ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Summer League Mega Thread

Disappointing showing from Boo last night. 4 points, 0 assists, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls in 18 minutes and (cover your eyes PWB) a staggering -26 +/- in a game his team only lost by 4.

Also, unless i've missed something, it doesn't seem like Chase is getting into any of the games for the Bulls.

While I'm disappointed for them, I guess it says something about this program that we can make back-to-back tournaments without any real NBA level players.

Disappointing showing from Boo last night. 4 points, 0 assists, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls in 18 minutes and (cover your eyes PWB) a staggering -26 +/- in a game his team only lost by 4.

Also, unless i've missed something, it doesn't seem like Chase is getting into any of the games for the Bulls.

While I'm disappointed for them, I guess it says something about this program that we can make back-to-back tournaments without any real NBA level players.
I’m sure Boo and Chase would perform relatively better over a longer period of time if given that opportunity (maybe it’s why Boo has been starting?), but I agree that our program and all of its facets really made these players better over time and gave them a chance to pursue a dream which was much more relatively out of reach before they stepped onto campus.

The NBA is such a different beast from college ball though. I did a quick look this morning, and pulled 601 players on NBA rosters currently, which includes draft picks but not summer league guys like Boo and Chase.

15% of the league's players (~90) didn't play college ball. A quarter of the players (~150) came from 10 schools - Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Arizona, Michigan, UNC and Villanova. Of the remaining ~360 players, half come from 26 schools that have 5+ players, and the rest come from 95 different schools.

The median years of experience in the league is 3. For players that have been in the league 3 years or fewer, 19% (57) didn't play college ball, 26% (78) come from 10 schools - Kentucky, Baylor, Duke, Arkansas, UConn, Gonzaga, Houston, Kansas, UCLA and Virginia. The other 170 are spread across 92 schools, of which 127 come from 60 P6 schools. So that's an average of 0.46 NBA players per team per season, many of whom will likely not even make the opening day roster.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of teams that make the NCAA tourney each year without NBA-level players

The NBA job market is a lot like every job market. The big-name school in the resume will make it a lot easier to get in, but you’ve got to earn that job to stay. Meanwhile, athletes from lesser-known schools might have more circuitous routes.

Meanwhile, after 2 or 3 years, anybody spending disproportionate time trying to impress coworkers with where they went to school is definitely doing something wrong and probably on the way out.

Cappy remains a Wildcat Report hero.

Reactions: Medill '03
I’m sure Boo and Chase would perform relatively better over a longer period of time if given that opportunity (maybe it’s why Boo has been starting?), but I agree that our program and all of its facets really made these players better over time and gave them a chance to pursue a dream which was much more relatively out of reach before they stepped onto campus.
So far, Boo's biggest problem is missing open shots. His second biggest problem is his passes aren't leading to assists. His third biggest problem, seems to me, is the Suns don't really seem to play team defense and are bad at switches and rotations and leave him chasing a guy off screens.

He can fix the first problem.

The NBA is such a different beast from college ball though. I did a quick look this morning, and pulled 601 players on NBA rosters currently, which includes draft picks but not summer league guys like Boo and Chase.

15% of the league's players (~90) didn't play college ball. A quarter of the players (~150) came from 10 schools - Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Arizona, Michigan, UNC and Villanova. Of the remaining ~360 players, half come from 26 schools that have 5+ players, and the rest come from 95 different schools.

The median years of experience in the league is 3. For players that have been in the league 3 years or fewer, 19% (57) didn't play college ball, 26% (78) come from 10 schools - Kentucky, Baylor, Duke, Arkansas, UConn, Gonzaga, Houston, Kansas, UCLA and Virginia. The other 170 are spread across 92 schools, of which 127 come from 60 P6 schools. So that's an average of 0.46 NBA players per team per season, many of whom will likely not even make the opening day roster.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of teams that make the NCAA tourney each year without NBA-level players
So much for my silver lining :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
So far, Boo's biggest problem is missing open shots. His second biggest problem is his passes aren't leading to assists. His third biggest problem, seems to me, is the Suns don't really seem to play team defense and are bad at switches and rotations and leave him chasing a guy off screens.

He can fix the first problem.
It seems his game doesn't translate to the NBA. Will be a better fit overseas, in Europe or Asia.

So much for my silver lining :confused:
I had some time since I've been sitting at a car dealership for 4 and a half hours, so I looked and found an additional 261 players who are on summer league teams trying to get a roster spot. 232 of those are from 140 D1 schools (143 from 63 P6 schools), and 197 of them are rookies. Most won't sniff an NBA roster.

I had some time since I've been sitting at a car dealership for 4 and a half hours, so I looked and found an additional 261 players who are on summer league teams trying to get a roster spot. 232 of those are from 140 D1 schools (143 from 63 P6 schools), and 197 of them are rookies. Most won't sniff an NBA roster.
Don't fall for the extended warranty gimmick!

Reactions: No Chores

Boo wasn’t going to make the Suns off of his summer league performances. He will have plenty of opportunities to adjust in the G-League. It’s a long shot but I am not prepared to write him off yet. He looks hesitant and a little nervous. I am sure it’s a big adjustment going from everything running through you to trying to blend in on a team that’s only practiced a couple of times.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

I believe the < 3 yr stats indicate that 205 players come from 70 P6 + Gonzaga schools. That’s 2.9 NBA players per P6 team that compare to our zero. Knowing there’s concentration differences by team and that March Madness shows us some schools can compete for a while, I’d say that’s a distinct disadvantage for us in our league.

16 points, 3 dimes, 3 steals, 2 boards, 0 TOs for Boo in a 100-99 win today. 5-12 from field, 4-10 from 3, 2-2 from line.

That’s our Boo!

(Kopp was 4-9 from 3 in the loss for OKC.)

Phx trailed 78-71 entering the fourth, and Boo hit his only two fourth-quarter shots, both deeeeep threes. Kopp played a bad fourth quarter.

As I write, Cavs (Pete) playing Warriors (Pat) on NBATV. Spencer is back and 5-5 from the field with four boards and four dimes. Nance is, erm, quieter. He also started.

16 points, 3 dimes, 3 steals, 2 boards, 0 TOs for Boo in a 100-99 win today. 5-12 from field, 4-10 from 3, 2-2 from line.

That’s our Boo!

Phx trailed 78-71 entering the fourth, and Boo hit his only two fourth-quarter shots, both deeeeep threes. Kopp played a bad fourth quarter.

As I write, Cavs (Pete) playing Warriors (Pat) on NBATV. Spencer is back and 5-5 from the field with four boards and four dimes. Nance is, erm, quieter. He also started.
Nice bounce back for Boo! Great to see.

That’s our Boo!

Why does it annoy the crap out of me that Miller Kopp is playing at the same level as Boo Buie right now?

Nance actually had a good floor game yesterday. 18 mins, missed his only shot (a three), but had 8 total boards, four offensive. He made all four free throws. It’s the type of performance that gets you bench consideration.

Spencer was Basketball Jesus, going 18-5-7 on 5 of 6 shooting, one turnover. Spencer is one of those guys that is probably a scratch golfer and wins every game of darts or cornhole or bowling or axe throwing.

It seems his game doesn't translate to the NBA. Will be a better fit overseas, in Europe or Asia.
I think Boo's game can translate to the NBA. I doubt he'll make a bench this year unless they have a serious need, but a couple of years playing professionally should do it. I don't think he has the talent to be THE guy on an NBA team, so for him to have success he will need to be with guys who play good team ball. So far, I haven't seen much team ball in the summer league outside of maybe the Bulls and the Warriors.

But I only have a small sample size anyhow.

Good news is it sounds like last night Boo's shot was falling a bit better.

Reactions: Hkjb
Cleveland lost to the Lakers on Wednesday despite a big scoring game from Pete Nance. Nance was 7-16 (2-8 from 3) with 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 turnovers.

(Bronny had 13 points and 5 boards on 5-10 shooting.)

Three former Cats on NBATV on Friday. Boo plays the Bucks at 3 Central. Chase and the Bulls play the Hawks at 5. And Spencer and the Warriors play the Thunder (and Mopp) at 930.

Go Cats Go Cats Go.

Nance had four fouls, which seems amazingly aggressive for the guy I remember.

That’s our Boo!

Boo went on a 8-0 run by himself and the entire spurt went unmentioned because the tv guys were interviewing the Suns owner about hosting the WNBA all star game. It was criminal!

I think Boo's game can translate to the NBA. I doubt he'll make a bench this year unless they have a serious need, but a couple of years playing professionally should do it. I don't think he has the talent to be THE guy on an NBA team, so for him to have success he will need to be with guys who play good team ball. So far, I haven't seen much team ball in the summer league outside of maybe the Bulls and the Warriors.

But I only have a small sample size anyhow.

Good news is it sounds like last night Boo's shot was falling a bit better.
A good point guard doesn't need to be THE guy; he needs to be a force-multiplier for the rest of the guys. That, I think, Boo could be.

A good point guard doesn't need to be THE guy; he needs to be a force-multiplier for the rest of the guys. That, I think, Boo could be.
Yes, I believe we agree.

Today's game, Boo had the most minutes on his team. His stat line is decent but not great - at least two of those fouls were shooting fouls.

25 minutes, 4-11/3-7 with 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers, and 5 fouls.

I'll have to watch the game to see what it really looked like as the coaches seem to like having him on the court.

Reactions: DaCat and NUCat320
I'll have to watch the game to see what it really looked like as the coaches seem to like having him on the court.
As I wrote when he signed, Boo couldn’t have found a better team. With Booker and Beal and Durant (combined $150million this year), they’ve got no roster flexibility and will be stacking minimum salary guys.

This involves words like “apron” and “luxury tax” and “MLE” and “Taxpayer MLE”, and I know not what they mean. But, they’ll need players on the minimum salary.

Reactions: DaCat
Pat had a pretty good game tonight, he had some turnovers but at least half of them were too risky passes he probably wouldn't try in a real game. He looks like a guy who can come off the bench at the next level and not screw things up.

It turns out Kopp played in the same game, but I didn't notice him until after it was over and I was looking at the box score. Maldanado was the OKC leader, but his game seemed a lot like 'drive into the crowd and try drawing a foul'. He was decent at it, but I really don't like that game.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT