ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Considers Immediate Transfer Eligibility

Reactions: ricko654321
I am all for this as long as any team caught recruiting a player before they enter the portal gets a severe and consistent penalty, like losing scholarships and a post season ban.

Also, would wait until the 21-22 year to prevent any potential for schools to get destroyed by departures with nowhere to turn. Yes, this could happen any year, but the staff would probably have a good idea who was leaving based on end of year reviews and the general scuttlebutt . It would probably level out after an initial surge at some dysfunctional schools since it is limited to one time.

I am all for this as long as any team caught recruiting a player before they enter the portal gets a severe and consistent penalty, like losing scholarships and a post season ban.

That will never happen. The NCAA is as rigged as pro wrestling as far as favorable treatment goes. NU is actually about top 50 of 130 as far as favoritism goes but it is a system rigged for the big money. It is not going to get any better in our current political climate.

Does this mean that non-power 5 schools can serve as "farm teams" for bigger schools? This really opens up an entirely new era.
That's exactly what will happen. I don't know why anybody with a sense of fairness would support this.

Reactions: IGNORE2
That's exactly what will happen. I don't know why anybody with a sense of fairness would support this.

Because it is in the best interest of the student-athletes.

I still think that schools should be limited on the number of transfers they can take each year and/or over a rolling period of time. Say no more than 5 in a given year and 10 in a 3-year window. Would at least keep a limit on the number of guys the Bama’s, OSU’s, etc. could “draft.”

Fairness to who? You can’t be speaking about the players. Why should they be penalized when Coaches have Carte Blanche to leave when they want and treat players how they want. You can’t keep your players shame on you. No different than a Manager that can’t keep his or her employees.

The teams? Not in college football. Give me a pool of a dozen teams and I’ll pick the National Champion at least 8 of the next 10 years, all 10 is a realistic possibility. The race for the Natty is a joke and over 80% of P5 teams have next to zero chance of winning the Natty.

Basketball is a much bigger worry. Building dream teams and they could happen almost anywhere. Baylor, San Diego State, Dayton, and Gonzaga are 4 of the top 5 teams in the country today. Hardly historic blue bloods. Doubt the NC, Kentucky and the like will stand for that.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
At what point does it become the norm for every athlete to enter the portal just to let schools contact. Portal doesn’t have to mean transfer. And if one or two on a team, enter then I can see a coach sitting.

But if the normal is to be in the portal then coaches just have to practice and play as normal.

I like limited number of transfers on the team like they limit scholarships. I also think a rule should be established that no athlete in the portal can compete. They can practice, but are not eligible to play.

One good reason would that an athlete can have a handshake deal but delays because the teams are scheduled to play against each other. Imagine how that would look...

Does this mean that non-power 5 schools can serve as "farm teams" for bigger schools? This really opens up an entirely new era.
Based on what we've seen, wouldn't you expect most transfers to be guys from Power5 schools that couldn't cut it who transfer down to get playing time?

Based on what we've seen, wouldn't you expect most transfers to be guys from Power5 schools that couldn't cut it who transfer down to get playing time?
Seems like it would cut both ways to me. I like that the players have more options but I could also see more players getting run off of the top teams.

Reactions: GOUNUII
I'd rather pay the players than for this system to occur. While both paths ultimately benefit blue bloods or cheaters, paying is the lesser of two evils.

Just look at our own situation this year with Sko.

Imagine developing a few studs like we do (lanny, gaz, slater, kafka, thor, etc) and then Ohio State, ND, even programs like Wisconsin come in and pick them off their Jr/Sr seasons to augment their roster. Sickening.

I'm all for immediate transfer eligibility if the coach leaves and/or coach is fired. Other than that, keep the current transfer system because it at least prevents a pure free agency system.

I'd rather pay the players than for this system to occur. While both paths ultimately benefit blue bloods or cheaters, paying is the lesser of two evils.

Imagine developing a few studs like we do (lanny, gaz, slater, kafka, thor, etc) and then Ohio State, ND, even programs like Wisconsin come in and pick them off their Jr/Sr seasons to augment their roster. Sickening.

I'm all for immediate transfer eligibility if the coach leaves and/or coach is fired. Other than that, keep the current transfer system because it at least prevents a pure free agency system.
I think for this to be accurate, the Gaz, Thor, Lanny types would have to be dissatisfied with the NU value proposition and WANT to transfer to The OSU’s and ND’s of the world. Sure, we would lose a few players to the blue bloods and be totally pissed about it, but conversely I could see NU pick up plenty of players that initial turn NU down by the allure of the blue bloods. Think a Cam Martinez, JJ MCCarthy where NU might have been second but the kid just couldn’t get past going to a blue blood. Once they experience it and things don’t work out ( not saying this will happen with these two) maybe they see things from a different perspective.

Who has been the highest ranked HS player on NU the last decade? Kyle Prater and Hunter Johnson. Both transfers in from blue bloods, both recruited out of HS.

I think for this to be accurate, the Gaz, Thor, Lanny types would have to be dissatisfied with the NU value proposition and WANT to transfer to The OSU’s and ND’s of the world. Sure, we would lose a few players to the blue bloods and be totally pissed about it, but conversely I could see NU pick up plenty of players that initial turn NU down by the allure of the blue bloods. Think a Cam Martinez, JJ MCCarthy where NU might have been second but the kid just couldn’t get past going to a blue blood. Once they experience it and things don’t work out ( not saying this will happen with these two) maybe they see things from a different perspective.

Who has been the highest ranked HS player on NU the last decade? Kyle Prater and Hunter Johnson. Both transfers in from blue bloods, both recruited out of HS.

That’s the majority of the transfer portal now.

Lost in this discussion is the length of scholarship offered. If a kid goes to a school on a 1-year scholarship, why shouldn't the kid be able to transfer without restriction to another school after a year? What if the kid has a 4-year scholarship? Shouldn't the kid's transfer options be limited during the 4 years?

The problem is neither Kyle Prater or Hunter Johnson have so far turned out to be studs for us whereas I foresee guys that are poached from us as already solidifying themselves as solid college players looking to get onto an even bigger stage.

I could imagine a guy like Ifeadi being fustrated by being at "just Northwestern" and transfer to a place like OSU later on in his career

Reactions: nugnrfan82
One factor influencing portal decisions that may come into play once “student athletes” are able to monetize themselves is contractual obligations. Example: a 4 star signs with a P5 football factory program ( OSU, eg ) and, as part of the—unspoken, but very real—quid pro quo for his allegiance, a big program booster, Billy Bob’s Auto Dealership, signs him to an advertising deal that pays him $100K upfront ( think signing bonus ) and then guarantees him $75K for every year he stays with the program. If he subsequently doesn’t crack the starting line up, but is now inked to a commercial contract, will he be willing to, or be able to, leave that contact behind? How this monetization will play out is anyone’s guess, but IMO this scenario is not that far fetched.

The problem is neither Kyle Prater or Hunter Johnson have so far turned out to be studs for us whereas I foresee guys that are poached from us as already solidifying themselves as solid college players looking to get onto an even bigger stage.

I could imagine a guy like Ifeadi being fustrated by being at "just Northwestern" and transfer to a place like OSU later on in his career
I agree with that. A guy like Zak Kustok however turned out pretty good.

Despite any free agency, OSU can only have 85 players on schlorship. I really don’t think they would have took Gaz, Thor or Lanny. As good as they were, OSU already had comparable or better players. Ifeadi wasn’t going there either when OSU could have pirated other more proven players. I think Skoronek to ND isn’t happening either when he had multiple years of eligibility left. ND took a one year risk to fill a position of need. They didn’t tie up a scholly for 3 or more years. They would not have accepted him IMO if the used up one of their 85 spots for multiple years. He wasn’t a finished product. I actually believe this rule could adversely impact a school like OSU. Their depth could be hit. What back up stud is going to want to ride the bench when they can immediately play high level football at another P5? Joe Burrow comes to mind. Where would he be if he stayed at OSU? Now he is the projected first pick in the NFL draft.

The guardrails suggested by GCG on the number each team can take in a year or on their roster at one time is a reasonable approach to allowing movement without having teams reload every year.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
An unintended consequence may be that the number of transfers provides an unofficial grade on a coach and the program's "culture". Not clear. Shaw has a lot of portal players this year. Issue with program? Edsall has a lot also. Likely an issue. Fuentes also. Issue? Will recruits look negatively at programs with a lot of transfers? Probably.

Similar to how the non-P5 schools serve as “farm teams” for coaches and ADs, who can move without any repercussions?

I’m all for modifying this rule, even if it’s limited to players in programs whose coaches leave or are fired. Or, make coaches that voluntarily switch schools sit out a year too. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander; and student-athletes are people too.

IO wouldn’t be in the NFL now if he spent his junior and senior seasons at OSU. Never would’ve seen the field.

I have no concerns that NU would be hurt by this. Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, MSU could be raided by OSU or maybe Penn State and Michigan, but that’s because the bigger programs offer the same as the first four programs, but more and better. NU is different — and in almost every case, every NU recruit had some more ‘traditional’ offers (bigger school, easier academics, better tradition, larger crowds) that they spurned because they liked NU.

NU would be a net gainer under immediate transfer eligibility (though still a minor player in the game, I think).

So the moral of the story is all levels of Coaches are doing things in the best interest of their team and not necessarily their players. That’s a shock.

The non P5 coaches don’t redshirt their players when it would be beneficial to their development out of fear to losing the player for their most productive year(s). They slow play the classes they take to make sure they don’t graduate early and are “forced” to play their 4th year at their school because they haven’t graduated.

The P5 Coaches are vultures using middle men to gauge interest. They take kids knowing their isn’t much risk to a 1 year commitment and most kids don’t get their graduate degree.

common denominator is coaches and schools do what is in THEIR best interest. Why shouldn't a kid be able to control what is in HIS best interest in his mind. Who else watches out for the kid when he gets in a situation that is not in his own best interest?

We are screwed. Gone will be the days when we find a Paddy Fisher and he stays. After one stud year, he would be able to move up from our AAA club and go into the Big Leagues of Playoff contenders. Sad

Guys would/will come and some will go. Honestly, I think it would/will balance itself out, but I'm disappointed to see this aspect of professionalism seep into college athletics. I've always preferred college to pro sports for that last shred of loyalty.

If it were up to me, I would allow immediate transfer only if/when there is a change to the player's head coach or position coach...which would ideally also cut down the revolving door of hiring/firing.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We are screwed. Gone will be the days when we find a Paddy Fisher and he stays. After one stud year, he would be able to move up from our AAA club and go into the Big Leagues of Playoff contenders. Sad
Yeah, I don’t think so.
Most of those smart enough to go to NU are also smart enough not to leave.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
Yeah, I don’t think so.
Most of those smart enough to go to NU are also smart enough not to leave.
why would they be smart not to leave if the NU football program was limiting their potential in their chosen professional field?
There are some who come here that are never offered to their dream school. Why stick around, after a solid first year, if the dream school takes notice? Smart players need to keep their options open. Just seems silly to have a closed mind in my opinion. Not sure what is gained, in football terms, of staying at NU?

why would they be smart not to leave if the NU football program was limiting their potential in their chosen professional field?
There are some who come here that are never offered to their dream school. Why stick around, after a solid first year, if the dream school takes notice? Smart players need to keep their options open. Just seems silly to have a closed mind in my opinion. Not sure what is gained, in football terms, of staying at NU?
We would likely lose a few good players, but far less than most programs. Clemson only has 85 players. Who exactly would they pilfer on NU that would suddenly elevate them over LSU? I would also argue that we would get more than we lost. After players are in the “system” a few years they realize in many cases they were sold a bill of goods. Being third string at OSU or scout team isn’t glorious. How many people would run away from nut jobs like Hardballs at Michigan? How many would get fed up with the sham classes and crappy degree? The schools that would have the most impact would be from conferences like the MAC and AAC schools. They would primary be exposed to schools like Minnesota, Nebraska, and Illinois, not the blue bloods. They almost need another division in college football if this becomes prevalent. P5 as one division, every other D1 as a second division. Both play for National titles. Your thinking like it is 1974 Turk.

We would likely lose a few good players, but far less than most programs. Clemson only has 85 players. Who exactly would they pilfer on NU that would suddenly elevate them over LSU? I would also argue that we would get more than we lost. After players are in the “system” a few years they realize in many cases they were sold a bill of goods. Being third string at OSU or scout team isn’t glorious. How many people would run away from nut jobs like Hardballs at Michigan? How many would get fed up with the sham classes and crappy degree? The schools that would have the most impact would be from conferences like the MAC and AAC schools. They would primary be exposed to schools like Minnesota, Nebraska, and Illinois, not the blue bloods. They almost need another division in college football if this becomes prevalent. P5 as one division, every other D1 as a second division. Both play for National titles. Your thinking like it is 1974 Turk.
Yea, I suppose we would maybe come out ahead since we lose out on so many studs who end up going to their dream school but not panning out. But of all of the 'stud' 4 or 5 star that end up a bit upset at their committed school and ended up coming here, how many of them really were productive?
Z Kustoc was. Jeff Roehl. Isn't that about it?
Nagle, Sean Bennett, Whitherspoon, Cerasani......way back.....to the present with Hunter Johnson. The only other one that was halfway productive was the transfer punter from Florida who hit the game winner against MSU back in 2001?

The best thing about our football program is that, for the most part, the team sticks together and we probably get 3.5 years out of every commitment. When the stats came out a few years ago, OSU only got 2 years per commitment. Few 5th years, some 'one and done's, early draft, etc

Yea, I suppose we would maybe come out ahead since we lose out on so many studs who end up going to their dream school but not panning out. But of all of the 'stud' 4 or 5 star that end up a bit upset at their committed school and ended up coming here, how many of them really were productive?
Nagle, Sean Bennett, Whitherspoon, Cerasani......way back.....to the present with Hunter Johnson. The only other one that was halfway productive was the transfer punter from Florida who hit the game winner against MSU back in 2001?

The best thing about our football program is that, for the most part, the team sticks together and we probably get 3.5 years out of every commitment. When the stats came out a few years ago, OSU only got 2 years per commitment. Few 5th years, some 'one and done's, early draft, etc

The ignorance is strong with this one.

Reactions: Bwm57

Excellent points Turk. Although HJ may back up Green.

If their singular goal is to make it into the NFL, we will see people transferring. However, those that are looking for a great education will stay

Reactions: Bwm57

Or they would have incentive to enroll early, graduate in 3.5 years with NU degree and then transfer just when at their peak.

ADVERTISEMENT