, anybody who thinks he made the wrong or bad or ethically unsound or soft decision to leave is a big dumb dummy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT