ADVERTISEMENT

National QBR Rankings - ahhhhhhh

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
All due respect to Thorson, it has been back to the Dan Persa (/Kafka/Bazanez?) era since we have seen a QB stat like this at NU:

ESPN TOTAL QBR SEASON:
1 Justin Fields/OSU 97.0
2 Mac Jones/BAMA 96.6
3 Graham Mertz/WIS 95.8
4 Peyton Ramsey/NW 94.1
5 Joe Milton/MICH 93.0
6 Kyle Trask/FLA 92.7
7 Sean Clifford/PSU 91.2
8 Trevor Lawrence/CLEM 86.6
9 Stetson Bennett/UGA 86.5
10 Matt Corral/MISS 86.1

(Take your "sample size" and go fly a zeppelin)

All due respect to Thorson, it has been back to the Dan Persa (/Kafka/Bazanez?) era since we have seen a QB stat like this at NU:

ESPN TOTAL QBR SEASON:
1 Justin Fields/OSU 97.0
2 Mac Jones/BAMA 96.6
3 Graham Mertz/WIS 95.8
4 Peyton Ramsey/NW 94.1
5 Joe Milton/MICH 93.0
6 Kyle Trask/FLA 92.7
7 Sean Clifford/PSU 91.2
10 Matt Corral/MISS 86.1

Damn you ESPN it’s NU!

Damn you ESPN it’s NU!

I'm surprised that NW is still ESPN's preferred abbreviation for NU, given the presence of the "Purple Mafia". I would have figured that Wilbon would have lobbied the graphics department by now to change this. Perhaps it's just under their radar, but they have to be aware of how this annoys the fanbase...

Reminder to self: next time there is an event with Greenie or Wilbon in attendance, need to ask them about this...

ESPN TOTAL QBR SEASON:
1 Justin Fields/OSU 97.0
2 Mac Jones/BAMA 96.6
3 Graham Mertz/WIS 95.8
4 Peyton Ramsey/NU 94.1
5 Joe Milton/MICH 93.0
6 Kyle Trask/FLA 92.7
7 Sean Clifford/PSU 91.2
10 Matt Corral/MISS 86.1

5 of Top 7 from B1G? Didn’t expect to see that...

Reactions: hdhntr1 and rmndcat
Maybe it is time to launch a Ramsey for Heisman campaign. Locked in front runner Trevor Lawrence is way down that list of quarterback ratings.

I'm surprised that NW is still ESPN's preferred abbreviation for NU, given the presence of the "Purple Mafia". I would have figured that Wilbon would have lobbied the graphics department by now to change this. Perhaps it's just under their radar, but they have to be aware of how this annoys the fanbase...

Reminder to self: next time there is an event with Greenie or Wilbon in attendance, need to ask them about this...
I think the majority of people don’t really care about this, it’s just a niche subset that does for whatever reason

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I think the majority of people don’t really care about this, it’s just a niche subset that does for whatever reason
At the risk of being lambasted on here, the NW never really bothered me. It's a simple abbreviation that is easily identifiable as Northwestern. Notice, they didn't call Michigan UM or Wisconsin UW in that list. Not sure why we get all worked up about it.

C, I believe the distress over the NU vs. NW dates back to the (justifiable) lack of respect that we have historically received, pre-Barnett. . . There is, however, no possible justification for using NU to refer to the University of Nebraska!

Reactions: drewjin
5 of Top 7 from B1G? Didn’t expect to see that...
As noted already, a small sample size after one game played for the B1G. We'll see who reverts to the mean, and who (ahem, Ramsey) continues to perform at a high level.

Love to see Ramsey up there, and he was well rated in many of these metrics during his time at IU. Pretty surprised Sean Clifford was graded as the 7th best QB in the nation, certainly didn't look that way from what I saw of that game.

ESPN TOTAL QBR SEASON:
1 Justin Fields/OSU 97.0
2 Mac Jones/BAMA 96.6
3 Graham Mertz/WIS 95.8
4 Peyton Ramsey/NW 94.1
5 Joe Milton/MICH 93.0
6 Kyle Trask/FLA 92.7
7 Sean Clifford/PSU 91.2
10 Matt Corral/MISS 86.1

Notice that 5 of top 7 are from BIG?

C, I believe the distress over the NU vs. NW dates back to the (justifiable) lack of respect that we have historically received, pre-Barnett. . . There is, however, no possible justification for using NU to refer to the University of Nebraska!
Also became important when NEB kept claiming to be NU

Reactions: drewjin

Yes, exactly.

Before Nebraska joined the Big Ten, this didn't bother me nearly as much. I mean, our internet domain was "nwu.edu", so it's not much of a stretch to NW. But Nebraska's official academic abbreviation is UNL, so it baffles me that ESPN frequently uses "NU" for them. And it's not as though they don't use three-letter abbreviations for other teams.

(Sorry for the rant...it's just a pet peeve of mine...)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
As you're likely aware, RogerKim, the NU designation for Nebraska goes back a long way, and was a "Big 8" thing for decades back. (To wit, OU, CU, KU.) The letter switch was also adopted by Northwestern's sort-of-sister (founded by the same man) school, University of Denver. It is invariably referred to as DU, never UD.

Also, I'm guessing that ESPN on-air talent have more important axes to grind than what the Wildcats are called onscreen. Choose your battles and all that, especially in an often surprisingly insecure profession. I doubt that Wilbon's opinion is sought on such matters as graphics abbreviations.

I've worked some in the field and have found that most folks seriously over-estimate the clout of so-called media stars. A friend of mine, a long-time top TV news anchor in a major market, lived in quiet and continuing fear that every contract would be his last. Finally, his fears were fulfilled -- and the termination was dictated by people who earned quite a bit less than his pay grade. Kind of like the life of head coaches ...

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
As you're likely aware, RogerKim, the NU designation for Nebraska goes back a long way, and was a "Big 8" thing for decades back. (To wit, OU, CU, KU.) The letter switch was also adopted by Northwestern's sort-of-sister (founded by the same man) school, University of Denver. It is invariably referred to as DU, never UD.

Also, I'm guessing that ESPN on-air talent have more important axes to grind than what the Wildcats are called onscreen. Choose your battles and all that, especially in an often surprisingly insecure profession. I doubt that Wilbon's opinion is sought on such matters as graphics abbreviations.

I've worked some in the field and have found that most folks seriously over-estimate the clout of so-called media stars. A friend of mine, a long-time top TV news anchor in a major market, lived in quiet and continuing fear that every contract would be his last. Finally, his fears were fulfilled -- and the termination was dictated by people who earned quite a bit less than his pay grade. Kind of like the life of head coaches ...

I wasn’t aware of the Big 8 thing - never really followed any of those teams back in the day, so...

You raise some good points about the power structure in media that I didn’t consider. And yes, this is a really small issue compared to the vast majority of issues that NU alums (at ESPN or otherwise) have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. As I said, it’s just a pet peeve of mine, one that I will probably have to live with for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT