ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Projections

BracketMatrix has NU as the lowest eighth seed, before start of games yesterday. Nebraska a 9 and MSU a 10, an Wisconsin a 6. I’d enjoy snacking down Wisconsin on Friday more than I’d enjoy “TBD” doing it for us.

Reactions: GatoLouco
If the current bracket on ESPN plays out then there will be and we beat Colorado state then there will be a big time party at my house with my wife and brother in law both having gone to the University of Houston

If the current bracket on ESPN plays out then there will be and we beat Colorado state then there will be a big time party at my house with my wife and brother in law both having gone to the University of Houston
What’s unfortunate is that the #1 seed that we’d have the best chance against is Purdue, but the NCAA avoids interconference matchups in the second round for some reason.

I want little to do with UConn. Is Houston beatable?

BracketMatrix has NU as the lowest eighth seed, before start of games yesterday. Nebraska a 9 and MSU a 10, a Wisconsin a 6. I’d enjoy snacking down Wisconsin on Friday more than I’d enjoy “TBD” doing it for us.
Brooklyn please!

Reactions: CatManTrue
Brooklyn please!
While I’m huge fan of landing in Brooklyn, I’m not looking forward to any matchup with UConn. They look like they’re still pissed off after winning the national title last year and not getting their due as a blue blood.

That being said… we’d have Boo showing off with a New York city crowd! He might work some more magic in that setting.

While I’m huge fan of landing in Brooklyn, I’m not looking forward to any matchup with UConn. They look like they’re still pissed off after winning the national title last year and not getting their due as a blue blood.

That being said… we’d have Boo showing off with a New York city crowd! He might work some more magic in that setting.
It's a shame NU doesn't have the chance to win a couple of games to improve our seeding. 😀😀😀

Just kidding CMT

It's a shame NU doesn't have the chance to win a couple of games to improve our seeding. 😀😀😀

Just kidding CMT
Look, this is a fair debate and unlike most of our more reticent posters I’m happy to have it.

Let’s say we expend all that energy, risk the health of our starters, win a game or two, and become a 7 seed.

Which likely 2 seed do you prefer to play over UConn, Houston, or Tennessee? Our odds are perhaps a bit better - or the same - as against any of the 1 seeds.

Interestingly, if we could finagle a second round matchup against Duke I think it’s worth it. But I think they’ll be a 3 seed.

They’re very beatable, and imagine the trash talk between CCC and Coach K’s successor.

That being said, it would suck to face Flip and Young without Nicholson.

Look, this is a fair debate and unlike most of our more reticent posters I’m happy to have it.

Let’s say we expend all that energy, risk the health of our starters, win a game or two, and become a 7 seed.

Which likely 2 seed do you prefer to play over UConn, Houston, or Tennessee? Our odds are perhaps a bit better - or the same - as against any of the 1 seeds.

Interestingly, if we could finagle a second round matchup against Duke I think it’s worth it. But I think they’ll be a 3 seed.

They’re very beatable, and imagine the trash talk between CCC and Coach K’s successor.

It a debate from one person. I literally have seen no one besides you advocate to partially “rest” the starters in the BTT. It’s a bizarre opinion by someone who was an athlete.

Reactions: phatcat

You really don’t think there’s a significant difference between UConn/Houston and Iowa State, UNC and Marquette (with a questionable Kolek)?

NU would have a significantly better chance of beating Iowa State, UNC or Marquette than UConn or Houston. It wouldn’t be a pick ‘em but I also don’t know that NU would be double digit dogs against any of those 2s. They are plenty beatable… even short handed.

All of those teams are good, whether a 1 or a 2, and NU will be a dog. They took punches from Gonzaga and UCLA - both teams that looked at the time just as good as any of the top eight teams this year - and made the games competitive in the second half.

Until NU reaches the point that they are a 1 or 2 seed, they're always going to face a really good team that will be hard to beat in the second round.

And even the first round too. I felt good about Boise State matchup last year, but it's not like that was an obvious win by any means. The best thing about playing Houston or UConn this year is it means NU won another first-round matchup, which is awesome.

All of those teams are good, whether a 1 or a 2, and NU will be a dog. They took punches from Gonzaga and UCLA - both teams that looked at the time just as good as any of the top eight teams this year - and made the games competitive in the second half.

Until NU reaches the point that they are a 1 or 2 seed, they're always going to face a really good team that will be hard to beat in the second round.

And even the first round too. I felt good about Boise State matchup last year, but it's not like that was an obvious win by any means. The best thing about playing Houston or UConn this year is it means NU won another first-round matchup, which is awesome.
Every AQ in the tournament is good. Nobody is getting Penn State or Rutgers in a tourney game.

My point is that NU probably has a 3x better chance of beating the likely 2 seeds compared to Houston and UConn. Maybe even more than 3x. NUs chances of beating UConn or Houston are almost certainly below 5% with the current roster.

Perhaps I’m overvaluing UConn and Houston, but I see them as VASTLY superior to everyone else in the field… Purdue included. Edey’s crap wouldn’t work at all against either team.

Reactions: SmellyCat
It a debate from one person. I literally have seen no one besides you advocate to partially “rest” the starters in the BTT. It’s a bizarre opinion by someone who was an athlete.
I admit that I find his obsession with this fascinating. Let's say we (illegally) tank the game. Then, the starters would have had nearly TWO WEEKS rest. At some point, rest begets rust

Given we’re unlikely to impact our seeding much in the BTT - unless we win it or lose bigtime in the first round - I’m advocating that we rest our starters, who have been averaging an insane number of minutes, and developing our depth.

I would like to see Mullins, Smith, and Hunger and/or Preston play a ton against Wisconsin (assuming they’re the 5 seed). They clearly need the minutes, the confidence, and more experience against tournament level teams. And we clearly need more depth we can trust against these types of teams.

What matters is March, and we have a chance on Friday to better prepare for it. I hope CCC realizes this too.

Reactions: mickbula
Given we’re unlikely to impact our seeding much in the BTT - unless we win it or lose bigtime in the first round - I’m advocating that we rest our starters, who have been averaging an insane number of minutes, and developing our depth.

I would like to see Mullins, Smith, and Hunger and/or Preston play a ton against Wisconsin (assuming they’re the 5 seed). They clearly need the minutes, the confidence, and more experience against tournament level teams. And we clearly need more depth we can trust against these types of teams.

What matters is March, and we have a chance on Friday to better prepare for it. I hope CCC realizes this too.
As I said, you are literally on an island with this proposal. I am darn near positive, the Starters and Coaches think this is a horrendous idea. I know I do, but I trust CCC’s opinion more than mine.

They made this far. Every game should be cherished and they are only guaranteed two games at this point. No sitting starters out. They should play their hearts out and relish every moment. They deserve it.

Reactions: SmellyCat
What’s unfortunate is that the #1 seed that we’d have the best chance against is Purdue, but the NCAA avoids interconference matchups in the second round for some reason.

I want little to do with UConn. Is Houston beatable?
That isn’t true without our starting center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT